IGNORED

Screening young offenders for ADHD

purpleduck

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10-13/adhd-qld-youth-justice-screening-psychology-police/104139944

Queensland has become the first state to start screening young offenders for neurodevelopmental conditions including ADHD.

There are calls to expand the practice, in a bid to reduce recidivism in the community.

The stats that float around seem to consistently show that neurodivergence is higher in prison populations so I think any steps that go towards assessing and supporting those who are diagnosed is the right move. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

If they screen for one thing, I hope they are actually doing a really thorough screening including getting background information.  Whatever they screen for they'll probably find lots of it.

ADHD, Dyslexia, intellectual disability,  FASD, other forms of substance exposure,  PTSD, language disorders, there will be lots of overlap too, many kids would fit criteria for several diagnoses.

I hope that after screening they get some therapeutic intervention in place too. 

• Like 5
  • 100 2

DP used to work in the prisons system. Impaired impulse control is what see the overwhelming majority committing imprisonable offences.

I agree that assessment and services to help people is better than having to wait until they’re in prison.

• Like 3

Imagine if that sort of screening was done in schools. Even the most wealthy, highly advantaged parents are thwarted at every turn trying to get assessments in my city. 
FASD would be extremely high in kids in out of home care, why aren’t they screened then? 
And I don’t think this should be the responsibility of teachers and principals, it needs diagnostic professionals that school staff can refer children to.

• Like 4

Advertisement