IGNORED

Dungeons and Dragons

little lion

little lion

My son is interested in D&D but is a beginner. I have browsed a few online stores but want some more intel before going instore. If anyone (or their child) plays, what kind of starter kit do you suggest? His 2025 school has a lunchtime club that he is keen to join. 

*cracks knuckles*

I'm married to a gamer and DD plays at school too.

How old is your son? I'm assuming he'll be in year 7 in 2025?

DD plays on her school device at HS, so you'd have to see how the school runs their game. 

Dh thinks her school is using the free version of D&D Beyond which would be handy to have anyway. 

He says the basics needed would be the Player's Handbook and a set of dice. 

The current version (of rules etc) is a 2014 version, and there is a new 2024 version coming out in the next few days, so if he's starting out next year, they might be using the new rules etc. 

Dh says it's probably not worthwhile buying the current 2014 version as most people will probably  be playing or switching to the 2024 version. 

There's no harm in getting the free D&D Beyond now though, he can get the basic 2024 rules to give him and idea of the game and how it works etc. 

Does he have friends who play already? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Lots of dice made with cool resin on Etsy. A friend ordered some and got more dice than he ordered for free. The seller sent some slight " seconds" ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nightmarish

If he is on the younger side there is a board game version of D&D called Adventure Begins that is like a super simplified, short version of a campaign. I would say it’s good to dip your feet in and get a feel for it without getting too invested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

little lion

Thank you, I’ve already learned so much from three posts! His birthday is in a month so I was thinking of buying some stuff. :) Yes year 7 next year. There is sometimes D&D at after school care now, that’s where he got a taste of it. I don’t know if that’s the Adventure Begins one maybe? 

My DD found her people in high school when she joined the kids playing D&D.  For some reason at her school it's not a school-endorsed hobby, so they had to run it all themselves.  They don't play anymore as they reduced the length of lunch breaks at the school, and you can't fit a game in anymore, but they still all hang out.  DD preferred being in a mixed-age group of kids, although is sad some of her friends are graduating this year, while she has 2 more years to go.  

She suggested you don't need much more than a cool set of dice, and maybe a character sheet.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Don't forget that according to some conservatives he'll also need a satanic bible and a jar of goat blood.

s-l225.jpg

Edited by Mantis
  • Haha 7

• 3 weeks later...
charli73

My DS started playing in primary school as one of the teachers played and introduced it to my DS and they had a little club (all 3-4 of them) each week and he also plays at the local library. He started HS this year and there’s a D&D lunchtime club which was one reason we chose it as he would meet other likeminded kids and he plays with older kids too. We started with a beginners set also and he’s also really getting into another game called Warhammer. 

Edited by charli73
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement