IGNORED

Elle Macpherson and breast cancer

Mantis

29 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

I love (most) old people, even the annoying ones. Not Trump obvs. 

You're lucky. I am so done with hearing endless stories of the past. "When I was a kid, every car journey we'd get a flat tire and we'd just take off the tire and patch it up and keep going. All you people have no idea how to do that now. That's all the things that are going to be lost when my generation dies and you won't know how to do it anymore." On and on across endless topics in a desperate cry for relevance. 

1) We don't need to know how to patch the crappy tyres that don't exist anymore and

2) The internet. 

Sigh. I get it but the old people in my life are teaching me how to completely ignore people while they're talking while they're unloading their 80 years of highly important trivia into my ears all at once. It's fine when it's just a relative's monologue, but not so good when I'm tuning out my boss the moment they start to sound similar. In fact, I'm now tuning out anyone when they start to sound similar. (It's mostly men. I'm tuning out men. Why do so many men just monologue so boringly as if it's interesting?)

One of my newest great fears is that when I get old I'll start telling anyone who'll listen about things like that time I had a bad work day and showed my boss a thing or two!

Edited by pelagic
  • Like 2

jojonbeanie

I think the need for relevance is cross-generational. Why else would I be reading so much about how younger generations are appalled I’m still wearing ankle socks to the gym? 

• Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, jojonbeanie said:

I think the need for relevance is cross-generational. Why else would I be reading so much about how younger generations are appalled I’m still wearing ankle socks to the gym? 

Is that why I was getting funny looks at the gym today!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, pelagic said:

You're lucky. I am so done with hearing endless stories of the past. "When I was a kid, every car journey we'd get a flat tire and we'd just take off the tire and patch it up and keep going. All you people have no idea how to do that now. That's all the things that are going to be lost when my generation dies and you won't know how to do it anymore." On and on across endless topics in a desperate cry for relevance. 

1) We don't need to know how to patch the crappy tyres that don't exist anymore and

2) The internet. 

Sigh. I get it but the old people in my life are teaching me how to completely ignore people while they're talking while they're unloading their 80 years of highly important trivia into my ears all at once. It's fine when it's just a relative's monologue, but not so good when I'm tuning out my boss the moment they start to sound similar. In fact, I'm now tuning out anyone when they start to sound similar. (It's mostly men. I'm tuning out men. Why do so many men just monologue so boringly as if it's interesting?)

One of my newest great fears is that when I get old I'll start telling anyone who'll listen about things like that time I had a bad work day and showed my boss a thing or two!

And when you get to tell them about your bad work day......they will also tune out.

It may be annoying to hear ad finitum about the old days....but in 20 years or so society will have changed so much that we are living in the old days now.

I get it from my kids now. I'm 64, the oldest is 40 and it's yet mum....the old days...though there are some things I'm better at than them IT wise

• Like 2
  • Care 1

Ilovethebeach

I couldn’t even watch. My mum had a tumor the size of orange removed from her bowel in 90. It had already spread to the lymph nodes & other organs. She fought for 2 years, chemo, radio, natural everything to see her kids grow up. She died in 94. It’s offensive and pretty unintelligent to advocate for ‘natural’ remedies 🤣

• Like 1
  • Care 9

19 hours ago, pelagic said:

2) The internet. 

Increasingly, it’s younger, right wing types who are likely to hark back the good old days.  I remember looking at old footage of London before WW2 on You Tube and enjoying it because my grand parents were young people living there back then!  But then I read the comments that say things like “Look - everyone was white and European, not like Londonistan today!” and “Look at how women dressed like true women back then and had lots of children!”  

• Like 2
  • Sick 1
  • Crying 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Iamferalz said:

younger, right wing types who are likely to hark back the good old days

It's pretty much the definition of young right types that they hark back to the good old days. As they assume they will be on top of the social pile and living the good life. 

• Like 9

On 14/9/2024 at 8:54 AM, LaFoom said:

It's pretty much the definition of young right types that they hark back to the good old days. As they assume they will be on top of the social pile and living the good life. 

So much this. They don’t even know all the bad stuff - one of the reasons we should not edit history to be more palatable. However my elderly relatives also edit this out. It’s always about how great things were or how it was hard but it made them tough. It’s never about how they still think they’re worth so little that they shouldn’t accept help from aged care and how hard that makes it for everyone around them. 

• Care 1
  • Crying 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, jojonbeanie said:

I don’t do gyms as I get my exercise working in our yard and garden, but out of interest, what sort of socks are expected to be worn at a gym?

25 minutes ago, Sincerely said:

I don’t do gyms as I get my exercise working in our yard and garden, but out of interest, what sort of socks are expected to be worn at a gym?

Crew or longer socks are the fashion as I have had well explained to me by my fashionista teen grandchildren. They don't even have to match.

They laugh at me in my ankle socks I wear around the house and I return fire by telling them they look ridiculous in their knee highs.

• Haha 2

purplekitty
8 hours ago, STBG 2 said:

Crew or longer socks are the fashion as I have had well explained to me by my fashionista teen grandchildren. They don't even have to match.

They laugh at me in my ankle socks I wear around the house and I return fire by telling them they look ridiculous in their knee highs.

