IGNORED

School shooting in the US

LunaFreya

LunaFreya

watch gun sales go through the roof, they always do after a high profile shooting 

• 100 2
  • Sad 1

Chocolate Addict

The father has been charged with four counts involuntary manslaughter, 2 of second degree murder and 8 counts of cruelty to children.

• Applause 3

purplekitty
3 hours ago, Meepy said:

I do not know how teachers go to school in the US.  Imagine knowing that this child has threatened to kill, yet you still have to teach them every day, knowing that the parent is not taking any responsibility or notice of everything they have been told. Same as the students - having to sit next to these people in class all day.
Their society is absolutely disgusting.  How they can see this as normal is despicable.

I always think about how hard it would be to drop your children at school each day.

One of my children is particularly sensitive and perceptive and she would have been terrified to go to school each day.

• Like 2
  • Crying 1
  • Sad 2

LunaFreya
9 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

One of my children is particularly sensitive and perceptive and she would have been terrified to go to school each day.

My DS would be too. He’s a sensitive boy :(

• Like 2

If you follow Ozzy Man on FB(he's hilarious) he posted a video of his reaction of Australia destroying all the guns after Port Arthur, all the American's were carrying on about how you never let your government take your weapons, how terrible it was for us as a nation to have to give up guns, blah blah.

Yet we're not afraid of sending our kids to school, we gave them up voluntarily(one guy said he got more back than he paid for his guns )and we don't have mass shootings here. They'll NEVER change, it's too ingrained in them as a society, and their constitution, even if it IS an amendment. 

• Like 2
  • 100 4
  • Crying 1

It’s shocking to me that adults would put their desire to be able to have guns above the right for children to feel safe at school. 
I’ve seen some really upsetting posts recently of young children (8/9 years old) saying they can’t have light up shoes or beads in their braids because it would give away their location if there was an active shooter. It’s atrocious that these children even know what an active shooter is. I don’t think that I have even ever spoken to my children about guns. 

• Like 1
  • Worried 2
  • Crying 3
  • Sad 7

There’s an article on news dot com about the shooters home life. Just devastating- he had it rough. It’s not an excuse for what he did. But it just goes to show there are no winners in this.

Rest In peace to the victims and their loved ones.

• Like 1
  • Crying 2

I'm sure most of these shooters don't come from loving nurturing homes, not really. The parents might think so, but no loving nurturing parent buys an underage child a gun, after law enforcement have flagged them as a risk, or refuses to get their kid help when they ask for it(the one whose parents were charged begged for help but parents did nothing).

• Like 3
  • 100 3

overlytired
9 hours ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

mind boggling that loads of American parents buy guns for their minor children for birthday and Christmas presents anyway, but to buy one just months after the FBI has knocked on the door about said minor 🤦‍♀️🤯

wtf

https://www.salon.com/2024/09/05/father-of-georgia-school-shooter-faces-charges-for-allowing-his-son-access-to-a/

The father of 14-year-old suspected mass shooter Colt Gray told investigators that he purchased the firearm used to kill at least four and injure nine more as a Christmas gift for his son in December 2023, a CNN reportalleges.

Per the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, 59-year-old Colin Gray was charged in connection to the Apalachee High School killing spree, with a source telling CNN that the weapon was purchased at a local gun store after law enforcement raised red flags.

Nothing celebrates the birth of Jesus quite like a device designed to kill living beings.

• Like 2

Purpleblaze

I follow a US influencer who talks a lot about the mental load. She was talking about how her kids school wants to ban mobile phones during class time. She thought with all the school shootings it was a no brainer that kids should have phones on them at all times so they can send a text or make a final phone call. A number of comments said that apparently having a phone on you is more dangerous as it could be a distraction during a school shooting. I can’t even..

• 100 1
  • Crying 3

Kiwi Bicycle
5 minutes ago, Purpleblaze said:

I follow a US influencer who talks a lot about the mental load. She was talking about how her kids school wants to ban mobile phones during class time. She thought with all the school shootings it was a no brainer that kids should have phones on them at all times so they can send a text or make a final phone call. A number of comments said that apparently having a phone on you is more dangerous as it could be a distraction during a school shooting. I can’t even..

Interesting about that. I just watched camera recording in a US school bus. The driver collapses at the wheel as the bus is moving. Apart from one boy, everyone else is looking at their cellphone. This young man rushes to the front, grabs the steering wheel and puts his foot on the brake pedal. Once he stops the bus, he has to yell for someone to call 911. The other kids yell back something and he replies " I don't care who, just call 911".

He was the only one without a cellphone and who responded to the situation.

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Crying 3

Julie3Girls
8 hours ago, purplekitty said:

I always think about how hard it would be to drop your children at school each day.

My friend who lives nearby was talking about how incredibly hard it was to put her daughter on the school bus the next day. Her 10yr old is talking about moving countries.

• Crying 2
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, Jenflea said:

If you follow Ozzy Man on FB(he's hilarious) he posted a video of his reaction of Australia destroying all the guns after Port Arthur, all the American's were carrying on about how you never let your government take your weapons, how terrible it was for us as a nation to have to give up guns, blah blah.

Yet we're not afraid of sending our kids to school, we gave them up voluntarily(one guy said he got more back than he paid for his guns)and we don't have mass shootings here. They'll NEVER change, it's too ingrained in them as a society, and their constitution, even if it IS an amendment. 

There are a couple of You Tube Americans who do reactions and they also did one to documentaries about our gun laws and the buy back. The looks of shock were amusing but these guys fully were supportive wishing they could have the same.

