IGNORED

Is your car sharing your data?

Darryl

Just now, Decisions Decisions said:

I hate how this has developed and while not having a paranoid personality it pushes me towards being paranoid about voicing opinions because who knows who is listening (meanwhile I'm typing my feelings here! 😮‍💨)

Not car related but I do not have Siri activated on my phone and was talking about engineering careers with my son the other day with my phone on the table in front of me.  The day after when checking facebook I had 3 different ads for graduate engineering positions at 3 different firms.  

How is this possible?  Do the apps themselves listen?

I don’t know, but I was in a meeting and noticed the brand on someone’s handbag. I didn’t say anything, didn’t google it. Just noticed it. The next day I got ads for them online. 

• Like 1
  • Surprised 2

2 minutes ago, Decisions Decisions said:

I hate how this has developed and while not having a paranoid personality it pushes me towards being paranoid about voicing opinions because who knows who is listening (meanwhile I'm typing my feelings here! 😮‍💨)

Not car related but I do not have Siri activated on my phone and was talking about engineering careers with my son the other day with my phone on the table in front of me.  The day after when checking facebook I had 3 different ads for graduate engineering positions at 3 different firms.  

Yes it’s been shown that they do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Isn't Musk currently spending $45mill a month trying to get Trump into power and saying democracy and meritocracy will fall if he doesn't win etc.

The technology exists that they could be recording and listening for words suggesting you're a Kamala supporter. Maybe you have a left leaning media app on your phone. Or you like Taylor Swift. 

How hard would it actually be for him to create a system where people who don't follow his political leanings, suddenly have their cars disabled. "Whoopsie an update went wrong." "The update was being run in two parts hence why not all cars were affected." "We are working on a resolution ASAP."

It sounds like a conspiracy theory, but he has the money, the power and the full support of the Republicans behind him in the US. Is it really that outside of the realms of possibility?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Decisions Decisions said:

Pretty much everyone makes fun of me for being paranoid about the implications of always being listened in on etc. 

To me it's a  bit of a show of hands who didn't have any Soviet Bloc experience.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jolly_F said:

Do people really not talk to themselves? I am more surprised at that…

I wonder if me practicing for my Grammy award is helpful 😂

My monologues are said in my head...

So yes I do talk to myself, just not out loud.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

21 minutes ago, Yogaalaates said:

I don’t know, but I was in a meeting and noticed the brand on someone’s handbag. I didn’t say anything, didn’t google it. Just noticed it. The next day I got ads for them online. 

I've known for years that phones listened and provided ads accordingly, but I also suspect that the camera or something may play a part too. Twice I have been looking at a product in a shop that has later appeared as an ad, no conversations, no googling. 

1 hour ago, Gumbette said:

Tesla, so yep, nothing is private apparently.

In saying that, Choice found it's super easy to hack my vacuum cleaner and it has a camera that can watch everything I do. That freaks me out even more.

Then they should make the vacuum do the vacuuming by itself. 

Unless it's a Roomba or some such.

It's like going to the self serve checkouts, they make me pack my own stuff and input what l'm buying. And make me pay by myself.

Edited by magic_marker

21 minutes ago, Andi said:

I've known for years that phones listened and provided ads accordingly, but I also suspect that the camera or something may play a part too. Twice I have been looking at a product in a shop that has later appeared as an ad, no conversations, no googling. 

My phone was in my bag the whole time. 

My solo driving conversations consist of "Doggie!" and "Cow!" and "aww, cute cat", interspersed with me swearing at other drivers(while driving perfectly myself of course).  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, magic_marker said:

Then they should make the vacuum do the vacuuming by itself. 

Unless it's a Roomba or some such.

It's like going to the self serve checkouts, they make me pack my own stuff and input what l'm buying. And make me pay by myself.

It’s an Ecovac

Chocolate Addict

For the phone listening - you need to go to permissions and turn off microphone. Same in facebook there is a setting.

Just google it.

I turn off things that I can but not stressing about things I can't change. I know others don't agree, and that doesn't worry me either 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 123tree said:

There was a recent murder trial where the police had bugged the car of the suspect and later defendant.  He was prone to talking out loud to himself about his problems.  Including being concerned that the police would discover the bodies.  I was a bit surprised, it was like a soliloquy in a dramatic soap . I am not making light of the terrible crime but I didn’t know people in real life did that.  

Yes I know the case.. his ramblings are why they went in earlier than planned. 

Lots of newer cars when you plug into Apple play also download info like contact lists, GPS, text messages everything and each car is different. 

Edited by charli73

Is it any different to our mobiles and Ipad/PCs/Laptops etc. ? Mind you the thought of Tesla being one of them is to be one of the less surprising thing on the planet

This does not affect us personally as we dont have a car but as we get older I want one less, not to do with this though

1 hour ago, Jenflea said:

My solo driving conversations consist of "Doggie!" and "Cow!" and "aww, cute cat", interspersed with me swearing at other drivers(while driving perfectly myself of course).  

"SO FLUFFY!!!!"

And the extremely important one around my area "IT'S THE DOG THAT WEARS SHOES!!!!!!!!!"

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Kimasa said:

My car isn't listed. 

But if it does I'm not sure what it's going to do with hours upon hours of my off key singing. I can't imagine that would be great for AI training.

I look forward to the pending Kimasa car karaoke meme 😁

• Haha 3

Advertisement