IGNORED

QLD state election

LaFoom

Driving around Brisbane yesterday I saw some advertising that wasn't by the three main players.

Australians for Prosperity. I expected them to be conservative and I was right. Ex-Liberal politician Julian Simmonds, started his own party, seems to be channelling neo liberal / tech bro vibes. Presumably will be standing candidates in the state election even though all their website talks about is Federal stuff.

I saw an ad on Mogill Rd in Chapel Hill bit didn't see the whole ad. It had three people, two of whom were Jewish and Hindu and the headline of Greens Don't Represent Us. Any idea who put that ad up? 

I think this state election is going to be nasty. Lots of black and white photos of screwed up or nasty looking faces, mud slinging, lots of playing the person and didley squat of playing the ball. Sigh.

• Sad 4

Paddlepop

Simmonds was the Federal MP for my seat. He was dumped and a Greens member elected. He took it hard. He showed no dignity or grace when he was beaten. He disappeared from public view.

I’ve spoken to him twice at polling places when voting. Arrogant dodgy wanker both times in my opinion. That would have been 3-4 years apart. DH’s opinion was that he had a punchable face. 😆 DH isn’t a violent person but he’d make an exception for him.

Neo liberal/tech bro vibes would be about right, plus a generous helping of Christianity and other “acceptable” religions. 

Both the State and Federal seats are currently held by Greens in this area. The State Greens MP has held the position for at least two terms now, possibly three. He seems well liked. I’ve met him at a community event and he was intelligent, realistic, knowledgeable and seemed eager to improve things, like school overcrowding and inadequate school buildings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

purplekitty

I don't think people remember Campbell Newman.

They should, he's been popping up a bit lately, this LNP will be more of the same.

• Like 3
  • 100 3

little lion

I had our new LNP candidate phone me to understand my state priorities. Never had a politician ring me before! So I enjoyed telling her please don’t use us public health professionals as an opportunity for slinging mud. Whoever gets in still inherits the same ageing facilities, underpaid and overstretched staff and growing list of patients. There’s no magic wand to “manage” it better!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, purplekitty said:

I don't think people remember Campbell Newman.

They should, he's been popping up a bit lately, this LNP will be more of the same.

I do. DH was one of the contractors sacked for being a contractor. While the tenured staff that did less work kept their jobs. He would have loved a permanent position but there weren't any on offer. Despite the fact his work earned revenue for the government. 

Economic as well as functional madness.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

purplekitty
3 hours ago, little lion said:

I had our new LNP candidate phone me to understand my state priorities. Never had a politician ring me before! So I enjoyed telling her please don’t use us public health professionals as an opportunity for slinging mud. Whoever gets in still inherits the same ageing facilities, underpaid and overstretched staff and growing list of patients. There’s no magic wand to “manage” it better!

The LNP will do nothing to alleviate that.

• Like 3
  • 100 3

Anne Bonny

I like this idea of a publically owned power company. Never should have been privatised in the first place.

The polls are depressing

• Like 3
  • 100 2

I think both major parties are in it for themselves.  Neither represent any pure desire to improve things for all Queenslanders so why not stick with the devil you know?

I know the 50 cent public transport thing was a vote grabbing ploy but you know what?  I don't care.  I've always believed that public transport should be accessible and free to encourage people to use it.  This is pretty close to it.  From my place, it was cheaper and quicker to get an Uber into the city than for me to walk 5/10mins to the ferry stop and catch a CityCat into the city (and then have to walk to my destination).  If there was more than one of us, it was definitely cheaper to catch an Uber and that's the wrong messaging with public transport and reducing private cars.

With the government getting back into energy retailing, I understand the theoretical point the head honcho of the BCA was making against the idea but they are not recognising that the system we have now also isn't the free market at work due to government regulation and globalisation.  There is nothing wrong with government intervention to protect the people.  They are just upset because it won't protect the bottom line of big business.

