IGNORED

Mystery of the stained hands

Wolf87

• 1 year later...

This happens to both my children. They wake up with it. It's definitely not from a bath as they didn't have one last night and dd woke up with the staining. We have no idea what it's from. 

• 1 year later...

Hello original poster!

Did you by any chance end up finding out what it was? 
I’ve woken up this morning with it all over both of my hands. I had it happen a couple of weeks ago too (but not as bad). It’s definitely not something I touched- it’s definitely something going on under my skin! I’m worried as no one seems to know what it is- and mine is just getting worse & worse! 

• Surprised 1

The mystery continues...

This thread attracts a lot of search traffic - so it must be pretty common, whatever it is!

• Haha 1

I’ve had streaky brown marks like this the day after weeding the garden. I’ve decided it is from pulling out dandelion clumps.

• Like 2

IamtheMumma
23 minutes ago, Wattle said:

I’ve had streaky brown marks like this the day after weeding the garden. I’ve decided it is from pulling out dandelion clumps.

I've had it too and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what was the cause. It faded in a couple of days. 

55 minutes ago, Wattle said:

Apparently this is quite common - but it's news to me!

• Like 1

DS had this as a side effect of one of his chemos (not on his hands). It went away when that chemo finished. Apparently not an uncommon side effect to a variety of medications and will disappear once the medication leaves your system. I think iron supplements were one of the ones mentioned. 

• Like 1

OP here! I never knew for sure, but I just assumed it was the weird ‘bath to goo’ stuff I had used the night before - haven’t had it again since! If it’s a recurring thing I would recommend seeing the GP, if you’re sure it’s not something you’re handling ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've woken up with this a couple of times.  If you look on reddit, you'll find a zillion people with the same question and no one ever really decides what it is. I had it years ago and then it disappeared and never came back.  The most common answer was excess iron if it looks more like rust,  or excess carotene.

• Like 1

Advertisement