IGNORED

The Lutheran Church of Australia endorses the ordination of women.

Alta Gaudia

My brain is fried. The so-called man in rural NSW marrying off his children (who barely escaped) and now this. We have not come very far, have we?

Alta Gaudia
10 minutes ago, jojonbeanie said:

@Alta Gaudia does the Lutheran Church in Australia allow women to be lay preachers? 

I'm not an expert on Lutheran practice.  I've heard of sort of work arounds where they'll do things like have the woman preach but call it an "address" rather than a sermon.  But I don't know exactly what their rules have and haven't allowed.  

Moomintroll
37 minutes ago, banyan said:

My brain is fried. The so-called man in rural NSW marrying off his children (who barely escaped) and now this. We have not come very far, have we?

Huh? Is there any connection between the two? 

I haven't heard of that story so I'm not sure what you're referring to. 

Congratulations to the Lutheran Church, tbh I had assumed they'd got this far years ago. 

I am stunned this has only just happened. My Dad is Lutheran (but not Australian Lutheran) and they've had women ministers at least since the 90s (practising in Australia but as part of another country's Lutheran church).

Alta Gaudia

Yeah, some places overseas the Lutherans did this ages ago.  But here it's taken longer.

At one point there was just one ordained Lutheran woman in Australia, because (I think I've got this right) the ambassador from Sweden had the right to choose his own chaplain for the embassy and brought a woman from the Church of Sweden.  Apparently the local Lutheran clergy more or less shunned her.

• Angry 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Alta Gaudia said:

Yeah, some places overseas the Lutherans did this ages ago.  But here it's taken longer.

At one point there was just one ordained Lutheran woman in Australia, because (I think I've got this right) the ambassador from Sweden had the right to choose his own chaplain for the embassy and brought a woman from the Church of Sweden.  Apparently the local Lutheran clergy more or less shunned her.

I do recall hearing there was some tension between the more progressive overseas Lutherans and the local Australian ones who were very conservative by comparison years ago.

From googling it looks like women have been ordained in European Lutheran branches for around 80years. Although the current person in charge in Latvia has refused to ordain any women since 1993.

• Sad 1

Advertisement