IGNORED

Uniform/shoes in high school

charli73

https://www.costco.com.au/c/Surefit-High-School-Kids-Shoe-Dillon/p/97320-DILN

These are what DS has been wearing, usually pay about $60 a few weeks after they start stocking them. We have had more than a year’s wear out of each pair so I would say they are similar quality to Ascent but maybe American imports. The first pair survived Year 6 where they do a lot of running around at lunch time. He wears school shoes 5 days a week in high school as they have to change into their sports uniforms so heavy use.

• Like 1

My advice is to not enrol your kids at a school unless you are willing to adhere to their uniform policy ( unless there is absolutely no other choice of school ).

It is what it is IMO whether I feel it is unreasonable or not.

eta.. All schools I have been involved in have a heavily discounted second hand uniform choice and as a SC member I do know that we have had funds set aside to provide uniforms for struggling families.

FB marketplace is also a great source. I have kids who have bought second hand for our GK's with us usually buying them a new pullover or hoodie, which ever they wore.

Edited by STBG 2
  • Like 1

DS currently does not own a pair of shoes that comply with his public secondary uniform policy.

He wears black trainers to ride to and from school, and on non-sport days at school was changing his shoes on arrival in year 7. This year (year 😎 mid year, I discovered the formal school shoes in a corner somewhere covered in dust. So when his feet grew again we had a long chat, and agreed that although we know the policy, given it had not been enforced, we weren't spending resources on unnecessary and uncomfortable new shoes. Part of that agreement is that if the school does now seek to enforce, he needs to accept he will be in breach of the uniform policy, with whatever consequences the school considers appropriate, until at least the following weekend.

He was happy to take that chance, and frankly I would rather he wear well fitted black trainers anyway given long narrow feet that are very difficult to find comfy shoes for, so that's our deal.

I am a little bit shocked by my own behaviour here, but it did seem extraordinarily wasteful to do anything else.

• Like 2
  • 100 2

Kiwi Bicycle
12 minutes ago, Mose said:

Sorry, that is year 8 he is currently in, I do not know why it changed to an emoji!

In all honesty I don't understand black leather formal school shoes. Black sports shoes should be accepted. They are supportive and have just as much foot protection as black leather shoes. If the school is pedantic enough to say " not safe enough" well there's steel toe black runners available.

My friend had to wear black runners due to rheumatoid arthritis that caused foot issues. You couldn't really tell that they weren't leather lace ups unless you bent over and looked.

Footwear is totally different to clothing. Feet are all different. There's a lot of foot injuries and issues. We cannot expect people to wear all the same type of shoe. Yes, the shoe should provide foot protection, but a school just has to say " a black closed toe shoe". Not stuff like " must be able to take polish". Because why?

• Like 1
  • 100 2

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

In all honesty I don't understand black leather formal school shoes. Black sports shoes should be accepted. They are supportive and have just as much foot protection as black leather shoes. If the school is pedantic enough to say " not safe enough" well there's steel toe black runners available.

My friend had to wear black runners due to rheumatoid arthritis that caused foot issues. You couldn't really tell that they weren't leather lace ups unless you bent over and looked.

Footwear is totally different to clothing. Feet are all different. There's a lot of foot injuries and issues. We cannot expect people to wear all the same type of shoe. Yes, the shoe should provide foot protection, but a school just has to say " a black closed toe shoe". Not stuff like " must be able to take polish". Because why?

Canvas and fabric sneakers can let spills from science experiments 🧪 and hot metals from metal works etc. 
But they should be ok with sneaker style 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

Kiwi Bicycle
10 minutes ago, Bethlehem said:

Canvas and fabric sneakers can let spills from science experiments 🧪 and hot metals from metal works etc. 

On my mind, stuff like metalwork/ wood work ( which would be minority number of students), should be supplied with a pair of safety shoes, kept in the classroom. Just like a pair of safety goggles. Kmart, Big W etc all do cheap safety shoes/boots for $ 40 or so. They only have to be worn in class. But I wouldn't expect students to have to wear them all the time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bethlehem said:

How is that different from the T-bar sandals though?  Very little different, I'd have thought.

That’s why most schools want the laced. Also for cooking classes. 
In yr 7& 8 in nsw you have to do a term of each and do science all through to yr 10. 

