IGNORED

Reducing processed snacks/junk food

blueshoe

Greenbean
On 01/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, Blueskies12 said:

Sorry to jump in OP, but I feel my youngest basically needs a gut reset. If anyone has ideas on this please share. He’s driven for sweets and also prefers processed, limited vegetable intake. 

So I’m trying to do no sweets this week including homemade. I do love banana bread made using honey as the sweetener normally. Greek yoghurt with some honey or jam mixed in. Boiled eggs and cucumber, carrot, dips. Roasted chickpeas. Popcorn on the stove. Banana smoothies.

I saw something on my Facebook feed that resonated with me. It said kids don't need a zillion snack options but a rotation. This lady suggested always having 3 things in offer -

1. A fruit

2. Cheese or savoury

3. Homemade something 

In this example she had mandarins, cheese sticks with crackers and homemade Muesli bars. Then she swaps to a different fruit etc. 

Otherwise my suggestion was going to be homemade popcorn. So easy to do and it stores well in a container for a few days. Once you get the knack of popping it yourself on a stovetop so much easier and healthier. I once opened a microwave popcorn bag that was "salted" rather than butter but was shocked what gunk it was covered in. You can do fun toppings but we like - olive oil, paprika and sea salt

Also massive fan of roasted chickpeas or pan fried cashews as a savoury option. 

Edited by Greenbean
Autocorrect
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, blueshoe said:

How much vanilla do you use, @Pip?

about 1/4tsp but I just lightly squeeze the tube and it drops out 

• Like 1

dianalynch
11 hours ago, Princess Peach said:

The almond meal makes it not suitable for lunchboxes in some primary schools & most kindy's though.

we've had an email home from school about this a - there is a child in my grad 3 kid's class who is anaphalactic to all tree nuts so we have specific emails mentioning about no nut flour products in our kid's lunchboxes. The rest of the school is not actual nut's or nut bars.

i make these apple oat muffins for my kids to attempt to fill them up

https://marisamoore.com/healthy-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal-muffins/

Also Julie Godwin's cheesy vegetable muffins are good savoury.

It is suitable for my kid’s primary school and class atm, but everyone needs to make their own assessment based on their situation. I assumed people could do that. I have anaphylaxis to sesame, so I’m concerned when a school has a blanket approach to allergy management. Or by assuming only recipes containing nuts are an issue. Education about risks, different allergies and cross contamination is really important. Nuts are not the only allergen. 

• Like 3
  • 100 2
  • Love 1

Princess Peach
On 3/10/2024 at 10:35 PM, dianalynch said:

It is suitable for my kid’s primary school and class atm, but everyone needs to make their own assessment based on their situation. I assumed people could do that. I have anaphylaxis to sesame, so I’m concerned when a school has a blanket approach to allergy management. Or by assuming only recipes containing nuts are an issue. Education about risks, different allergies and cross contamination is really important. Nuts are not the only allergen. 

I agree that people do need to make their own assessment, but the number of parents responses about having no idea nutmeals are nuts was astounding. I thought it was logical - but it obviously wasn’t.

• Surprised 1

nom_de_plume

I often make zucchini slice. It's pretty versatile and you can add bacon, corn, carrots, sweet potato (depending on what you have). High protein and a serve of veg. Can be eaten hot or cold, as a snack or meal.

I also make soup most weeks. A cup of soup and a piece of toast is a relatively healthy after school snack. Again, usually contains protein and veg and fills them up until dinner. Freezes/reheats well. Generally cheap and a good way to use up leftovers and sad veggies before grocery day.

Boiled eggs, veggie sticks or rice crackers and cheese or dip (most kids seem to like hummus or tzatziki), greek yoghurt with fruit puree or berries, a piece of whole fruit, popcorn, baked oats (cut into slices) or Anzac biscuits, banana bread ... These are the things we regularly have for snacks in our household.

• Like 2

Fruitmincepies

Similar to zucchini slice, corn fritters make a great snack, and you can change up the flavours, add different vegetables etc. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

dianalynch
1 hour ago, Jenflea said:

I love a fritter. 

Me too! I will try to make some this week, it’s been a while and they’re so good to have in the fridge for lunch…or snacking. 

• Like 2

Advertisement