• Like 2

nom_de_plume
16 hours ago, Jenflea said:

Yet we're not afraid of sending our kids to school, we gave them up voluntarily(one guy said he got more back than he paid for his guns)and we don't have mass shootings here. They'll NEVER change, it's too ingrained in them as a society, and their constitution, even if it IS an amendment. 

The right to bear arms is indeed deeply imprinted on the American psyche and I agree it will never change. For a nation so obsessed with rights and freedoms I'll never understand at what point the right to own (largely unregulated) semi-automatic weapons trumps the right of children to an education in a safe environment.

I'm sure living in a state where concealed carry was legal contributed to my hate of going to the cinema. The thought that I was sitting in a dark room with people hiding guns on their person creeped me out. I just couldn't relax and enjoy a movie in that environment.

• Like 4

MerryMadigralMadge

Another school shooting, this time in Maryland, where a 15 and 16 yo had an argument in the school bathroom, and escalated to shots fired, and the 15 yo has died. 

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/police-respond-reported-incident-maryland-high-school.amp

More than 50% of gun deaths in the US are from suicide - and the overwhelming majority of those are male. All the machismo and protect my family etc, and yet they are leading the stats in who the actual victims are. 

Boys also make up the majority of gun death under 18 - whether by homicide or suicide. 

So pointless. 

• Angry 4
  • Sad 4

Seayork2002
3 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

The right to bear arms is indeed deeply imprinted on the American psyche and I agree it will never change. For a nation so obsessed with rights and freedoms I'll never understand at what point the right to own (largely unregulated) semi-automatic weapons trumps the right of children to an education in a safe environment.

I'm sure living in a state where concealed carry was legal contributed to my hate of going to the cinema. The thought that I was sitting in a dark room with people hiding guns on their person creeped me out. I just couldn't relax and enjoy a movie in that environment.

It's 'funny' how they pick and mix what bits of the constitution they are passionate about I am sure there are some bizarre wouldn't suit them to follow it ones that they ignore but they hold on to 'gimme a gun' one

• Like 1
  • 100 3

Lesley225
On 05/09/2024 at 1:03 PM, Chocolate Addict said:

That will never happen. Even it it did, you can always access guns if you really want to. Just look at the gang wars in Australia, plenty of guns out there illegally.

But young boys with mental problems do not have them at hand.  Criminals don't go to schools and spray everyone they see.

• Like 4

purplekitty
6 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

But young boys with mental problems do not have them at hand.  Criminals don't go to schools and spray everyone they see.

Not many AR-15s either which inflict maximum damage to the human body.

• Like 4

That was one of the reasons for the gun buy back, was to take out the semi automatic weapons, wasn't it?

NO ONE needs guns that shoot hundreds of rounds of bullets in seconds, no one. 

• Like 3
  • 100 2

magic_marker

Right to bear arms FFS.

What about the rights of children to have a childhood.

Put that in your Constitution.

• Like 4
  • 100 4

thewanted3rd
On 06/09/2024 at 11:17 AM, Prancer said:

Yes, you can source guns if you really want to. But it is an effort and you have to find the people.  I personally would have no idea where to go about sourcing a gun!  Those hell bent on getting one will.  But your average everyday person might not.  Which will hopefully stop an awful lot of kids finding their parent’s gun and using it.

Sourcing illegal guns in Australia is hard, and expensive. It is also the reason why our police force are so safe compared to the American police.

In one of the State police forces (I can only give the example I experienced) you do not draw your weapon unless you are almost sure you need to pull the trigger on another human, for the sake of another persons life. And that is ingrained. Is the person fleeing going to kill another person? No? then the use of deadly force is not used, you use other means at your disposal.

I don't think this is case in America. You just don't know who has a gun. In Australia, you know the innocent bystanders definitely don't have a gun, and are therefore no threat, and treated as victims. Where in America, everyone is suspected of having a gun, so everyone is a threat. I would hate to live or work like that.

• Like 2
  • 100 4

Gunshot wounds are the leading cause of child deaths in the USA.

Not illness, not car accidents.  Certainly not books and certainly not transgender people.

Every time there is a mass shooting NRA donations INCREASE!  It actually benefits them to have more mass shootings.

The majority of US citizens want greater gun control - but they just don't seem to be able to bring themselves to vote for the people who will achieve it. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 4

18 hours ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

Another school shooting, this time in Maryland, where a 15 and 16 yo had an argument in the school bathroom, and escalated to shots fired, and the 15 yo has died. 

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/police-respond-reported-incident-maryland-high-school.amp

More than 50% of gun deaths in the US are from suicide - and the overwhelming majority of those are male. All the machismo and protect my family etc, and yet they are leading the stats in who the actual victims are. 

Boys also make up the majority of gun death under 18 - whether by homicide or suicide. 

So pointless. 

I think having guns at hand lead to so many bad decisions. Getting into a heated fight with someone - pull a gun.  Feeling suicidal - pull a gun.

Whereas without a gun you might punch the person you are with or chose to overdose - both not as likely to kill you.  Men tend to be over represented in suicide as they choose more violent methods which are mire likely to be fatal.  If you have a gun at hand it is also an easy go to, rather than taking the time to think through how to do it, which may result in a change of heart.

• 100 3

LunaFreya
1 hour ago, Prancer said:

Whereas without a gun you might punch the person you are with or chose to overdose - both not as likely to kill you.

Or a knife, and knives you can run away from.

• Like 2

Advertisement