IGNORED

Australian uni caps on international students

LifesGood

No idea but some of those unis have far too high a proportion of international students as a whole.  

• Like 3
  • 100 1

LemonMyrtle

Looks like they want unis to have around 30% international students. (Or thereabouts) Which leaves some universities with big increases, and others with big cuts.

but maybe they also looked at the entire cohort, rather than just the last year, which was a bumper catch up year due to COVID and china.

And the government also has their own agenda of a total reduction, and universities have their own influences, so that will be in there too. 

Edited by LemonMyrtle
  • Like 2

Julie3Girls

Pushing the international students out to the more regional areas, allowing areas outside of the capitals to benefit. 

• Like 4
  • 100 1

Kiwi Bicycle

And hopefully freeing up private rentals for families, rather than share houses in areas where there's a housing shortage. ( note I said private, campus dorms should be pushed first to international and inter state/ regional students).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

Pushing the international students out to the more regional areas, allowing areas outside of the capitals to benefit. 

This absolutely will not happen. The vast majority of international students, especially from China, want to study in Sydney or Melbourne. If they can’t, they’ll go a large capital city in another country, not regional Australia. This is related to cultural and social reasons, as well as perceived prestige, and is well documented by international education agents.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

And hopefully freeing up private rentals for families, rather than share houses in areas where there's a housing shortage. (note I said private, campus dorms should be pushed first to international and inter state/ regional students).

Stats from the Proerty CounciL of Australia shows that less than 4% of rentals are taken up by international students. I can’t seem to link but the Property Council published an article in April entitled “International students not to blame for housing crisis”

Ultimately, the outcome of these caps on international students will be to increase the fees paid by domestic students. Without international student fees underwriting the cost of domestic places, that will be inevitable. As a lifelong Labor voter I am equal parts appalled and gobsmacked by this whole situation.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

Kiwi Bicycle
Just now, Hubesy01 said:

Stats from the Proerty CounciL of Australia shows that less than 4% of rentals are taken up by international students. I can’t seem to link but the Property Council published an article in April entitled “International students not to blame for housing crisis”

Ultimately, the outcome of these caps on international students will be to increase the fees paid by domestic students. Without international student fees underwriting the cost of domestic places, that will be inevitable. As a lifelong Labor voter I am equal parts appalled and gobsmacked by this whole situation.

4 % is better than 0% to a family living in a tent....

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

4 % is better than 0% to a family living in a tent....

The Property Council article I can’t link to for some stupid reason explains what is to blame, but the Government has decided it’s far easier to pick what looks like an easy fix (but isn’t).

Edited by Hubesy01

Kiwi Bicycle
3 minutes ago, Hubesy01 said:

The Property Council article I can’t link to for some stupid reason explains what is to blame, but the Government has decided it’s far easier to pick what looks like an easy fix (but isn’t).

I know what it is to blame. I don't blame international students. But when you need people and houses now, rather than " we plan to build" you need to do multiple things to solve the situation. Like taxing higher Air BnBs in areas where housing is needed, taxing empty housing and and other measures to get housing stock available for people to rent or purchase. Multiple methods, even if small, still add up. Because those houses are not magically going to appear tomorrow.

• Like 3

Even if the international students are removed from taking any rental properties does not mean that these properties will be available to those who need them.  Rental prices are extraordinarily high and unfortunately way out of some family's budgets to afford.  So may not assist those living in tents.

A large amount of uni's have designated housing which is part of the uni or has been purchased for uni students to rent out.  Capping numbers may have a knock on effect and people working for uni's may loose their jobs.  So on top of there been no housing there will be more people out of jobs.

I do agree though that international students should have at least basic english for reading, writing and communicating when they attend uni.  The reason been that so many use AI or translation programs but have no actual idea what they are turning in as assessments so how can their degrees be genuinely earnt.

• Like 2
  • 100 2

Julie3Girls

Dd came across the language problem - studying primary/early childhood education, they had a group project this term. One group was having major problems - 4 students per group, the group had two Asian students who either couldn’t or wouldn’t speak English. They spoke to each other, even in the chat group, in their own language. Apparently the other students in the group raised it with the tutor, dd isn’t sure what the outcome was.

Daffy2016

In terms of how they calculated the cap for each uni:

Went back to 2019 to consider growth curve

Estimated around 30% of total load

Considered exemptions

*Did some magic*

*In no way considered marginal seats*

*More magic*

The End.

• Like 1
  • 100 1
  • Haha 3

Moomintroll
44 minutes ago, Pip said:

Even if the international students are removed from taking any rental properties does not mean that these properties will be available to those who need them.  Rental prices are extraordinarily high and unfortunately way out of some family's budgets to afford.  So may not assist those living in tents.

Every small reduction in demand for rentals,  and every small increase in supply of houses, reduces pressure on rents and leads to rents stabilising or even dropping. 

We're only a few percent off having enough homes but that small percentage has a big effect on prices.  

• 100 1

Advertisement