IGNORED

Dog attack

Cstar

Yogaalaates
1 minute ago, StillFreddiesMum said:

Some specific dog breeds are bred to be hunting dogs / attack dogs.  They should never be around children. 

I agree there. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

LemonMyrtle
11 minutes ago, Paddlepop said:

Dogs need to be owned by responsible people who train them in how to behave appropriately. The owners then need to actually actively control their dogs when strangers might come into contact with them. Children need to be taught by their parents how to interact with a dog. 

Dogs are great and have way more positives than negatives. The key is responsible owners.

I agree. (Although the jury is out on whether our dog brought more joy than extra work, DH would say the positives won outright)

And yet, we had to ban caesarstone bench tops completely, because people couldn’t be trusted to do the right thing in a (theoretically) regulated manufacturing industry where safe cutting methods exist. And that’s just one example. 

people can’t be trusted. They will never be able to be trusted. We need to be much much more strict on who can buy a dog, if at all. Especially what breed they can own. 

• Like 10

Yogaalaates
21 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

I agree. (Although the jury is out on whether our dog brought more joy than extra work, DH would say the positives won outright)

And yet, we had to ban caesarstone bench tops completely, because people couldn’t be trusted to do the right thing in a (theoretically) regulated manufacturing industry where safe cutting methods exist. And that’s just one example. 

people can’t be trusted. They will never be able to be trusted. We need to be much much more strict on who can buy a dog, if at all. Especially what breed they can own. 

We already ban dangerous breeds, but along with registering your dog, owners should be required to do training. And I think too many people let their dog off lead when they really shouldn’t, and can’t control them. I have seen the result of this in serious dog bites.

Good information here:
https://dogandcatboard.com.au/gooddogsbaddays

https://premier.sa.gov.au/media-releases/news-items/sa-government-teams-up-with-australia-post-to-prevent-more-dog-attacks-on-posties

The Malinauskas Government is poised to introduce tough new laws and increased penalties for dogs owners whose pet attack people, dogs and other animals.

Attributable to Susan Close

Dogs are loved by most South Australians, but the reality is that hundreds of people are bitten by them each year in our state.

Posties do a very important job and they, should be safe to do their work.

This campaign is not about demonising or stigmatising any dog, it is about raising awareness on how to keep yourself, other people and our dogs safe.

We love dogs, and it is important to protect them as well. That’s why some of the safety messaging contains information about what we as humans can do to recognise how we might be in danger of being bitten.

Attributable to David Parkin, Chair, Dog and Cat Management Board

Many dog bite victims are not aware they should report attacks to their local council, even if they don’t need medical treatment. Any dog can bite and the Board is committed to raising awareness and ongoing education.

Our research has shown public awareness campaigns and ongoing education can help change people’s behaviour, but it will take time and commitment to achieve results.

The Board is committed to ongoing dog bite education for the mid to long term because dogs are part of our families—they provide more benefits than costs and our research is highlighting areas we can target to reduce bites.

• Like 2

I think in some respects it's easy to say the problem is "bad owners who don't take responsibility" etc etc because,  well that's not us, right? We're all good people. We would never be irresponsible pet owners. So that could never happen to us. 

Yet how often do you read the stories of absolutely horrific attacks where its a much loved pet and they never saw it coming. With hindsight, I'm sure there's things they think they could've done differently. But those people aren't looking at themselves before that moment thinking "I'm an irresponsible pet owner."

Sometimes it's blatantly irresponsible and/or abusive owners. Sometimes it's misguided owners thinking they're doing the right thing or underestimating their responsibilities.

And sometimes it's just the animal. Regardless of whether its been bred by a responsible breeder, gone straight to a loving home with experienced dog owners who do all the training and where every single resource available is thrown it's way. When the right combination of circumstances happen, it's still aggressive.

Friends had a horrific experience with a purebred dog with extreme anxiety that presented as aggression. It was PTS after the 3rd attack seriously injured the owner and they were forced to face the fact their beloved dog, despite all the professional intervention, would kill their child in a heartbeat because the neighbour's car backfired and nothing they did could ever guarantee their safety.

