IGNORED

Herb garden/planters

MumtoLeo19

MumtoLeo19

Good Afternoon, 

I am going to get one of these stackable planters and make a herb garden from it.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips as I have never done this before.  Any particular soil I should get etc? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  PS of course I am getting a pink one :) 

PLS5 Set of 5 Strawberry Planters – Includes Mobile Tray

Seayork2002

if you are definitely going to buy this regardless ignore this but for the size there does not seem much room to grow things, there are stands where you can hang hanging baskets that look easier

but regardless you can get specific potting mix for different growing things these days I am not sure if the Yates guide has their website still going but they had great guides
  • Like 2

What types of herbs are you looking to grow?   I've always found basil and parsley easy, but coriander can be very temperamental.  It tends to bolt and go to seed very easily.  I also think you need to consider how much water different herbs require, so you can group them together over different levels.

• Like 1

Moomintroll

For soil just use a good quality potting mix. Then you'll need to fertilise a few times a year. I use soluble fertiliser or those slow release pellets.

Some herbs are long lived (perennial) and some are annual.

Perennial herbs which might work in that set up.include thyme, sage, oregano, chives.

Annual herbs which might do well include Parsley, basil, Thai basil, dill.

I wouldn't plant any mint as it could take over. I'd give it its own pot. Rosemary also would need more space than that pot. 

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

Chives are hard to kill, as is rosemary, thyme, mint and parsley. Just going from the herbs in my new house still living their best lives with little tending in my vege patch.

• Like 1

Advertisement