I can remember where I was reading an article recently, about capitalism rewarding individuals for their efforts (labour or ideas).  It is supposed to be a 'fair' reward because in a free market, there would be balance.  What we have today is not a fair or free market.  If we did, mining magnates would not be billionaires because others could also get access to the minerals and make money digging it out.  Those people's interests are protected by our governments which skews the 'free market'.  It's the same across so many industries.  The government regulates to protect and assist their ability to make money so it is now necessary for the government to step in and protect the general populations' interests too.  This is just a natural balancing act.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 7:23 AM, Anne Bonny said:

The polls are depressing

I don't think Queenslander polls are accurate.  I don't know if it's because people haven't thought that far ahead or if our sense of humour is to tell porky pies 😝

I think once people are in the privacy of the voting box, they do have a serious think.

• Fingers Crossed 2

purplekitty

It's really difficult to be returned after winning 3 consecutive elections.

We also have Labor in government federally and most other States and territories.

That with the basic conservative nature of Qld.  makes me pessimistic.

The funny thing is all the things people are screeching about will be made significantly worse under the LNP.

• Like 5
  • 100 3

Ordinary, I would agree with you @purplekitty but I think the potential opening to the religious right in the LNP will have people considering Miles as an ok option.  Its not that they're voting for him as much as they're voting against the other guy.

Supposedly, Amanda Stoker still has aspirations in politics.  When questioned, Crisafulli didn't rule out putting her as a Senate pick if the LNP won the election.  I don't think the majority of people don't want to empower and activate the hard religious right like it has been in the US with Trump.  They'll rather settle for a bad government that they already know than an even worse one.

Someone tried to tell me that Crisafulli is 'clean' and didn't come to the leadership with debts to repay.  After laughing on the floor for a few minutes, I picked my self up and reminded them of how nasty it was when they ousted Deb Frecklington (sp?) and installed Crisafulli as leader.  Let's not forget he was a minister in Newman's government.  I personally don't mind Newman.  I do think his an arrogant arse but I don't think he was necessarily a bad politician.  He didn't have the deft touch of understanding the electorate and was surrounded by power tripping so and so's with delusions of grandeur but I do believe he was in politics to help.  Jarrod Bleijie is someone I'm much more concerned about.  He's our Qld version of Morrison - someone who thinks they know better and is doing God's work.

I am also disgusted with the LNP's election pitch of "do an adult crime, do adult time".  And this is as a victim of 'youth crime'.  It is so much more complicated than that and just increasing sentencing times won't make a difference.

• Like 2

MerryMadigralMadge
31 minutes ago, Basil said:

Ordinary, I would agree with you @purplekitty but I think the potential opening to the religious right in the LNP will have people considering Miles as an ok option.  Its not that they're voting for him as much as they're voting against the other guy.

Supposedly, Amanda Stoker still has aspirations in politics.  When questioned, Crisafulli didn't rule out putting her as a Senate pick if the LNP won the election.  I don't think the majority of people don't want to empower and activate the hard religious right like it has been in the US with Trump. 

Isn’t Amanda Stoker running as the candidate for Oodgeroo? She’ll probably win that seat, so the right wing flank is just getting bigger and louder.

• Like 1
  • Sick 2
  • Sad 1

Anne Bonny

@Basil  I thought Amanda Stoker won preselection for Oodgeroo last year. Unfortunately that takes in a mini bible belt that has developed around the Ormiston/Birkdale section of the Redlands.

Edited by Anne Bonny

Anne Bonny
4 hours ago, purplekitty said:

It's really difficult to be returned after winning 3 consecutive elections.

We also have Labor in government federally and most other States and territories.

That with the basic conservative nature of Qld.  makes me pessimistic.

The funny thing is all the things people are screeching about will be made significantly worse under the LNP.

Qld is so reactionary. We always elect a state govt the opposite stripes to the feds. The sad thing is since Miles became leader Qld Labor is actually acting like a Labor party. I worry if they get kicked in the teeth for actually going to an election with policies that go some way to actually address the drivers of inequality they'll go the way of federal Labor- too timid to actually undo policy settings the LNP are likely to bring in.

I mean last go round the LNP basically gutted our health system while playing statistical KPI games to say it wasn't happening. I had a parent with severe kidney issues during that period and whether she was still in sepsis or not, every time she hit that 9 day mark she was kicked out. Only to bounce back in full septic shock 24 hours later. On one occasion she coded in the ER waiting to be readmitted. But 9 days was the KPI and patient welfare be damned. It was a bloody nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Worried 1
  • Sad 3

Paddlepop
1 hour ago, Basil said:

Jarrod Bleijie is someone I'm much more concerned about.  He's our Qld version of Morrison - someone who thinks they know better and is doing God's work.

He’s an arrogant dickhead who enjoys power trips IMO. He fucked people over when he was the police/justice/crime minister. My brother worked as an acting magistrate (within a Qld public service job) and had for quite a few years but once Bleijie was minister he and many others were no longer allowed to be acting magistrates despite their qualifications and experience doing the job. This increased the load on magistrates and caused a slow down in cases being heard. Not sure how that was meant to improve law and order. Once Bleijie was gone my brother was able to recommence acting magistrate work and still does a lot of it as part of his Qld public service job. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

Isn’t Amanda Stoker running as the candidate for Oodgeroo? She’ll probably win that seat, so the right wing flank is just getting bigger and louder.

1 hour ago, Anne Bonny said:

@Basil  I thought Amanda Stoker won preselection for Oodgeroo last year. Unfortunately that takes in a mini bible belt that has developed around the Ormiston/Birkdale section of the Redlands.

Yeah, but she has Federal aspirations 🤢

• Sick 2

purplekitty
2 hours ago, Anne Bonny said:

There a lots of religious churches in Qld besides the main ones.

I don't think the thought of Crisafulli  will put them off at all.

I will have to disagree with you @Basil,Newman was a disaster and he had no idea about governing for the greater good. Very narrow, tunnel vision with concrete thinking.

I would hate to see him ever enter public office again. I don't trust him.

I always say physicists and engineers were the worst offenders back in the day (way before Covid and the current crop of anti vaxers) when discussing healthcare.

• Like 4

nom_de_plume

This thread has reminded me I need to change my enrolment 🤦🏼‍♀️ and I've also realised I'll have to chase up the papers for our local government election in Vic because we're still enrolled there and that's around the same time.

Romeo Void
On 06/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, Basil said:

I don't think Queenslander polls are accurate.  I don't know if it's because people haven't thought that far ahead or if our sense of humour is to tell porky pies 😝

I think once people are in the privacy of the voting box, they do have a serious think.

I have family living in the country and Labor are really on the nose from what I'm hearing.  They're completely oblivious to the religious elements in the LNP.

Edited by Romeo Void
  • Like 2
  • 100 1
  • Sad 1

I think the LNP “tough on youth crime” (eg lock everyone up instead on looking at more effective long term options) seems to be strongly appealing to lots of (mostly) regional voters where youth offending is a major issue. 

And I agree with @Romeo Void that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of consideration of what other ideas/beliefs LNP brings with it. 

Edited by Saphy
Spelling
  • Like 2

MerryMadigralMadge

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10-08/queensland-election-abortion-lnp-alp-katter/104445154

Katter's Australian Party pledges to introduce private member's bill to repeal Queensland abortion laws

The Katter's Australian Party (KAP) is vowing to introduce a private member's bill to repeal abortion laws in the next term of Queensland parliament.

Labor decriminalised abortion in 2018 allowing terminations on request up to 22 weeks' gestation.

After that point, two medical practitioners need to sign off on the procedure.

On Tuesday, Robbie Katter said his party – which currently has four Queensland MPs – would introduce legislation to wind back the law.

Mr Katter's revelation is significant because of the number of LNP politicians and candidates who have expressed anti-abortion views.

All but two current LNP politicians who were in parliament in 2018 voted against decriminalisation, including LNP leader David Crisafulli and deputy leader Jarrod Bleijie.

Mr Crisafulli has repeatedly said there would be "no change" to abortion laws under an LNP government, but has declined to explain how he can guarantee that.

• Angry 6

Oh FFS. Bloody men trying to control women’s bodies. They should STFU. At least they’re saying it now so people can choose whether to vote for these fuckwits or not.

It hasn’t even been truly legal for that many years here. 

I’m guessing that they think that Trump is awesome. 

Good demonstration that Crisafulli isn’t a strong leader if they’re ignoring him.

• Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Love 1

Advertisement