• Like 6
  • Crying 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

LemonMyrtle

As the link says above. “Any dog can bite”.

dogs off lead should be illegal, full stop. No matter the location. I’ve lost count of the amount of times an off lead dog has approached my kids on the beach or at the park, and the owners do nothing. It’s scary. Compulsory muzzles would be good too. 

• Like 4
  • 100 7

Kiwi Bicycle

Or an owner brings a dog to a park with a shared path and gets upset when the dog " freaks out" when a bike goes past. Had a large dog run up and bark and almost bite us riding, only to get told " he's scared of bikes". If your dog was truly sacred,  he would be running away from a bike. And we almost got bit as we stopped due his crazy running and only me almost ramming my front wheel into the dog stopped them from chomping DS.

If you know your dog is triggered by something, leash them or don't take them to that park. There's other off leash parks around with no bike trails.

• Like 1
  • 100 8
  • Angry 4

@Kiwi Bicycle If you have the time contact the council about it and ask them to get the ranger out to the area. Funny how a few visits from the council rangers gets the dogs off the bike track for a bit.

• Like 2

Moomintroll
25 minutes ago, Needaname said:

Or the dog runs up to a terrified child and all the dog owner says is "it's ok he/she's friendly". Also the entitlement of a lot of dog owners to let their dog off the lead in clearly marked on lead areas and then become abusive if asked to put the dog on a lead apparently the law does not apply to many dog owners.

Yeah this is so annoying.  Just yesterday an off lead dog approached me. Normally I wouldn't really care, but this one growled at me. I called to the owner, 40m ahead, who said "sorry about that" and he thought that was the end of the story.  I said maybe you should put him on a lead if he's going to growl at people. He stared at me as if trying to come up with an excuse not to. He eventually said "he doesn't usually growl at people" 🙄🙄🙄 well he just did and you saw it! He put the lead on, dog growls and lunges at me again.  This is if course in an on lead area but dog owners are very entitled about having their dogs off lead nonetheless.  

• Like 7
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1

HuggleMonster

I agree with the posters above.  Dogs should be on lead when out - when I was growing up we always kept our dogs on a lead when off our property.

Councils can also help by separating off lead and on lead areas more.  Where I live there is beach with a park area next to it.  The park is off lead, but dogs aren't allowed on the beach.  Its right next to the beach - of course dogs run from the park onto the beach!

I also think more dog breeds should be banned.  There is no need for anyone to own a dog that is bred to bring down a pig.  If you want to go pig hunting (and I don't think anyone should do this anyway), use a gun.  Even though any dog can bite, the potential damage from a Bull Arab is miles away from the potential damage from a toy poodle.

• Like 5
  • 100 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a child who was attacked by a Maltese X which jumped up and bit her nose when she looked through a hole in the gate to find the slide opener and get the gate open. The family knew my DD was coming and there was only one way into the house through a solid gate with a small hand opening with the lock being several cms below the hole.

Had it been a Bull Arab she'd have lost her nose.

She had successful minor surgery but all we got from the owners was " she's never done that before ". Sorry but not good enough, especially when there was no offer to help with medical bills.

I suggested I would contact the council and report it then suddenly we got an offer to pay her ED excess and treatment because they'd 'forgotten' to register her. Amazing and proof that nobody really knows what their dog is capable of and this means that all dogs need to be supervised, particularly around children and if you don't you are liable.

• Surprised 2
  • Angry 11

Yogaalaates
25 minutes ago, HuggleMonster said:

I agree with the posters above.  Dogs should be on lead when out - when I was growing up we always kept our dogs on a lead when off our property.

Councils can also help by separating off lead and on lead areas more.  Where I live there is beach with a park area next to it.  The park is off lead, but dogs aren't allowed on the beach.  Its right next to the beach - of course dogs run from the park onto the beach!

