IGNORED

Uniform/shoes in high school

charli73

Of course they do … and it is relatively warm in summer here so it would be on show most of Terms 1 and 4. They sell them in the uniform shop but I managed to get a near identical spare as they do not have the logo on them.

The blazer buttons have the school logo on them so I had to drive to the uniform shop on the other side of town to get replacements. The belt is the only thing I could get at KMart if stuck, everything else is branded in some way.

• Surprised 3

Note this is not a high cost school, mid range for our city. They are very particular on uniform and tradition. They do have neurodivergent students and cultural diversity so I imagine there are adjustments made for those needs, they have been pretty good with academic modifications we have needed.

I had to wear a tie for the whole of my primary education under my box pleat tunic.  In the mid 70s the uniform changed to a skivvy under a shift.  Luckily I never got to wear that.  I never learned to tie one I just loosened it.  Had one for high school.  I lent it to someone for a job interview and never got it back.   Just  a plain bottle green one.   As a senior I wore a little ribbon under my collar. 

Strangely in high school in winter it was more of a guide (summer we wore the same uniform dress or as a senior bottle green skirt and blouse) you could wear a box pleat or aby grey trousers and while shirt, I had a nifty pair of velvet flary type thing - it was the 70s.  And and a duffle coat.  In senior year for winter a grey wool skirt and while blouse.  I wore my school uniform to work for years after.  I just got it at Katies or something.  

I wanted a blazer they became fashionable in the early 80s but I couldn't find one second hand to fit.  The arms would end way past my fingers.  I don't own anything long sleeved they all end way past the finger tips.  Clothing manufactures seem to think the bigger your bust is or the fatter you are the longer your arms grow.  Couldn't afford to get one made.

The school office had a set of straw hats for official duties representing the school.  No hats during my schooling at all.  

Does any one way back in the day remember wearing what we called  JCs to school.  What were essentially sandals made of cardboard.  It was 40 many days in a row during summer.  We were always being told safety and we'd say we don't care and wore them anyway.  

Kiwi Bicycle
5 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

We wore roman sandals in the 80's to primary school. Awful brown things, but reasonably comfy. 

There wasn't many options for shoes in NZ for kids. Roman sandals, those canvas sneakers, jackals, nice sandals and shoes you wore for good wear ( often patent leather).

Remember those leather lace ups with the sticky crepe soles. And you used to pick off the Gummy parts? With the seam running down the front?

I found an 80s NZ shoe company ad. Oh the memories. Those prices were horrendous in those days.

image.jpeg.011231238a408fdc046756dd180e656b.jpeg

• Like 1

@Kiwi Bicycle They were called Charlie Browns when I started school in the early 70s. I wanted a pair so badly but they didn't come in my size (ridiculously small feet). The girls in primer 4 and up had them 

I'm super lazy, both kids have 6 sets of formal uniforms, so I can just wash on the weekend, with a set spare just in case I can't even managed that.  DD has a white (!) formal shirt so there's no way it can be reworn without washing. 

Both kids wear Accent school shoes that are more comfortable than Clarks (apparently). They're quite expensive, but wear well and never have to polish them.  This is what DD wears

https://www.ascentfootwear.com.au/shopping/141746-scholar-black-male-youth?utm_campaign=product-search&utm_medium=product-search&utm_source=google-product-search&utm_term=scholar-d-black-male-youth&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw3624BhBAEiwAkxgTOu7ekjm_G-dvkjeRFmjwI_7Y1vbrcMMBW5yEfllKQNyBREEe8wXQdBoCvssQAvD_BwE

11 minutes ago, screm said:

@Kiwi Bicycle They were called Charlie Browns when I started school in the early 70s. I wanted a pair so badly but they didn't come in my size (ridiculously small feet). The girls in primer 4 and up had them 

Or Nomad's.

We wore Roman Sandals in the summer and Clarke's shoes in the winter (primary) and Clarke's or Nomad's at Intermediate and High School.  

I disagree about lack of choice. I seem to remember an endless choice on the annual visit to Ballantyne's before school started each year.

I had Roman sandals when little but then wore black leather granny shoes, usually Bata brand.  One year KMart brought out imitation granny shoes and I hated them on sight - the soles wore through like butter and I got my branded shoes again within weeks. 

Shoes were expensive, my bargain hunting Mum would buy dodgy canvas sneakers so I used to get my Dad to take me to a proper sports store on the weekend and get mid priced options like Lotto. Really wanted Adidas Romes.

8 minutes ago, Quisby said:

Or Nomad's.

Quoting myself - Clarks actually made Nomad's in New Zealand at the Auckland factory. 

I love a T bar shoe for a girl. But DD doesn't and the catholic HS she applied for won't allow them. I tried on the Doc version last year but they were too heavy for me to wear comfortably. 

Yes I was surprised to see them still for sale, schools are either flexible or want lace ups these days. There were only a few companies that made them and the cut outs were important, Mary Jane’s were not an acceptable alternative fashion wise. They were quite lightweight, not much of a sole to them.

• Like 1

I had those Roman sandals for primary in the late 70s I completely forgot about them! I did also have runners from Kmart and was picked on because I didn’t have brand name runners like the other kids hence why I don’t mind getting decent shoes now for my kids. 

IMG_0139.jpeg.10c169e4c5aa5c288f439ec1867d1fcc.jpeg

Never got these but they were the most sought after in late primary. I think I did eventually get a pair with silver stripes in high school.

Kiwi Bicycle
32 minutes ago, Quisby said:

We also had Skellerup, who only make gumboots now, but I am sure the white canvas sneakers were from them..

https://www.skellerupfootwear.us/history

9 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

We also had Skellerup, who only make gumboots now, but I am sure the white canvas sneakers were from them..

https://www.skellerupfootwear.us/history

Yes. And they made them in other colours too, my mum always called them "sand shoes". They were a sneaker of sorts but the soles were in no way offering the support of even the cheapest ones you would buy in Australia today.

• 100 1

Advertisement