• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClaudiaCosette

• Seayork2002

• Hills Mum Bec

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

So wrong that I can’t help thinking that there ‘must’ be more to it! Surely!!!

Not really questioning her, just can’t believe that people can be so inconsiderate and cruel!!!

I just found this on Twitter and was hoping it wasn’t true, but sadly I can see how it no doubt is true and what do I know - I am not the person with a disability driving a mobility scooter.

I am so glad that this was shared so that other people can hopefully listen to the lived experience from a person with a disability.....

So wrong that I can’t help thinking that there ‘must’ be more to it! Surely!!!

Not really questioning her, just can’t believe that people can be so inconsiderate and cruel!!!

It seems that the man mentioned is known to be rude to various customers, especially those not ordering food or those using a voucher or discount of some sort. There's a complaint on Indooroopilly Shopping Centre's FB page from Nov 26 detailing how he wouldn't allow people using coffee vouchers from the centre's Black Friday promotion take a seat.

For those trying to work out how they could be closing part of the seating, it's because it has two seperate areas of seating. There's the seats inside the cafe and then there's more in the main walkway of the shopping centre, like where you'd normally find pop-up stalls. That's the part that gets closed early.

I'm not surprised that someone on a mobility scooter couldn't get to the counter at that Jamaica Blue. It looks very squashy and no single clear path to the counter. I've never been into it but often walk past it. It's always quite busy. Bet it's not so busy tomorrow.

I heard her tell this story on Radio National yesterday afternoon. It was terrible. She didn't name the business and I had wondered who they were. I'm glad she did as I deliberately and routinely vote with my wallet.

I would love this to be unbelievable but unfortunately it is far too believable.

He was rude and yes, should lose custom it.

I am disappointed, however, in my fellow Australians (Queenslanders even) who DID NOT step in for this woman at all. I am often an annoying person to have around, but sometimes I use my annoy-ability for good.

If that lady had been my customer I would have gone out of my way to help her. Good customers are the best way of advertising

There are ways to get around limitations a business can have to cater to those less mobile. My local post office is quite small and has a step but no room for a ramp. Instead they have a doorbell with a sign saying if you can’t manage to come in, we will come to you.

ClaudiaCosette

If that lady had been my customer I would have gone out of my way to help her. Good customers are the best way of advertising

Absolutely. How easy would it have been for the cafe to let her stay? This just reflects so badly on them and I hope that it does affect their business.

I have kids with a physical disability (CP). My heart already breaks for them that they may have to face such issues in the future. I so hope things can improve for them and for others in the same situation.

Edited by TeaCat

I was at my local shopping centre a while ago and there was a mum and her two kids and she pointed and made some bad comments about a person with a disability to her kids, the so sadly it some instances they learn it from their parents.

The person was to far away to hear the lady

ClaudiaCosette

I was at my local shopping centre a while ago and there was a mum and her two kids and she pointed and made some bad comments about a person with a disability to her kids, the so sadly it some instances they learn it from their parents.

So sad. I think it's been really good for my older kids to have a reference point to disability. They are accepting of people they see with a disability as they can relate it to people they know. I think making differences visible and acceptable in everyday life would go a long way to helping kids (and their parents) to understand and be empathetic.

Edited by TeaCat

So sad. I think it's been really good for my older kids to have a reference point to disability (their younger sisters; also their grandma who is blind and grandpa who walks with crutches). They are accepting of people they see with a disability as they can relate it to people they know. I think making differences visible and acceptable in everyday life would go a long way to helping kids (and their parents) to understand and be empathetic.

I am hopeful for the future.

My 4yo DD asked for a dolls wheelchair for Christmas, and as I looked through the toys I found two really easily, one of which was Barbie branded. I was talking to DH about how things have changed - there is no way a doll with a wheelchair in a mainstream store would've existed when I was her age, let alone a Barbie of all things. And we discussed how its not just brands being more diverse, DD also asked for it, she is just simply more aware and therefore interested.

I'd love to put that down to just my parenting but I think the shows she watches and what they discuss at childcare are probably bigger influences.

Advertisement