IGNORED

Arrest in Easey Street murders almost 50 years later

Darryl

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in the Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

Archived article from The Age: https://archive.md/EvICl

ABC news: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-21/easey-street-murders-arrest-collingwood/104379910

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Thanks 2

Oh wow.

My ex husband was a child a couple of doors down in Easey St at the time of the murders, he attended Victoria Park Primary School and always remembered this case, so I have followed it.

I hope this helps their families a little, and that poor baby.

• Like 4
  • Care 4

purplekitty

Oh my goodness.

I've never forgotten those murders, I think of them every time I go down Hoddle St.

I bought a house not too far away not that long after.

Justice many years too late.

It gives hope that the High St. book shop murder and the Beaumont disappearance will have resolution.

• Like 2
  • 100 2

A long time coming, he would have thought he'd got away with it. This was very close to home and I could not at the time relax. I was not a mum yet but all I could think of was that poor baby.  DH was stationed in the area, the girls had a close friend who worked at the station with him who had visited them just days before this happened.

I agree with @purplekitty I wish the book shop and Beaumont cases could be resolved.

• Like 5
  • Care 1

Phillipa Crawford

So glad progress has been made.
I grew up in country SA in the 60's and early 70's.

While the Beaumonts must have been in the background I was far more aware of the girls who disappeared from Adelaide oval during a football match in 1973.

Sadly the chances of fnding the beaumont's abducor or that of those two is remote
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-25/joanne-ratcliffe-and-kirste-gordon-disappeared-50-years-ago/102770974

• Sad 4

So pleased to see some justice and progress here. This happened before I was born but I recall the story and always think of it when I pass the street. I live not too far away and when I was house hunting there was a house on easey st and I couldn't even consider going to the open house

ContentedFleur

I'm so glad this case has never been forgotten and that there will now be some justice done. My parents are too; they were friends with the parents of one of the girls, and have never forgotten how utterly devastated the families were. The man is 65, so he would have been in his late teens at the time, I wonder if he has other crimes attached to his name...

• Care 1

I’ve been interested to hear that the police have had him watched for many years and must have been so gratifying for them to be able to nab him.  

I was only a few years younger than them, and living alone in Melbourne at the time, so the case has certainly stayed with me.  

• Like 3

dianalynch

I think they’ve had him on a watch list for many years as they couldn’t extradite him from Greece 

They found the knife in his car at the time, yet somehow he eluded justice. Grateful to the police who never gave up. 

• Like 1

Romeo Void
13 hours ago, dianalynch said:

They found the knife in his car at the time

Ah, I wondered what they had on him...

I am quite intrigued by this.  So sounds like they found him in the area at the time with a knife, but did not regard him as a suspect.  Then some time later, at least 7 years after the murders, he became a suspect.  They worked out some sort of DNA match from a relative? Then they knew it was him but had to wait for him to leave Greece to arrest him?

I am keen to know why he was not a suspect in the first place given his proximity and that he had a knife.  And I wonder if the family were aware that police knew who the killer was but could not do anything about it until he travelled?  The whole thing is just heartbreaking. I felt sorry for the child at the time.  But do again now with it all being brought back up and the media probably very keen to talk to him.

• Like 2

The family who live regionally were visited by the police before the public and the press were informed of the arrest. The family and the squad have maintained good relationships with the police who never gave up. 

Policing and investigation of 47 years ago should not be judged on what is available today.

• Like 2

ContentedFleur

In the news stories, I read that it wasn't uncommon for Greek men to be carrying knives, because there was a fair bit of gangland warfare happening between them and the Kane brothers, so this bloke having a knife wouldn't in itself be suspicious. But for it to be bloodstained, and then for him to flee the country; that couldn't have been more suspicious if it tried! 
I got the impression that the police have been watching him like a hawk, waiting for him to leave Greece so that they could arrest him. 

Phillipa Crawford

There was an Interpol red flag attached to his name. So when he travelled it would have come up automatically 

According to media reports, he didn’t leave Australia until 2017, the year a reward of one million was posted for solving the cold case and he (and presumably other persons of interest) were asked to provide DNA samples. Allegedly, he agreed to comply, but left Australia for an holiday and didn’t return.

The most accurate and detailed reporting is coming from the Age - John Silvester is very thorough with this, and knows his stuff:

https://archive.is/rvsLb

So after initially being found with the bloodstained knife, detectives went to question him, but he was on the run to escape burglary charges.

These two paragraphs are very telling:

The inquest was held in July 1977, the same month Kouroumblis’ parents sold their home in Bendigo Street, Collingwood – three streets away from Easey Street.

The parents dropped off the electoral roll in 1980 and are believed to have later returned to Greece. Perry “Dingo” Kouroumblis, Australian-born, also moved to Greece before returning to Victoria.

So, 2017 wasn't the first time he'd bunked off to Greece to lie low and escape questioning/charges.

Advertisement