IGNORED

Social media ban for children to be introduced in next 12 months

Darryl

Kiwi Bicycle
28 minutes ago, Bethlehem said:

The telegraph is being very careful to frame him as the good guy. It’s just jokes apparently. 

Who knew that actions have consequences? 

I like the fact he sold his guns.. well obviously if he sold them and handed over is license, he didn't really need them...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

So the Police are wrong for searching this guy's house for firearms due to his troll posts online calling trying to incite violence against minorities?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/have-i-broken-the-law-ugly-cop-clash/news-story/52767b523782faff688aff24a9f9470e

The literal definition of f*ck around and find out. 

• Like 3

Julie3Girls
1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

So the Police are wrong for searching this guy's house for firearms due to his troll posts online calling trying to incite violence against minorities?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/have-i-broken-the-law-ugly-cop-clash/news-story/52767b523782faff688aff24a9f9470e

IF .. if it was just “trolling” and jokes to get a rise, then my opinion is “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”

Deliberately offending and antagonising people … Hiding it under “just joking” … the likeliest thing is that he was expressing ideas that he did actually believe in, deep down, just knows that it’s not socially acceptable to state them. So make it a “just jokes” comment, and he’s all good? 

The fact that he had sold all the firearms (either a lie or I presume illegal?) makes me feel the search was justified.

As a general thing, pretty sure the cyber education my girls have had at school includes not putting stuff like that on the internet, anywhere, anytime. Photos or comments. That it can always be tracked back, and stupid comments can come back to haunt you later in life.

• Like 4

Kiwi Bicycle
17 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

The fact that he had sold all the firearms (either a lie or I presume illegal?) makes me feel the search was justified.

He had firearms. He had a licence. Whether he sold them ( allowed if he sold to a firearms dealer 2nd hand) or stashed them somewhere else, the Police didn't find them at his house.

He was pretty stupid. And imagine if he was trying to hide himself behind a VPN? And he truly was an incel or other terrorist type stirring the pot?

That's why there's a delicate balance of digital privacy and needing some sort of oversight on the net. 

• Like 3

This is why I actually support clementine ford when she identifies the abusive messages authors. I know they get all bent out of shape, but here’s the thing - your actions have consequences. You wouldn’t abuse her to her face without getting consequences, why is online different? 

• Like 4
  • 100 5

VictorineTheCatLover
14 minutes ago, Bethlehem said:

This is why I actually support clementine ford when she identifies the abusive messages authors. I know they get all bent out of shape, but here’s the thing - your actions have consequences. You wouldn’t abuse her to her face without getting consequences, why is online different? 

I'm not a fan of hers but absolutely agree 100% with publicly calling out and shaming those who do that to anyone. If you think that you can hide behind you little so called "online anonymity" then you are sadly mistaken and you WILL be found out and dealt with.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Well, well, well. So social media companies can make significant changes to their platforms if they want to. 

All users aged 13 to 17 are being transferred to a teen version of Instagram.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/teens/major-change-coming-to-instagram-with-teens-shifted-to-new-controlled-version/news-story/bcb874269b54313da8e55e1c52a1a0b9

• Like 3

Julie3Girls

So I just looked up instagram about the changes … 

- accounts automatically set to private, with most restrictive settings for content, which includes needing to accept followers

- messages restrictions, only people they follow can message them

- can only be tagged or mentioned by people that follow them

- offensive words and phrases filtered out in comments and DM requests

- time limit reminders after an hour (doesn’t kick them out, jsut a reminder)

- sleep mode muting notifications between 10pm and 7am

- strictest settings regarding sensitive content, with some content potentially hidden altogether even if shared by someone they follow.

These will be default settings, 16 and 17 yr olds can change them, under 16 will  need parent permission. Which mean setting up parent supervision on instrsgram

Parent supervision allows 

- can’t read the messages, but can see who your child has messaged in the past 7 days

- can set time limits, or block specific times completely 

- can see what topics your child is looking at.

- approval for changes to privacy setting.

Acknowledges that teens do lie about their age, and talks about doing more age verification (to try and catch out people who lie about age I guess), and working on technology to identify accounts that are belong to teens despite having an adult birthday but that is still being developed and will be trialled in the US first. Not sure what that would involve. 

Changes will start from today for new accounts, and existing teens will be transferred to teen accounts within the next 60 days in the US, UK, Canada and Australia.

Plans to bring Teen accounts to other Meta platforms next year … so that would be Facebook, not sure what else? 

• Like 2

Julie3Girls
8 minutes ago, onetrick said:

@Julie3Girls, I kind of love that. What a great start.

No, it's not perfect, but I don't think we need to aim for perfect with this. 

It’s definitely a great start … not banning them completely, which I think would just send the kids looking elsewhere. Giving them a good balance of keeping the social network, with more protection both from the platform and from parents. 

I was talking to my girls about it (20 and 18). They both said that most of that, they actually had on their accounts anyway, or had the ability to do (sleep mode on phone for example) 

I like not being able to be tagged, mentioned or messaged by people who don’t follow you - no nasty tags/messages with bullying.

• Like 5

Advertisement