IGNORED

Who else is in the no Covid club?

LunaFreya

It feels like the membership of this club is getting smaller and smaller. Me and DS are members despite quite a few close shaves

Anyone else not managed to get the virus? 
Perhaps it’s my immune system. Or it’s luck and I’m eventually going to run out.

Me too🙋🏻‍♀️ I have no idea how.
Neither have my kids or DH. DH & kids have all had close contacts come in to work & school. All of our neighbours except one have had it in our apartment block.

Edited by kalanchoe

Checking in.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a blood test said I had, I've been exposed so many times, I've just never had the symptoms and always tested negative.

DH has had it. DD has had it. All of my colleagues bar one has had it and every single time I was a workplace contact.

• Like 4
  • 100 1

I only got COVID in August this year, but I had almost no symptoms.  If DP hadn't tested positive I never would have tested and I got a lovely week off work where I got lots of jobs done, as I wasn't feeling sick at all.  

16 yr old DD has never had it as far as we know. She is quite sick this week, however have done 4 RATs and no positive still for her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Me too.  But I am not sure if perhaps I have had it but didn’t know about it.  Both my kids had it but I never tested positive despite lots of PCRs and RAT tests.

• 100 1

None of us have had it yet, that we know of. My parents and brother have had it though. We have been getting a lot of sinus infections this year though, but keep testing negative, so who knows.

That's as far as you know - doesn't the research show that plenty (I'm not sure of the %) who think they've never had it, actually have had it according to research blood tests?

Husband only had his clear first in September (the usual: plane flight), but when our daughter and I both had it, he felt unwell for about six hours at precisely the right time, and his multiple PCRs at the time (about five) were all negative.

• Like 5

Well I’ve tried to get tested when I’ve been exposed it had symptoms but they’ve all been negative 

I might have had it very mild or no symptoms but it’s hard to tell 

Im going away for the weekend with friends. We’ve hired a bus and the organiser has asked us all to RAT test. Mine is negative 

• Like 3

Have never tested positive despite several PCR and numerous RATs. Must do another RAT this morning actually as I am off to the dr with sore throat and cough. My two eldest children and DP have both had COVID, but nobody else in my family has to their knowledge.

13 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Husband only had his clear first in September (the usual: plane flight), but when our daughter and I both had it, he felt unwell for about six hours at precisely the right time, and his multiple PCRs at the time (about five) were all negative.

I had cold like symptoms five days after my DS tested positive but just could not get a positive either by two PCRs or daily RATs.   I tested a lot because we were about to go to England and wanted to make sure I wasn’t positive.  

I can’t find any discussion on the existence of positive cases that simply don’t get picked up at all via testing.  Have you seen anything?

When both my kids tested positive, the results came up immediately on the RAT, it was so undeniable.

Edited by Iamferalz
  • Like 1

Phillipa Crawford

i haven't had it.
As a teacher I was PCRing every sniffle and then since RATs were expected testing twice a week.
I have also been very cautious and am pretty antisocial so limited opportunity for contracting it.

3 minutes ago, Iamferalz said:

I had cold like symptoms five days after my DS tested positive but just could not get a positive either by two PCRs or daily RATs.   I tested a lot because we were about to go to England and wanted to make sure I wasn’t positive.  

I can’t find any discussion on the existence of positive cases that simply don’t get picked up at all via testing.  Have you seen anything?

Here is some reporting of a study that was done.

They screened blood donations for the info:

https://kirby.unsw.edu.au/news/june-almost-half-aussies-had-recently-had-covid-19

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/vast-majority-of-australian-population-has-had-cov

Edited by enry iggins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DH is in this club going by negative tests. He is generally the iron gut person or who might get a sniffle while the rest of us are taken out for a week.  However we're not entirely convinced he's been 100% cv free. 

In December 2019, on an overseas work trip to a massive international convention, he became really sick for 3 days. And it took him weeks to fully recover - he was tired and dizzy, no energy for quite a while. It start to hit the news here in the next month or so, and when they kinda narrowed down estimated first infection in that country, the dates match up. We joked that was what he got. 

He also was sick recently,  and the trajectory, symptoms, blah blah reminded me a lot of my covid. He tested negative a few times. Again has taken a few weeks to feel right.

But, we all caught that last round and I felt it was so similar to my prior covid, after 4 neg RATs, I got PCR'd. Still negative. 

So, either covid has more variants than we realise and tests may not pick it up or the viruses going around this year are *lovely* and potent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, enry iggins said:

Those links do not address what I am asking about though.  Presumably, the underreported cases did not test at all due to the asymptomatic or mild symptoms. It also said in one article not everyone reported their positive RAT tests.