I also think more dog breeds should be banned.  There is no need for anyone to own a dog that is bred to bring down a pig.  If you want to go pig hunting (and I don't think anyone should do this anyway), use a gun.  Even though any dog can bite, the potential damage from a Bull Arab is miles away from the potential damage from a toy poodle.

Where I walk is under different council areas. So one section says dogs are allowed off lead, then all of a sudden, dogs must be on lead. I don’t understand why they can’t just agree that the entire park should be dogs on lead only. Safer and less confusing for everyone. AFAIK there is a dog park not too far away. I’m about to become a dog owner but I won’t be using it (because people suck). If people need their dogs to go off lead, go to the bloody dog park! We will walk at the usual park but I really hope we don’t have problems with dogs off lead. And i already have my dog enrolled at puppy school and have been looking at the follow on school, too. 

MerryMadigralMadge

I have a Havanese who has never bitten anything or anyone, but he’s permanently on lead when we walk him. There are so many dogs on our route off lead (and not supposed to be) where the owner is metres in front of their dog, not looking back at all, while their dog runs from one side to another. 

or even on lead, but with a long extender/retractable lead, so the dog is still roaming all the place. 

The path is also a commuter bike route, that gets really busy with city commuters and kids riding to and from primary schools. 

I'm always amazed by these lackadaisical dog owners - completely uncaring about consequences. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Paddlepop said:

Children need to be taught by their parents how to interact with a dog. 

No!  Let’s not blame the kids for when a dog attacks.  If you have a dog that is near small children, make sure your dog is under control!  

I can’t stand dogs.  I have lost count of the number of times the kids have been knocked over by one when in a public place.  I was going for a walk and had one rip a big hole in my jeans.  I have been sitting on a public beach with no dogs off leash sign and been wrapped up in a dog leash.  And have stood in dog poo many more times than I would like.  My children feel somewhat the same as me, given they have been knocked over several times. I don’t know what I should be teaching them.  As they don’t like dogs they generally are not going up to one, but are standing behind me hiding. It’s not as if we go and play in a dog park or anywhere really with dogs off lead.

They have done a delta dog session at school that I suppose covered off on the approaching, but certainly did on what to do if a dog attacks you.  Which does not help with a child’s fear of dogs!

• Like 6

Children DO need to be taught how to interact with dogs. The number of 'cute' videos I've seen where the kids are pulling on ears or getting down where the dog's food is or whatever is concerning. It's cute for a video until the dog snaps and bites the kid. Kids need to be taught what the signs are of dogs(and cats) being irritated are, how to play with them etc. 

• Like 10
  • 100 3

1 hour ago, Prancer said:

No!  Let’s not blame the kids for when a dog attacks.  If you have a dog that is near small children, make sure your dog is under control!

I’m talking about when children are interacting with a dog eg patting it or playing with it. Firstly that they get the owner’s permission, then letting the dog sniff their hand before trying to touch them. Things like not putting their face up close to a dog, not approaching it while it’s eating, no tail pulling or ear pulling, respecting when the dog chooses to walk away from the interaction and not following it. 

• Like 7

Kiwi Bicycle
23 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

Children DO need to be taught how to interact with dogs. The number of 'cute' videos I've seen where the kids are pulling on ears or getting down where the dog's food is or whatever is concerning. It's cute for a video until the dog snaps and bites the kid. Kids need to be taught what the signs are of dogs(and cats) being irritated are, how to play with them etc. 

At both the daycare and the council kinder DS went to, they had an incursion with a team who brought in a dog and taught the kids how to safety interact with ut. A pack of info and stickers came home to us parents. 

So there's training setup out there regarding kids.

However, no training would of helped my sister who was bitten by the friend's dog when she was attending a birthday party when she was a child. She wasn't even interacting with the dog, she was picking a flower in the garden when the dog ran around the corner and bit the side of her face. 

The dog was obviously stressed by all the extra kids at their house and lashed out. But it was nothing my sister did to provoke it.

