IGNORED

Clinical Coder

LOAlane

Hi all, I’m about to turn 40 and looking at a possible career change and was interested in clinical coding.

Does anyone here do this and happy to share your experience? Do you think this job will still be in demand in the near future or is it becoming more automated?

Thanks

Littlepickle

Hi OP. If you already have a health related degree and would only require a short course to transition across to clinical coding I would go for it. Whilst it will become fully automated in the future the cost/ time required to implement full electronic records with AI algorithms across the healthcare system will likely take 8-10 years. 

good luck

• Thanks 1

IamtheMumma

I started to study this 4 years ago. 2 yr course only offered part time for 6K. I do have a health care background. 

Now the job itself earns a decent amount of money, is interesting and plenty of work, but the industry body for clinical coding was so frustrating and they were using outdated information. They were so rigid and unorganised in their processes that I gave up. 

• Thanks 1

Littlepickle
5 hours ago, LOAlane said:

Thank you @Littlepickle. I don’t have a medical background, just administration in financial services but I would do the study required.

Do you work in this field?

I have experience working with clinical coders over many years and across lots of different projects. If you could knock the course over in 2 years part time then it may be worth completing if you are after a career change. If you could back that up with some project management courses (not necessarily University based) that might put you at the fore front around the change management required as the industry moves to automated processes. 

Advertisement