What I am asking is whether there is discussion on whether PCR tests particularly are not picking up positive cases at all.

• Like 1

Along with DD2, tested negative twice in recent days. DH and DS1 tested positive yesterday. DD1 had it earlier this year, and DS2 has not (both adults who no longer live at home).

16 minutes ago, enry iggins said:

You know what really shits me? The advice is to be up to date with vax, yet we can't get kids boosted. Despite the covid infection stats for children being not far behind the stats for adults. 

"Preventative measures people! Yet don't rely on us to help provide those for you!" 

Isn't it smart economics to try to protect the future workforce and healthcare system from what could possibly be lifelong disability from covid?!

(Taking this angle because it's clear the govt doesn't really give a shit about communities under any other terms).

Edited by spr_mdn
  • Like 6
  • 100 6

11 minutes ago, Iamferalz said:

Those links do not address what I am asking about though.  Presumably, the underreported cases did not test at all due to the asymptomatic or mild symptoms. It also said in one article not everyone reported their positive RAT tests.

What I am asking is whether there is discussion on whether PCR tests particularly are not picking up positive cases at all.

This link from health vic talks in the notes about false negatives on PCR for children in particular. I have read another link about well vaccinated people testing false negative but cant find it again right at the moment

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/covid-19/assessment-and-testing-criteria-for-covid-19

• Like 2

We've all had it and it was very mild for us. I was tired for a day, one child had a bit of a sniffle, two were asymptomatic and DH of course made out like he was dying. I'm chalking that up to man flu as opposed to Covid. We only reported DH's positive RAT because he needed to for work. Mine was picked up on PCR on Day 6 (back when isolating the entire household for 7 days was still a thing) so that's registered as well. Didn't bother with the kids.

I know plenty of people who haven't had Covid. My Mum and my in laws haven't. My ex hasn't. Our next door neighbours haven't. Lots of friends, team mates and colleagues haven't.

Still so far me, but DD tested positive for the first time  yesterday so we'll see. We didn't catch it in June when DH was positive. Despite multiple RAT and also a PCR each.

DD has caught every other virus going this year though 

My 13 year old son hasn’t, despite sharing a house and bathroom with 3 covid positive people, over 3 seperate weeks. We certainly didn’t bother about extra cleaning. My 78 year old mum hasn’t either, and she visits dad in a nursing home regularly 

I have read that at least 50% of people who say they haven't had COVID actually have. RATs are definitely not definitive and symptoms for some can be very mild, almost none ( that was me ) I only tested because DH was positive.

If we've had a sore throat and runny nose in a household of others testing positive on a RAT I believe the presumption is that we all have it.

I have lots of family members with COVID, some have had negative RATs but positive PCR. Some didn't bother with a PCR even though they had a neg RAT because the other 3 in the house had the same symptoms and were positive so they all isolated together and got better together.

Right now I have a son his partner and their 2 children with COVID. The smallest child tests negative on RAT but there is no way this entire bed sharing family do not have the same virus.

I also have a DD with COVID, she has been really sick, she managed to escape it in her work situation of caring for COVID patients because of full PPE but going out into a world where very few people seem to care she has got it.

• Like 1
  • Care 1
  • Crying 1
  • Sad 3

No one in my house has had it, that we know of. Despite two workers who have worked all the way through lockdowns.

Any sign of sickness has been tested with a RAT, anything that would be more than a day off work/school has been a Pcr test. As well as testing for close contacts.

Both dh and dd21 have done soooooo many RATS (work supplied) as part of surveillance testing, especially DH who was testing pretty much every day to get onto mine sites during the peak covid periods. He still does them regularly at various sites. DD in childcare has had a lot of close contacts (although not officially declared as close contacts because it wasn’t more than 4 hours in a home, just 10 hours in a single room with 8-10 kids lol), so has done a lot of PCRs.

So based on how often they have tested, it feels unlikely that we had it and neither of them tested positive.  But I’ve also seen DD18 get seriously sick several times this year (not covid)  and nobody else caught it from her. I do wonder if maybe she did have covid  early on, without symptoms, because something has definitely tanked her immune system this year.

My parents in their 70s haven’t had it either. The way my mum gets seriously I’ll from a cold makes me think it is unlikely she would have got through covid without being pretty sick.

Regardless of whether or not we have had covid, I’m just thankful nobody in my family has actually gotten sick from covid. 

• Like 1

Advertisement