• Like 2

Seayork2002

Ds is allowed to wear trainers on sports say one day a week he had to take his normal leather school shoes on the day of he had certain practical subjects or the students who didn't have them had to sit out doing bookwork

It was safely thing and thankfully they were very strict on it, he doesn't do the subjects anymore though 

36 minutes ago, Bethlehem said:

That’s why most schools want the laced. Also for cooking classes. 
In yr 7& 8 in nsw you have to do a term of each and do science all through to yr 10. 

Ahh that explains why the tbar buckled ones cant be worn, shame I quite like them. 

• 100 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Yep. We worry that kids don't get enough exercise then we shove them in dress shoes for 8+ hours a day. 

My school shoes also gave me an issue with my heel, I limped for months and then over the school holidays it magically fixed itself. 

• Like 1

Those sportier shoe styles wouldn't be accepted at DDs school - too "casual".

Clarks Daytona was the style, then she moved on to ROC Dakota.

For uniform DD yr 7-10 only ever has had 2 summer dresses + 1 sports (polo & shorts); 2 winter tunics & 4 shirts, sports trackie.

Now she's in senior Yr 11/12 and they don't do sport (at all!!) so she just has 5 shirts and two skirts.

One  jumper and one blazer. Supposedly not allowed to wear the jumper by itself, must be under a blazer but this is not usually enforced AFAIK.

There's also a school scarf - the old style is a prized possession and in high demand; the new one is a daggy stretchy knitted style no-one wants to be seen wearing 🤣

Edited by qak
  • Like 1

Julie3Girls
5 hours ago, BoyMum2 said:

We don’t expect most adults to adhere to strict uniform policies at work and in the exceptions there’s usually a good reason whether it be comfort, identification or safety. 
I’m a big advocate of letting children be individuals and that extends to dress. School is such a controlling environment and it seems clothing is the one place we can allow them to have a bit of freedom. 

Actually, that depends on where you work.

Lots of jobs have uniform requirements, for safety reasons. My DH definitely has work uniforms - for both identification and safety.  DD has uniforms for work as a childcare educator.

Schools do have reasons for uniforms. Identification. Safety. Taking away the issue of latest trends, fashions and decision making.

BUT I do think a lot of schools (generally private schools) take it too far.  I think enforcing winter or summer uniforms is ridiculous - different people react to different temperature, they should be allowed to dress to suit their own comfort level.  
And school uniforms should be comfortable.

Every time I read one of these posts, I appreciate our school.  Basic black bottom and school polo.  $30 school hoodie jumper which is actually something the kids want to wear, it’s comfy and warm, and did I mention, only $30.   Blazers are provided on loan to the kids that require them (school leadership,  debate team etc). Formal uniform of blouse and skirt for girls. Or any combination - I’ve seen the skirt with the polo, the blouse with black pants.  It’s actually surprising how the kids do manage to get their own look into the set uniform.
Shoes have to enclosed leather (or close to) for all prac subjects, canvas and tbars offer no protection in science, cooking or metal/woodwork.  But they are find with the  runner styles, because that then covers PE and Sport.

I actually need to go through DDs clothes and pull out all the school uniforms.  She has ended up with a lot, being the end of the 3 child hand me down chain LOL.  Not to mention all the ensemble/representative shirts and jacket. Need to work out which ones she wants to keep.

Not sure what to do with all the school polos though - they all have the old logo, which changed a few years back, so not sure if anyone will want them. Shame, because I’ve got a lot of them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BoyMum2 said:

I didn’t know there were non-uniformed schools, where/what are these places?

My DD’s state high school. It’s a PITA. It traces back to one parent who rebelled against the uniform requirements in the late 1970s, and found out that the uniform wasn’t technically enforceable in the state. He went head to head with the principal and it spread from that. The school eventually dropped the uniform.

I’d love a uniform polo shirt and then plain navy/black bottoms and jumpers. It would take away a lot of stress of buying sufficient clothes of sufficient coolness/style that meet the dress code and will be durable and suitable. Five polo shirts? Yes please. Nobody would notice that you’re wearing the same 5 shirts every week instead of needing enough shirts on rotation to not look like you’ve got very limited numbers of shirts because you can’t afford more. 

However, woollen blazers, vests, monogrammed socks, etc are just bullshit and even more so at state schools. At private schools I think that if you’re willing to pay for school then just deal with the stupid uniform requirements. It’s part of private school. 