• Like 6
  • 100 1
  • Sad 5

Chocolate Addict

I don't think it has been mentioned but another bull arab dog involved in an attack. It attacked and killed a dachshund in Caloundra. 

The people walking the big dogs (the bull arab) were pet sitters, council can't do anything except hold the dog til the owners return from overseas.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sunshine-coast-pet-owners-horror-as-dachshund-is-mauled-to-death-on-walk/0065e0a0-ce0a-42b9-bb1b-207b8dd59550?OCID=Social-9NewsB

Edited by Chocolate Addict
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 7

Kiwi Bicycle
2 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

I don't think it has been mentioned but another bull arab dog involved in an attack. It attacked and killed a dachshund in Caloundra. 

The people walking the big dogs (the bull arab) were pet sitters, council can't do anything except hold the dog til the owners return from overseas.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sunshine-coast-pet-owners-horror-as-dachshund-is-mauled-to-death-on-walk/0065e0a0-ce0a-42b9-bb1b-207b8dd59550?OCID=Social-9NewsB

They probably couldn't get a kennel to take it while they were on holiday. Friends who had a German shepherd who is a rescue with sad circumstances,  had to bring the dog out for a meet and greet with a kenrnel's staff before they would allow her to stay there.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

Kiwi Bicycle

My cousin sends her two dogs daily to a farm doggy daycare, in which they get walked around the beach and farmland. The company takes photos/ videos and up loads them daily rather like a human daycare. They also offer boarding.

Not all kennels are small crates and a short daily walk. Some are pretty swish with what they do, but they do vet their charges so they can intermingle with other dogs and staff safely.

My DD pays $1500 a week for her dog's holiday kennel. He loves it there. They can afford it, if people can't then they need to think hard about how having a dog will interfere with their lives before they get one.

They are not toys.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2

Yeah I agree with @Yogaalaatesthat there should be restrictions on who can acquire a bull arab type dog, and specific training and conditions met prior to approval of ownership. All these bull cross dogs in shelters are completely unsuitable for most families. I cannot fathom why the dog in the story was a family pet in the first place.

I actually spotted someone walking a unmuzzled bull arab in our neighbourhood two days ago. I remember thinking that was iffy because there are loads of dachshunds about being walked locally. The dog was pulling hard on the leash and it was obvious that the man would struggle to hold it back if it chose to bolt or attack.

My daughter saw the same dog being walked as she walked home from school yesterday. She told me that the dog sniffed her hand as she and her friend walked past and that the owner them kicked his dog, hard, so that the animal yelped and whined in pain. DD was very upset about it because she hadn’t witnessed animal cruelty before.

And this is the problem, these dogs often end up with these kinds of owner, the “hard men” I think it was@Kadoodle mentioned above.

I feel really sorry for that dog but also concerned that the owner is walking about with an assault weapon of an animal, fully loaded by its owner’s behaviour.

• Like 4
  • 100 2
  • Crying 2
  • Angry 8

10 hours ago, Needaname said:

Or the dog runs up to a terrified child and all the dog owner says is "it's ok he/she's friendly". Also the entitlement of a lot of dog owners to let their dog off the lead in clearly marked on lead areas and then become abusive if asked to put the dog on a lead apparently the law does not apply to many dog owners.

Oh my god, this drives me insane. I should bloody hope you are confident of the friendliness of your dog if you’re letting it run around wild, even in an off-lead area. However, that doesn’t matter because people are genuinely afraid of dogs and a dog running at you is intimidating, no matter who you are. 
I have pretty much given up hope of my kid ever being ok with dogs. We make a bit of progress and then inevitably there will be a moment where a dog runs for him and it’s back to square one. And yet, even though my child is screaming as if he’s being murdered, the owner will just stand there saying ‘don’t worry, she’s friendly’

WTF, this is just braindead behaviour to me. 
I love dogs but it shits me that you can barely go anywhere now without potentially encountering dogs. Do you really have to bring your dog to the cafe, Bunnings, school dropoff, a playground?! 

• Like 3
  • 100 9

Advertisement