IGNORED

Nutrition for active & skinny 13 yo

Lou

DS (13 yrs) has a lot of sport going on this year. I think I need to focus on his nutrition especially for the busier days each week. Any suggestions- good website I should be reading for this stuff? He’s a fussy eater too. 

many thanks 

Lou 

Plentyrunninggirl

I don’t have any resources but I think it’s important at 13 that you sit down together and talk about how you are going to manage this.  

I would be focussing (and I do for my sporty boys, 13 and 10) on:

Something for breakfast - carbs, protein, a drink. 

Appropriate food through the day (sandwich or wrap, piece of fruit, muffin or biscuits)

Pre-activity snack - usually fruit (apple, banana, toast, carrot sticks and dip)

Dinner

Managing appropriate fluid intake. 

We talk about having enough energy for activities but also enough for your brain to work and concentrate properly at school.  We try to make sure it isn’t empty calories - that there are nutrients attached to each step.  If he is fussy then talk about what he would like to eat and then about the choices he is making.  I talk to mine about needing to limit activities if they are not eating appropriately. 

• Like 2

Our biggest challenge when my eldest, a very fussy eater at the time, was playing competitive sports was just getting enough calories into her. I agree with PP above's suggestion to put together a general meal plan with your DS to make sure he's consuming enough calories, as well as eating nutritious foods.

I have a fussy very very skinny 15yr old so I know the struggle. I focus on basic meals when I am home to cook, potatoes loads of veg and some kind of vegan protein like tofu or a vegan snitzel, sausages or burger patty.

Make sure your incorporating nutritionally dense foods where you can. Porridge loaded with seeds and nuts, nut butters, maca powder, medjool dates. Bulk out meals with Lentils if they are tolerated. 

Medjool dates filled with peanut butter are awesomely nutritionally dense. Toast with avocado and seeds. Toast with nut butter, sliced banana and coconut.  Make single serves of chia pudding topped with fruit, coconut yogurt and nuts. Another favourite here is fruit toast with cashew cream and chia jam. Jacket potato's with baked beans. 

I always have single serves of Dahl and rice in the freezer for whe  we are time poor. I use this recipe. https://veganhuggs.com/red-lentil-dahl/comment-page-1/?unapproved=37621&moderation-hash=8046ffacaf7292ccf344eef912f28eb0#recipe

We also always have lentil soup in the freezer which he has with a toasty or two, and often have leftover chilli or shepherds pie in the freezer. 

My main focus is making sure every single meal has a good source of Carbs, Protein and fat. I am very lucky that even though he is fussy he loves most things I cook. He has food fears when eating out or with other people peoples cooking. Even a toasted sad which at a Cafe is treated with fear and suspicion.  

Sorry if this post is a bit scattered. I really need to pee. 

Edited by Willa May
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Get a nutribullet - you can make all sorts of shakes very quickly. My favourite is 2 bananas, muesli, natural yoghurt, spoon of peanut butter, milk and ice. 

Advertisement