IGNORED

Baptist SA

Lees75

I grew up in a Pentecostal style church, but have been attending a relatively progressive Baptist church for the last 7 years. We had a new senior pastor start last year, but his official ordination service never went ahead because of COVID.

Well, today was the day, and I nearly cried when the new Director of Ministries in SA started the ordination (female) and then the Baptist SA board President lead the official vows (also a woman). It is difficult to explain how liberating it felt to have 2 women undertaking the ordination of a male reverend.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alta Gaudia

• Lees75

• ClaudiaCosette

• Lukes mummi

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such an amazing moment when you first see a woman do something that's always been done by men. I was at Melbourne's first ordination of a woman as a bishop, and it was... I don't think I have words. It was a tilt of history as millennia of wrongs were being put right.

Wow that must have been a very special moment. I wasn’t aware baptists had female pastors, but then I haven’t been to a baptist church in years.

We’ve recently started attending an Anglican Church after a 20 year break. There are a lot more females involved running the services than 20 years ago. There is a female minister, but I’ve never heard her preach.

In Melbourne, it had got to the point where about one third of active clergy were women. Then I moved to a rural diocese and now at clergy gatherings I'm often the only woman in the room (both in Anglican circles and ecumenically). I'm finding that hard to adjust to.

Advertisement