IGNORED

Where do you think future sin taxes will come from?

Mantis

5 hours ago, RynandStompy said:

I'm another that votes for packaging taxes. 

I would love to see supermarkets go back to having loose fresh fruit and veges for selection. The sheer volume of plastic wrapped and pre-packaging is insanity for households and for the businesses. All so they can save a few bucks, but it's the environment, and also councils and households who pay the price. 

Also make mining and energy companies stop avoiding paying tax.

Does your supermarket not have loose fruit and veg? As in you can only buy it already packaged? I don’t think I ever shopped at a place that has only packaged fruit and veg!

Kiwi Bicycle
4 hours ago, Jolly_F said:

Does your supermarket not have loose fruit and veg? As in you can only buy it already packaged? I don’t think I ever shopped at a place that has only packaged fruit and veg!

The only place I have seen more packaged fruit and vegetables than loose is Aldi and hence why I don't shop there.

Some fruit and vege require a bit of packaging. Apparently cucumbers  without their shrink plastic only last 5 days instead of 10, plus they bruise easily. The industry is working on compostible wraps and or edible coatings.

• Like 1

I never buy any fruit (except berries) or vegetable that is packaged, not a single thing. Some things may only last a few days on the shelves at the supermarket but I bring them home and refrigerate them properly. I had a salad for tea last night that was lettuce that was 10 days old, capsicums the same age, cucumber that was at least a week old and tomatoes that were bought greenish at the same time. The lettuce was in Tupperware, the capsicum and cucumber were in the crisper and the tomatoes were in a bowl on the sideboard. They need to stop packaging things that don't need to be, they never used to and nobody knew any different.

• Like 1

Has anyone else read Not the End of the World by Hannah Ritchie? It does an interesting job explaining when plastic packagings actually helps with food security. 

If you have a teen who is despairing about the state of the planet, the book might add some positivity to their lives. As would the Gapminder website and Factfulness by Hans Rosling.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/145624737-not-the-end-of-the-world

https://upgrader.gapminder.org/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34890015-factfulness

On 12/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, pelagic said:

It’s the most efficient way to feed everything unless you have great pastures.  Most cows and other meat animals (except maybe pigs?) in Australia are grass fed and only require grains if pastures are dried up. If I lived in the USA I’d have to accept grains to eat meat. But this isn’t really a problem because I do accept that grains are necessary (there’s no way we could be eating as much without them. They’re staples). I also accept that they are often used for fattening animals and we appear to be using them that way on ourselves too.

I can’t understand your argument. You accept grains as a health food that is necessary but also responsible for obesity? 

You would be fine in the USA, trust me. I lived there years and the healthy eating movement is far advanced to Australia. You have more choices in where you shop than 2 major supermarkets, and the supermarkets aren’t just clones of each other. There’s so much variety and accessibility to different ways of eating. It is also a lot cheaper to be choosy in what you eat, including organic grass-fed whatever animal you like. Except chickens as I’m pretty sure they’re grain-fed everywhere, even Australia.

Everyone makes their individual choices about the foods they eat, there’s only so much blame you can place on the food production. You can be very healthy and fit in the US just as easily as you can be unhealthy/obese in Australia. 

On 13/9/2024 at 7:02 AM, Kiwi Bicycle said:

The only place I have seen more packaged fruit and vegetables than loose is Aldi and hence why I don't shop there.

Some fruit and vege require a bit of packaging. Apparently cucumbers  without their shrink plastic only last 5 days instead of 10, plus they bruise easily. The industry is working on compostible wraps and or edible coatings.

Lebanese cucumbers cope fine so I buy them instead. 

Advertisement