IGNORED

Tobacco sales dropping - for all the wrong reasons

pelagic

Yeah I know the local tobacconist near where I used to live sell them for $10. My daughter used to buy them but has stopped smoking now. They do a roaring trade there and I know most of those places, which are everywhere, do the cheap ones.

I'm not surprised either. Even the legitimate sellers tend to either stock some illegal ones or will direct you where to find them.

The local cops don't care, they won't act until there have been a number of complaints - and who's going to complain about cheap smokes except for busybody's worrying about how other people live their lives?

• Like 2

I saw a TikTok last night of a lady who posted the price list from a servo. Alpine 25s for $77.... 🤯 No wonder. Nictotine is highly addictive and used as a coping strategy for some mental illnesses. No surprise the illegal trade is roaring.

• Like 2
  • Surprised 2

Dadwasathome
1 minute ago, Two-bit said:

I saw a TikTok last night of a lady who posted the price list from a servo. Alpine 25s for $77.... 🤯 No wonder. Nictotine is highly addictive and used as a coping strategy for some mental illnesses. No surprise the illegal trade is roaring.

Yes, there needs to be far more action to stop the illegal trade, and more action on replacements for those who need them.

• Like 2

Most people I know who smoke have been doing it illegally for years due to the cost. 

Raising prices doesn’t stop people, they find illegal ways, alternatives or their families go without. 

• Like 5
  • Crying 1

dianalynch

Totally agree it’s a case of over regulation…the price controls are at a level that incentivise illegal trade. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

I saw a guy on the ABC talking about how he pays $62 for a pack of cigarettes, smoking I think he said, 2 packs a day. He said he's glad he has no kids because he already goes without food to pay for them. He's tried to quit a few times and can't. He said he was eating noodles, but now he'll live off rice to pay for them. 

• Crying 1
  • Sad 2

Dadwasathome
8 hours ago, pelagic said:

It’s weird to think how you’re financially better off being addicted to illegal drugs. 

Nicotine replacement always have been, and remain, relatively inexpensive 

• Like 2

DD’s boyfriend used to smoke (he comes from a country where it’s ubiquitous) but gave up very quickly in Australia due to the price and the lack of social reinforcement.  He was young enough to do it.  It would be much harder for an older Mrs Mangel (or Dot Cotton for us British people!) type.

11 minutes ago, pelagic said:

@Dadwasathome Heroin replacements are much cheaper than nicotine replacements. 

You need a prescription for Heroin alternatives but not for patches.  Nicotine patches are way more accessible and are also available cheaper on prescription from a GP.

• Like 2

Saying nicotine replacement is inexpensive, and therefore should curb illegal tobacco sales, is like suggesting public transport should eliminate the need for car theft.

Sure, technically it’s a cost-effective option, it doesn't address the reasons why some people are still drawn to the cheaper, illegal alternatives.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Saying nicotine replacement is inexpensive, and therefore should curb illegal tobacco sales, is like suggesting public transport should eliminate the need for car theft.

Sure, technically it’s a cost-effective option, it doesn't address the reasons why some people are still drawn to the cheaper, illegal alternatives.

If this was in reference to my post I did not intend to imply this in my post. Addiction is an addiction, all of them are extremely hard to overcome no matter what resources are available.

4 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

If this was in reference to my post I did not intend to imply this in my post. Addiction is an addiction, all of them are extremely hard to overcome no matter what resources are available.

No, sorry I was responding to @Dadwasathome

• Like 1

Advertisement