IGNORED

Dying hair teal

HypnicJerk

I have old growing out salon bleached/ box re-dyed hair.  It was last coloured red in Feb.  I want to try teal before I give it a good chop.  How do you think it will look?

IMG_6684.jpeg

Love the concept! But I wonder if teal is a realistic choice? Your ends look orange-ish which is at the opposite side of the colour wheel. So I don’t know what the eventual colour would be as you’re not starting out with a blank bleach canvas. I am not an expert in this but I would guess an orange-adjacent colour like pink would work better? Or maybe you pick a blue dye and the residual brassiness makes it teal?? 

(Not an expert!) :) 

• Like 1

Just do the ends? Blue and green are the longest lasting dye colours as per a friend's daughter and her bleach then wild colour experiments. The teal isn't going to show on your dark regrowth, but balayage is totally on trend.

I think I’ll go to a hairdresser if I do this.  I went to a conference about five years ago and one of the speakers had medium length dark hair with teal ends or a stripe going through it. It looked really good and I told her so. I remember thinking if I could get back into the workforce and earn a decent income I would do it, and spend the money on it.

I went for blonde for a little while but the upkeep was quite expensive so I switched to playing with box colours. Now my hair is long enough that I could cut all the dye bits out but I still think I’d like to give the teal colour a go . Would teal balyage be ok with medium brown on top?

• Like 1

If you felt like blonde was expensive and lots of up keep, teal is worse but definitely looks good! 

I had teal and purple for a while. It was so fun! 

• Like 2

I use the Live Colour temporary colours on DD's hair, so far we've done magenta, purple and pink. I've done teal as hair chalk but it was a one off and washed out fast. 

I say, buy the Live Colour that washes out in 10 washes or so and try it. Worst case scenario, it's not great and you get it cut off. It'll give you an idea of how it looks.

I've also seen some AMAZING looks with dark green colour, just beautiful on the right person. 

One of my friends went teal with similar colour to you. It looked great freshly done, but once it got to the needs to be redone stage (which she couldnt be bothered with) it had that been swimming green hue on the growing out blonde bits. 

Eta not that it looked bad at that stage, just not the look she was aiming for but she didn't want to do the required upkeep so decided to live with it rather than redo or cut.

Edited by Mooguru
  • Like 1

DD has concerns.  I told her what I want to do because it would probably mean having to reschedule her optom appointment to fit it in.  She says teal, green and blue will not be a good look for at a conference if I want to be taken seriously.  She said if it works and looks good that's fine, but if not then I'm screwed.  She may have a point. 

• Like 2

Can you do it at Christmas over summer maybe?

But honest to god, it's 2025, our hair colour shouldn't make a bit of difference in how we do our jobs and are perceived. 

It's not a face tattoo(they CAN be polarising) it's a bit of hair dye. 

If you just do the ends like a dip dye, can you wear it up during the conference? 

I have had teal hair before and teal does tend to fade out quickly.

Currently my hair is magenta, blue, turquoise and purple but for the last 3 years it has been some different variation of blue, purple and green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HypnicJerk said:

DD has concerns.  I told her what I want to do because it would probably mean having to reschedule her optom appointment to fit it in.  She says teal, green and blue will not be a good look for at a conference if I want to be taken seriously.  She said if it works and looks good that's fine, but if not then I'm screwed.  She may have a point. 

Not sure I agree… What do you do? I work in a pretty old school style profession and people have all sorts of random colours and they are all taken seriously! 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, Jenflea said:

I use the Live Colour temporary colours on DD's hair, so far we've done magenta, purple and pink. I've done teal as hair chalk but it was a one off and washed out fast. 

I say, buy the Live Colour that washes out in 10 washes or so and try it. Worst case scenario, it's not great and you get it cut off. It'll give you an idea of how it looks.

I've also seen some AMAZING looks with dark green colour, just beautiful on the right person. 

Do the Live ones last well?

I did pink in a different brand for DD and the bloody thing just about completely washed out on first wash. She was sooo upset! I promised her I'd do it again.

DD is a darkish blonde and the colours last a few washes. The darker ones last longer. She mostly does the dip dye bottom look, never a full head of colour. 

She also only washes her hair once or twice a week. It's been a few years since she's done it so my memory might be faulty. 

I have not dyed my own hair so can’t comment on that, but I had mine dyed teal a few years ago by a hairdresser. They did say it was hard to get the colour balance right and they had to add a bit more green at the end because it was too blue. I loved my teal hair and it lasted ages for me (about a year). Let me find a photo. 

IMG_2465.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Fizgig I love your color, from the snippets of your neck it looks like you’re  a lovely cool winter/summer, I suspect the teal looks gorgeous against your skin tone. 🥰

• Like 1

I had blue hair for over 5 years. Well, not blue all over, but either blue-tipped hair, or blue highlights, or blue sections, or pale blue all over.

It often faded to teal. Beware, can fade to quite greenish.  Needs toner.

Loved my blue hair and miss it. (and I'm a school principal, so blue hair is for everyone)

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

I have ruby/post box red hair. I use hermans hair paint. I tried manic panic but it just washed straight out. My second choice is Fudge because it does actually stick to my hair but it washes out to orange for me.

Teal would probably only take to the bottom parts, so might look a bit strange but seriously, the look of 3 inches of regrowth makes me cringe so it is pretty much anything goes these days. lol

If you needed to you could always do a messy bun or something to hide the colour if it isn't appropriate at the conference.

A few years back I applied for a job that was literally 300m down the road. They loved me except the first question out of the bosses mouth was 'how long have you had red hair' My response was over 20 years and it isn't changing. I didn't get the job. I reported it to the job network and they were horrified but I don't think they followed it up. I really should have.

• Like 1

Gorgeous. 

I'm flirting with the idea of adding purple to my hair, but with my dodgy hip I can't sit in the salon chair that long.

Advertisement