IGNORED

More Australians now eligible for free Shingles vaccination

everybump

The free shingles vaccination is now available to more people over 18 who are immunocompromised due to an underlying health condition or as a side effect of treatment.

This free vaccine will now cover hundreds of thousands of more Australians living with underlying health conditions.

Free shingles vaccination is already available for people aged 65 and older, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 and older and high-risk immunocompromised adults with certain medical conditions.

• Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful blistering rash as a result of the reactivation of the same virus that causes chickenpox.
  • While most symptoms typically last 2–3 weeks, shingles can lead to nerve pain that can last for months.
  • Vaccination is a safe and effective way to protect yourself from serious complications caused by shingles.

Advice is available for health professionals at this link.

Patients are encouraged to talk to their immunisation provider about eligibility for this vaccine.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-mark-butler-mp/media/more-australians-now-eligible-for-free-shingles-vaccination

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

Our school has had chicken pox for weeks, I wonder if it's the same elsewhere? 

Oh no! There’s no mention of it at any of the three schools which my kids attend, yet!🤞🏻

(NW Sydney)

• Fingers Crossed 1

Moomintroll
22 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

In the US it's apparently available for anyone over 50. I asked my GP and she said no :(

My GP is constantly trying to get me to have it. But for around $400, so I say no. i think if you are happy to pay Jenflea, you should be able to get it. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Having seen my dad suffer and it almost getting in his eye ( which can damage your nerves there and can cayse vision loss) , yeah as soon as I can, I will be getting it. He had it for 2 weeks. He waited too long to get the anti virals,  his GP told him off.

• Care 1
  • Crying 1
  • Sad 1

My mum had shingles a few years ago. Thankfully it was diagnosed quickly enough for her to have antivirals. It was near one of her eyes. She said it was very painful. She’s since been vaccinated. 

DH is eligible under the new rules for immunocompromised people. The fine print for who is regarded as immunocompromised is on pages 3 and 4:

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/2024-08/national-immunisation-program-shingles-vaccination-program-advice-for-health-professionals-september-2024.pdf

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Zee said:

Our school has had chicken pox for weeks, I wonder if it's the same elsewhere? 

Do you think people are vaccinating and having the follow up ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STBG 2 said:

If the second one is supposed to be given at 4 wouldn’t you need it it be on your vaccination certificate to start school?

It’s been a long long time since I had a 4 year old.  

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle
4 minutes ago, HoneyBear said:

If the second one is supposed to be given at 4 wouldn’t you need it it be on your vaccination certificate to start school?

Only one chicken pox vaccine is on the schedule and free, the second one is optional and you have to pay for it.

A chickenpox vaccination is given to children aged 18 months as part of their normal schedule of vaccinations. It is very effective, has few side effects and is free in Australia.

A second dose of the chickenpox vaccine (booster) can be given to further increase protection. This needs to be given at least one month after the initial vaccine.

2 hours ago, STBG 2 said:

I wish I knew. I haven't heard of anyone with it for years, so it really caught me by surprise. 

Might ask the GP about boosters after reading Kiwi's post.

• Like 1

Stupid question- can you just pay for a shingles vaccine if you don’t qualify? I’m only 44 but never had chicken pox as a kid. I did pay for the chicken pox vaccine in my 20s.

Moomintroll
5 minutes ago, Elfie34 said:

Stupid question- can you just pay for a shingles vaccine if you don’t qualify? I’m only 44 but never had chicken pox as a kid. I did pay for the chicken pox vaccine in my 20s.

Yes you can, problem is it's very expensive (I think about $600 now I have researched it)

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Elfie34 said:

Yes. It’s expensive and you need to have two vaccines about 6 months apart. I’m like you in that I didn’t get chicken pox as a child and I paid for chicken pox vaccinations in my 30s. I didn’t even realise that there was a vaccine until I had DD and saw it on the immunisation schedule.

Kiwi Bicycle
12 minutes ago, Elfie34 said:

I am not sure why you would have the shingles vax as you haven't had chicken pox. Shingles is the reactivation of the chicken pox virus as an adult. Unless there is some chance you have had chicken pox. I had a mild case as an adult and I originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to our carpet being cleaned. However that itchy rash I showed the doctor was CP and I have scars in my face from it. I wasn't ill.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes you can, problem is it's very expensive (I think about $600 now I have researched it)

Oh my goodness no I won’t be paying that

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I am not sure why you would have the shingles vax as you haven't had chicken pox. Shingles is the reactivation of the chicken pox virus as an adult. Unless there is some chance you have had chicken pox. I had a mild case as an adult and I originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to our carpet being cleaned. However that itchy rash I showed the doctor was CP and I have scars in my face from it. I wasn't ill.

I guess I may have had it without symptoms as my entire family had it when I was in primary school. But maybe I don’t need to worry- I have just seen some very sick people from shingles so was hoping to be proactive. 

• Like 1

So a question- if I've already had shingles (I'm in my 30s) should I be prioritising having the vaccine, or do would they classify that as having an immunity. Would I get it for free or not?

I had 6yrs ago, on my back thankfully but still took a good month to recover and then 6mths for the scars to go away. Even now when I'm run down that same patch on my back will be itchy.

ETA - I had chickenpox bad as a kid in Kindy, so that immunity definitely didn't stop shingles!

Edited by Elmo

My understanding is that having chicken pox does not make you immune from shingles but heightens the risk of shingles as shingles is caused by the reactivation of chicken pox.

• Like 2
  • 100 2

3 hours ago, HoneyBear said:

I have a 4yo, just checked his vaccination history. He got the chicken pox vaccine at 18mo, I have a vague recollection of one of the vaccines being in two stages, a month apart but there’s only one date listed.

Kiwi Bicycle
3 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

My understanding is that having chicken pox does not make you immune from shingles but heightens the risk of shingles as shingles is caused by the reactivation of chicken pox.

That's correct. But if you haven't had chicken pox, you cannot get shingles.

And yes, although rare, you can get shingles again @Elmo as the virus is still there. So a vax would be worthwhile.

I had chicken pox when I was 5, I’m pretty sure my entire class had it and I got shingles at 17. I remember the doctor being very bewildered because apparently only people over 50 got shingles. This was late 90’s. 
Hoping since I’ve had it once I can’t get it again, I can still remember that pain pretty clearly.

2 minutes ago, BoyMum2 said:

I had chicken pox when I was 5, I’m pretty sure my entire class had it and I got shingles at 17. I remember the doctor being very bewildered because apparently only people over 50 got shingles. This was late 90’s. 
Hoping since I’ve had it once I can’t get it again, I can still remember that pain pretty clearly.

Yes my Dr was very surprised too when the swab was positive! Because I was far too young apparently 😄

35 minutes ago, Elfie34 said:

I guess I may have had it without symptoms as my entire family had it when I was in primary school. But maybe I don’t need to worry- I have just seen some very sick people from shingles so was hoping to be proactive. 

My aunt has never knowingly had chicken pox despite everyone in her family having it when she was a child. She had shingles a few years ago. It can happen.

• Like 2

I had chicken pox at 11 and then shingles at 27. My doctor was very surprised too. I was breastfeeding at the time so couldn't have the anti-virals. DS was fine (before the days of the chicken pox vaccine). I wondered if having had shingles was in any way reassuring, but it doesn't sound like it. I am definitely interested in a vaccine, as I don't want that pain again. But not $600 interested.

Me having shingles helped my MIL though - she got it and I remembered that there was something they could have given me, so she got to the doctor quickly and got the anti-virals, and had a much milder case. At least I helped someone.

• Like 1

Advertisement