Specifying what uniform has to be worn in which terms is silly. Children feel the heat or cold differently. I see students at DD’s high school wearing jeans and hoodies on hot 30+C days. I have no idea how they’re not collapsed in a pool of sweat. Wearing blazers going to and from school is silly. What about those who walk, cycle or catch public transport and get sweaty? 

@Julie3Girls Maybe contact the school and ask if they’d like them as spare shirts for students who need to change for an unplanned reason. The school library might like one to keep as memorabilia for future anniversary celebrations. My DD’s high school just celebrated an anniversary and they had examples of the past uniform on display.

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

@Julie3Girls I found someone donated a school jacket that was same colours as ours, but totally different school logo printed on it. It was mixed into my plastic bags for school stalls collection. I asked the office staff member who runs the 2nd hand stall what to do with it and she said she would use it as sick bay clothing, for a child who had thrown up or similar or got soaking wet and muddy falling over, basically clothing they can use for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

Actually, that depends on where you work.

Lots of jobs have uniform requirements, for safety reasons. My DH definitely has work uniforms - for both identification and safety.  DD has uniforms for work as a childcare educator.

Schools do have reasons for uniforms. Identification. Safety. Taking away the issue of latest trends, fashions and decision making.

Yes, I did say there are certain professions where uniforms should be used. I can think of many. 
What I can’t understand is why a school can mandate multiple different uniforms for different uses and all with logos and argue that is needed for identification and safety. A casual comfortable top and choice of bottoms is sufficient for any activity that happens in school, and does not compromise safety or identification. 

• Like 2

I'd just be thrilled if our school dropped the ties from gr 3 boys up. Only needed in winter so it's not exactly an essential part of the uniform is it? And the stupid knee high socks with shorts. 

I understand the points for uniforms, and I'm generally pro. But fashion shifts, uniformed workplaces keep up with changing trend, but we still apparently need our kids to look like little lord Fauntleroy for some godsbeknown reason...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Julie3Girls

@Crombek ties for grade 3????? Ick.  Even most offices, a lot of men have ditched ties these days.  
Although I’m actually surprised ties haven’t been declared a safety hazard with little boys 😆

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

@Crombek ties for grade 3????? Ick.  Even most offices, a lot of men have ditched ties these days.  
Although I’m actually surprised ties haven’t been declared a safety hazard with little boys 😆

It used to be ties from Prep! But the last few years have moved to full time PE uniform K-gr 2.

Jesus, why does an 8yo need to wear a tie.

My ND kid would never entertain that, it would be sensory hell. He wouldn’t be the only child like that.

• Like 3

Surely there aren’t still school that mandate only dresses and skirts for girls… it’s so antiquated! 

And do kids need to wear ties, blazers, dress shoes and knee high socks or boater hats, they just look plain ridiculous! 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

DS found the belt as challenging as the tie initially. He doesn’t even wear jeans let alone anything that needed a belt. The upside of the strictness is the clothes you buy actually get worn.

DD is at a very lenient school and I have spent money on things she has decided she doesn’t like and despite having enough skorts to last her til she finishes is saying she doesn’t like them any more. She has started wearing all sorts of non school items instead of the polar fleece that we have 3 of. She is looking at private for high school and knows she has to wear the uniform.

43 minutes ago, Crombek said:

, but we still apparently need our kids to look like little lord Fauntleroy for some godsbeknown reason...

😅😅 

***whispers*** I love looking back at pics of DS in his 'Fauntleroy' uniform. His brim hat kept falling over his eyes, his blazer sleeves extended past his knuckles and his knee high socks would have done his grandfather proud in the 1960s, but he looked so darn cute! (age 5). 😆

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Quisby said:

😅😅 

***whispers*** I love looking back at pics of DS in his 'Fauntleroy' uniform. His brim hat kept falling over his eyes, his blazer sleeves extended past his knuckles and his knee high socks would have done his grandfather proud in the 1960s, but he looked so darn cute! (age 5). 😆

We have a photo of DS on his first day of high school with what we call his "Master Toffy of Toffington" look going. Oversized grammar school uniform with shorts, pulled up socks and a blazer at the beginning of February. Ridiculous and hilarious all at once.

• Haha 3

Advertisement