IGNORED

Delivery driver deaths

riotproof

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I'm curious whether we see similar rates of death or accidents with, for example, Domino's Pizza delivery drivers or riders? The majority I see around are young and on their P-plates, statistically I'd imagine they'd be more represented in the accident statistics anyway. Is there something that Domino's or similar does differently to ensure their safety? Because we don't hear about accidents being a problem for them.

I was wondering the same. How does this compare to other night-time delivery operators? And other night-time fatalities anyway.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• amdirel

• Kiwi Bicycle

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Covid I worked in the city (Sydney) until midnight and got a cab home. The number of near misses with Uber Eats etc push bike riders, wearing all black with no lights, no reflectors, and no road sense was frequent. I’m really not surprised with the number of deaths from what I’ve witnessed.

Spidey_Senses

Its awful.

There will be pressure put on them to deliver faster which results in them not following the road rules. And combine that with drivers who don't care about cyclists. .And elctric bikes allowing them to go faster than their riding skills might allow. Here in SA at least bikes are allowed on footpaths.

A lot of them are international students which complicates the issue as Australia needs them for our economy but there are (understandably when there arent enough jobs for domestic students either) rules on how many hours they can work. Something like uber fits well around study hours.

Im not sure what exactly but something needs to change to make it safer but its not like we can just ban electric bikes.

There was a report on 7.30 about this. The pressure that is put on these drivers to deliver in time is what is leading to their unsafe riding. And given these are independent contractors, Uber/Menulog has no responsibility in terms of training or entitlements

The gig economy, it’s tough

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it was just Adelaide but food delivery back in the day was just pizza, and they all drove cars. If you wanted any other takeaway you had to get it yourself.

However, I had a friend that used to do courier deliveries in the city on a bike and it was crazy dangerous! The company kept score of how many deliveries in a time frame, top of the board got a bonus. But my friend wasn't just in it for the money he loved the competition. He was absolutely nuts, as were the others that hovered at the top of the board.

So I don't think its a new problem, its just more prevalent.

Advertisement