IGNORED

Do you wish you had a smaller mortgage/smaller house or bigger mortgage/bigger house

daisies_forever

Kiwi Bicycle

I would try an buy a 3 bedroom, or an older 2 bedroom unit that is big and with something like a seperate dining/ living area that could be converted to an extra bedroom by either walling off or putting up a furniture wall that can be removed ( like using Ikea wardrobes). Because you cannot extend a unit at all- you need all the neighbours plus all the body corp in unanimous agreement even before you can get council approval. 

• Like 2

Greenbean

I'd stay on the smaller end of the budget as you have a lot of unknowns coming your way. Cost of IVF (I did 10 rounds), possibility of multiple birth (going on maternity leave earlier and possible prematurity), needing early bed rest etc. 

Also you just can't tell what you might want to do for maternity leave until it's time. I ended up taking less leave, but working 0.6 days for 2.5 years and now I'm 0.8 and will stay like this forever if I can.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

Not Escapin Xmas

Def smaller house. Totally agree with PP re unexpected costs AND you might not return to full time work. If it all works out and you end up in a high paying role, you can reassess then. A definitely long term roof over your head is WAY more important than an extra bedroom you might not need.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

When we were pregnant with our first we could have borrowed triple what we ended up borrowing. Knowing we would be living on one salary for a few years we bought small, with a lower mortgage. Later when back to 2 salaries we extended: worked well for us.

• Like 2

Advertisement