IGNORED

QLD General Discussion Thread

JustBeige

As per our Announcement, we are going to be closing the Covid state threads for now and having just a general chat thread for each state.   If anyone regional wants a specific region one please feel free to start one. 

So this is your new QLD General Discussion Thread. :)

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

Silver and single digits this morning with a side order of "too lazy to go around you" wind here - but you wouldn't appreciate paradise if it was PERFECT all the time ;)

• 100 2

Wooden spoon 😆

I’m wearing my Michelin man ski jacket morning and night at the moment.  It’s so warm that I don’t actually wear it skiing because it’s too hot.  I pack it whenever we travel to the snow but rarely actually wear it except in Qld during these cold few weeks of winter 😆 

My DH thinks I look like an idiot but I think he’s the idiot because he tries to be tough in his regular cotton clothes plus a cotton hoodie with bare feet.  His teeth are chattering and he’s whinging about the weather yet laughing at me.  Who’s the idiot I say 😆

• Haha 6

VictorineTheCatLover

I put some furniture together this morning and actually ended up with humidititties lol

Back in longs and slippers now and enjoying a G and T while waiting for the lamb roast to cook 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oodie weather for my DD. 

Very early on Saturday morning I heard some weird noises from the bathroom. Thought maybe it was the wind. Then I heard the stepladder in there move on the floor. That freaked the shit out of me. I thought someone had gotten in there. Braved up, grabbed a protective coffee mug to hit an intruder with and had a look. Turns out it was the tiled floor contracting madly and loudly from the cold. This was around 5 am. It’s tiles on suspended concrete. Lots of cold air passing underneath it. I’ve never heard it do that before.

Another way to tell that’s it’s cold for us: only one of the three ceiling fans are on, and it’s only on medium, and none of the pedestal fans are on. A rare occurrence.

• Like 1

Sancti-claws

We actually went to look at heaters today - we have one and on cold mornings my husband huddles around it in our room. 

(DD sleeps in short pyjamas with two fans on even in Winter - she runs hot)

As I am currently working from home he thought I might need one - but after this snap all that is left is ones that, given the length of our Winters, is not cost efficient in terms of outlay for actual usage so I vetoed buying anything.  I will just do my usual layer up and look forward to 20+ degree days again.

Sancti: Hot water bottle! They’re great for truly warming you up, and cheap. About $10 with a cover from Kmart or Chemist Warehouse. About $7 or $8 without a cover and insteadwrapped in a small towel. DD and I cuddle up with one between us in the evenings in the lounge with a blanket over us. 

• Like 4

Pinkflamingo

Omg, was so cold on Sunday morning 9am at the football fields, the wind just howls through there. I even had to wrap our pooch up in my scarf as he was shivering. I then walk to the toilets and see a man sitting there in shorts, T-shirt and thongs 😳

DH and I then went out to Redcliffe for lunch, the markets are on and I see this lady in the tiniest little pink dress, her skin was bright red from the cold and she was trying to stand behind a column to get out of the breeze. I wanted to go offer her my jacket. Her kids were all rugged up though!

I think, after 9yrs, we’ve finally acclimatised 🤣

• Like 1

DH had to go out to Ipswich last Saturday for DS sport, 8am start. I pulled the European winter weight parka out of the cupboard and fleece lined beanie. Meanwhile I took DD to dance and discovered a really nice new (ish) cafe 😃

• Like 1

Okelydokely

I used to roll my eyes at my mum for always having flannelette sheets in Qld. Never understood it! 

Cut to me, buying my first set of fitted/flat flannos on the weekend 😂 bless you, spotlight… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, I bought some flannelette sheets last week after giving away all of mine when we moved back to Brissy years ago.

The near blackout was an uncomfortable reminder of how dependent on electricity we are 😟

Actually turned off the car air con today and just wound down the windows a bit instead. Haven’t done that in ages. While I was waiting in the car for DH the car was turned off and the windows down a bit instead of needing it on for the air con. Such a change. 

DD is supposed to be going to her school’s athletics carnival tomorrow. We’re letting her stay home instead of sitting on a cold field for 6 hours. 

It seemed a bit warmer last night - at least we didn't turn the heaters on so that was our contribution to reducing energy consumption!

Meanwhile, DH is still turning the air cons on even though nobody wants them except him 🙄 I'm this close 🤏 to hiding all the remotes

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sancti-claws said:

I have never got the sports day needing to be in frostbite weather logic.

Me either. DD is happily tucked up under a blanket in the lounge watching YouTube. 

• Like 1

Advertisement