IGNORED

Dog attack

Cstar

8 minutes ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

those 3 dogs shot by the police - family pets apparently, and the police tried capsicum spray first, and then 19 shots to stop the dogs. 

They had those dogs for years apparently. 

And this dog was tasered twice after it broke through a window before Police shot it. It had bitten partially off a cop's ear. Of course the family are devastating and say " it was only trying to protect the family". Breaking a window and biting the head of a cop is pretty extreme protection.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/western-australias-police-commissioner-col-blanch-defends-police-officers-decision-shoot-dog-canning-vale-perth/79d891c9-04d4-471d-adea-eb255a958a97

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle
  • Surprised 1
  • Angry 6

4 minutes ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

those 3 dogs shot by the police - family pets apparently, and the police tried capsicum spray first, and then 19 shots to stop the dogs. 

They had those dogs for years apparently. 

A pitbull and 2 bulldogs raised by her partner since birth. Maybe they just didn't know her very well, she may not have been someone around as they were raised. They must have seen her as a threat when she walked out the back door and the pack went for her. 

I am sure we'll hear all sorts of comments about the fact they were gentle previously.

• Like 1

All the "It's the owner, not the breed" people have not helped this.   While this CAN be true, people love to think dog behaviour is a result of how you treat them, when that just isn't always the case.  Dogs have been bred for centuries for specific purposes, heck their behaviour is *in each breed's breed standard*.    So while "polite" behaviour of dogs can be down to training basics, innate behaviour isn't.      Same with adopt don't shop.  Nope, I'm going to a breeder to get the specific breed I want that has had health checks and has been bred to the standard.    I don't want the small white fluffy or the 500 staffies. 

• Like 7

Chocolate Addict
1 hour ago, STBG 2 said:

I am sure we'll hear all sorts of comments about the fact they were gentle previously.

Actually on the news yesterday one of the neighbours said it wasn't the first time they have attacked just not that badly.

• Angry 11

There needs to be zero tolerance. One bite and that’s it, dog is put down. We don’t need dogs that bite in society, at all. We don’t need guard dogs unless they’re owned by police. And owners might invest in muzzles and better fences if they knew there was no second chances.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

There needs to be zero tolerance. One bite and that’s it, dog is put down. We don’t need dogs that bite in society, at all. We don’t need guard dogs unless they’re owned by police. And owners might invest in muzzles and better fences if they knew there was no second chances.  

Nah, you need some nuance and a case by case basis is better.

My dog attacked my mum out of the blue one day, completely out of character for him.  She was vacuuming and something got stuck and made a really high pitched noise and he lost it.    We took him to the vet  and he had a huge growth right on his ear drum - the noise must have caused some intense pain.  He had an op, was fine, lived till 15 and never showed any signs ever again.

All dogs bite, given the right circumstances.  Or wrong.   If a human whacks a dog over the head and the dog bites, there's no need for euthanasia, the dog was pushed into it.    

Unprovoked, sure, PTS.    Also dogs who attack in a pack.

But nope, I think zero tolerance without context is unfair.

• Like 5

The Melbourne dogs had also attacked before and were known to council due to complaints and a dog attack (I think). FFS, impound them, destroy them, don’t wait for the next attack to happen.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/dandenong-dog-attack-victim-was-attacked-just-days-earlier-says-neighbour-20241011-p5khj4.html

• Like 4
  • Surprised 1
  • Angry 3
  • Sad 3

Jesus. 

1 hour ago, LemonMyrtle said:

The Melbourne dogs had also attacked before and were known to council due to complaints and a dog attack (I think). FFS, impound them, destroy them, don’t wait for the next attack to happen.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/dandenong-dog-attack-victim-was-attacked-just-days-earlier-says-neighbour-20241011-p5khj4.html

• Angry 1

I have a very patient small dog who is well trained.  If I need to shower while the kids are home, he comes in the bathroom with me.  Younger kids always need to be supervised around dogs.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, LemonMyrtle said:

I disagree.  I live in an area that has big crime issues.  Most is just theft but some of it is violent with a weapon and, most are drug fuelled.  

Our big and potentially vicious dog, gives me peace of mind while living where we are without barricading ourselves in our yard.

52 minutes ago, Basil said:

Our big and potentially vicious dog, gives me peace of mind while living where we are without barricading ourselves in our yard.

I kind of get that but how do you ( hypothetical) feel if your dog was seriously injured or killed by someone? Most real guard dogs are not pets, they are working dogs first. I am not sure I could own a pet with the idea their death or injury is for the greater good/ save our family.

I often visited farms where there were working dogs who lived in outside kennels. They were not pets, although treated extremely well.

• Like 1

I see guard dogs at a home the same as having a gun in the house. Sure, it might defend you from something. But it also might go off when an inquisitive child has a play. Or it might get stolen and misused. Or you might accidentally shoot yourself. They’re dangerous things to keep around. They need proper licensing and proper storage/fencing. 

• Like 2
  • 100 2

4 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

I see guard dogs at a home the same as having a gun in the house. Sure, it might defend you from something. But it also might go off when an inquisitive child has a play. Or it might get stolen and misused. Or you might accidentally shoot yourself. They’re dangerous things to keep around. They need proper licensing and proper storage/fencing. 

I see no similarity. A gun in the house, in Australia, is locked up, and locked separate to the ammunition. Getting to the weapon, does not get you to the ammunition.

There is no similar legal requirements for a god.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Over and out said:

I see no similarity. A gun in the house, in Australia, is locked up, and locked separate to the ammunition. Getting to the weapon, does not get you to the ammunition.

Yeah, I’m saying there should be the same requirements as they are just as dangerous. 

14 hours ago, Over and out said:

OMG quoting myself. I cant believe that brain fart/typo/auto correct. If only DH was around to see that. 

Yep, definitely gods should be locked up

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I kind of get that but how do you (hypothetical) feel if your dog was seriously injured or killed by someone?

Very relieved that it wasn't worse.

In a situation where there is an armed intruder, I have got my children to back behind me into a safer room, held my barking dog and retreated.  I am not a confrontational person with a drug fuelled person.  Our 'stuff' is insured and I could give a hoot about it.  

My and my family's physical safety though?  If, the intruder came into the room we had retreated to?  I know our dog would lunge and attack.  I know I would be prepared to attack to defend my kids even if it meant my life/safety would be in jeopardy.  If the dog or I were injured in the defence of my children, I would be sad but also relieved that my children were hopefully, physically unharmed.

Luckily for us, the second part of the scenario hasn't occurred.  We have had the first part happen a number of times and the presence of our dog has discouraged many a 'visitor'.  A police officer who attended a break in at my parent's home and kind of knew me, recommended they get a big dog as a deterrent.  The police officers who have attended my home after break ins or following up about neighbour's break ins have usually remarked on our dog and the benefit of having him as a deterrent.

13 hours ago, LemonMyrtle said:

Our yard is securely fenced and we have a sign at the pedestrian gate warning people to not enter because there is a dog on the premises.

Our dog is an inside dog and spends very little time outside unsupervised because I worry about baiting.  We only have people over who are comfortable with our dog which suits me as an introvert who likes my home as a sanctuary away from people.

We always have him on a leash on walks and I'm not a big fan of dog parks but he's been perfectly sociable with other dogs in dog parks.  He's perfectly fine at the dog kennel and we've never had feedback about him with staff or other dogs.

I don't recommend a dog to everyone because you need to know what you're doing with dog ownership and it is a burden/inconvenience to everyday life.  He is part of our family and I believe would sacrifice his life for us if the situation arose.   

Advertisement