Oh my, that reminds me of the 70s.

• 100 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

Oh my, that reminds me of the 70s.

They have a field day looking at photos of me in the 60s and 70s.😀

purplekitty
24 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

They have a field day looking at photos of me in the 60s and 70s.😀

I remember black hot pants,striped jumper and striped knee high socks on a school outing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

I remember black hot pants,striped jumper and striped knee high socks on a school outing.

Think Woodstock, that was me. :) Shopped at Surf Dive and Ski and The House of Merivale and Mr John.

• Love 1

jojonbeanie
13 hours ago, Sincerely said:

My gym sells grippy socks for Pilates. I noticed the other day these are no longer available in anklet form but all crew socks. It looks like only the older gym members like me wear any form of ankle sock. Anyone under 30 is definitely in crew territory. I’m not trading in my perfectly good ankle socks anytime soon. What a waste that would be. I’m hardly known for my gym fashion. Last night I wore a National Year of Reading tshirt from 2012. 

• Like 1

Okelydokely

I’ll try not to be graphic with this (and I acknowledge the conversation has moved on to other topics such as the farrrrshun of socks in gyms these days). I was trying to work out how to articulate how I feel about this whole thing when the thread first started, but I couldn’t quite reconcile my thoughts. 

I’ve nursed (sadly) well more than one person who opted for “natural remedies” to combat their breast cancer - many thought ONJ was an amazing poster child for keeping it au naturale but they didn’t realise she was able to also access the best of the best cutting edge medical therapies and that the natural stuff was complimentary to that. Now, I don’t think ONJ ever denied having medical treatment - in fact, her legacy is pretty phenomenal with her contribution to cancer research, but her advocacy for cannabis was often conflated with “natural therapies” (which was a side effect of a lack of general health literacy and the incorrect assumption held by many that cannabis was curative when it’s a symptom management tool) and I lost count of how many patients would bring up how well Olivia was doing on just cannabis, and how she was going to beat it. I think the media has a lot to answer for, because the image of wellness and cannabis was really the prevailing message, not all the incredible targeted therapies she would have likely had access to. And I'm not blaming ONJ at all, just the selective media uptake of her journey. 

Anyway, the upshot of that was more than a few really traumatic deaths (for the patient, their families and the nursing staff). The awful thing is, so much could have been done for just about every case if they had accepted medical therapies when diagnosed. 

I don’t know if Elle is to blame per se, but the way her disease has been portrayed in the book and the reported lack of intervention is another example of media stirring shit and preying on low health literacy levels. I don’t know if she actually wrote her own book or it was ghostwritten, but I guess either way; she approves of the narrative. Her grade of cancer was treated appropriately, with the appropriate type of surgical intervention and it’s not going to be the alternative therapies that keeps it at bay. It will likely help her state of mind and that has a positive flow on, but to link it to “curing” cancer is just so misleading and I have definitely seen this sort of thing lead to unnecessary death.

Also, bodily autonomy is essential. But so is education and access to factual and useful information to be able to exercise bodily autonomy fully. 

Edited by Okelydokely
  • Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Crying 2
  • Thanks 2

purplekitty

It is much harder to regulate dangerous,alternative medical treatment for cancer than you would think it should be.

These celebrity endorsements convince people to seek out these practitioners where they often are advised away from conventional treatment.

Tragic,heartbreaking outcomes result.

It is very difficult to get anything done about it no matter how many times they are reported.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

Okelydokely
15 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

It is much harder to regulate dangerous,alternative medical treatment for cancer than you would think it should be.

Agreed. I’ve even had to reeducate supposedly experienced cancer nurses who have come from other organisations and have spread non evidence based information. It’s pretty scary. 

• 100 1
  • Angry 1

14 hours ago, Okelydokely said:

Agreed. I’ve even had to reeducate supposedly experienced cancer nurses who have come from other organisations and have spread non evidence based information. It’s pretty scary. 

I have heard some awful advice given by people who have science based qualifications and should know better and I wonder if they've actually joined the profession to be able to infiltrate. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

• 100 1
  • Surprised 1

11 minutes ago, Crombek said:

The sheer number of nurses who smoke breaks my brain. Like - how????

True although very fortunately it seems it seems to not be as many as there used to be. Back in the day we all smoked, we could even smoke in the tea room *shudder. 

Up until about 1980 women in our antenatal ward smoked in their beds. We had to empty ashtrays.🤯

• Mind Blown 1

One thing I saw in a Netflix documentary was cancer patients being offered aromatherapy to try to get them to relax and possibly take less painkillers. The patients were free to refuse and it was not being offered instead of painkillers or any kind other kind of therapy or medication, but this is how I’d prefer “natural therapies” to be used. Of course, provided they don’t interfere with current medication as there’s some sort of strange assumption that they don’t to the point where people won’t tell doctors about what else they’re taking.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

Okelydokely
2 hours ago, Crombek said:

The sheer number of nurses who smoke breaks my brain. Like - how????

Yep. I absolutely loathe walking out the front door to the car park. I keep thinking to myself “I’ll be seeing you soon enough” even though smoking is only part of the picture for risk. The message it sends is just awful. In uniform. I just can’t. 

Advertisement