IGNORED

School shooting in the US

LunaFreya

MerryMadigralMadge

Moms Demand Actions Shannon Watt rapid firing off responses:

Child was 13 when he made threats - Georgia has no red flag law for gun possession, so couldn’t remove guns even if they wanted to. 

No minimum age for gun ownership in Georgia

The school had permanently stationed armed officers. 

image.thumb.png.2bfafde128d45b825ee76ea2c57251b3.png

• Like 10
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I think because it's multiple times he shot that makes it an adult crime. If he shot one person and then dropped the gun, yeah, that more a child. But to continue shooting and possibly reloading and/or using a second weapon, that's adult in thought and intentions.

No it's not. Brain development at 14 is not adult. A 14 year old can never be considered to be thinking in an adult way or have adult intentions. 

They may charge him as an adult to get a harsher punishment (are they a death penalty state???) but that's not the same thing as saying his cognition was adult. 

Doli incapax in Australia is the principle that a child under 14 lacks the capacity to be criminally responsible for their acts.  Between 10 and 14 it must be shown that they knew what they were doing was wrong and the consequences of their actions.

However in the US, it varies from state to state, as everything does over there. As a 14 year old that has committed mass murder, he would be usually tried as an adult ( probably would be here as well).  Hard time convincing that he or the parents didn’t know the consequences, given he was spoken to as a 13 year old about threats.

imagine the terror of those children, going to school with someone who was spoken to about threats to kill at their school, attending school with him, then him finally doing it.  That is psychologically terrifying.

• 100 2
  • Crying 2
  • Sad 1

seemingly

I can't imagine. Killing people is abhorrent. I think having children really made me aware of life and the precious things in life. I just couldn't imagine.

• Like 2

I have an American friend who has said she will never move back now she has a child.  Shootings at schools were the main reason, but Trump sealed the deal. 

• Like 3
  • 100 1

The parents of the Michigan school shooter were sentenced to 10 years imprisonment earlier this year. Their son is serving life.

Lots of blaming the school for failing to point out their son’s mental health issues.

But the parents of the slain kids had strong words in their victim impact statements.

“The blood of our children is on your hands, too.”

And: ”While you were purchasing a gun for your son and leaving it unlocked, I was helping her finish her college essays.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/09/michigan-school-shooters-parents-sentenced-to-10-years-00151367

• Crying 5

The father of the teen suspected in the Georgia school shooting has been arrested, the Georgia bureau of investigation has said.

He is charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children, the Georgia bureau said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/sep/05/georgia-school-shooting-father-arrested

• Like 4

purplekitty
7 minutes ago, Darryl said:

More than a year ago the alleged shooter was interviewed by Georgia policeafter they received tips about online posts threatening a school shooting. Police did not have enough probable cause to arrest him then, according to the Georgia bureau of investigation.

So many people must have dropped the ball.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

That will never happen. Even it it did, you can always access guns if you really want to. Just look at the gang wars in Australia, plenty of guns out there illegally.

They absolutely need to change the gun laws and have a gun amnesty etc.. but those with the guns are hell bent on their amendment rights there is no way they will give them up without a fight.

Yes, you can source guns if you really want to. But it is an effort and you have to find the people.  I personally would have no idea where to go about sourcing a gun!  Those hell bent on getting one will.  But your average everyday person might not.  Which will hopefully stop an awful lot of kids finding their parent’s gun and using it.

• Like 6
  • 100 1

32 minutes ago, Darryl said:

There's a link in there to another article:

It emerged on Thursday that in 2022 local police had removed several weapons from a house in Jackson county from which the Gray family had been evicted, including a black AR-15 rifle of the sort used in the shooting.

• Angry 4

magic_marker

A parent put a gun in the hands of their 14 year old son.

I have no other words at the moment.

• Like 2
  • 100 3

Kiwi Bicycle
2 minutes ago, Prancer said:

Yes, you can source guns if you really want to. But it is an effort and you have to find the people.  I personally would have no idea where to go about sourcing a gun!  Those hell bent on getting one will.  But your average everyday person might not.  Which will hopefully stop an awful lot of kids finding their parent’s gun and using it.

This totally. Plus the amount of guns and gun types available via illegal channels would limited. Yes, you probably get a shot gun or a 9mm rifle that has been stolen from a farmer using it for pest control easy, but the likelihood of getting an M16 or AK 47 is pretty rare.

• Like 2

Seayork2002
6 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

This totally. Plus the amount of guns and gun types available via illegal channels would limited. Yes, you probably get a shot gun or a 9mm rifle that has been stolen from a farmer using it for pest control easy, but the likelihood of getting an M16 or AK 47 is pretty rare.

it was a while ago now but when I did forensic work experience it was amazing the volume and types of guns confiscated by the police and a lot did not look like guns it was truly bizzare

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seayork2002 said:

it was a while ago now but when I did forensic work experience it was amazing the volume and types of guns confiscated by the police and a lot did not look like guns it was truly bizzare

Yep I've seen pictures of homemade (shot)guns before and it's surprising just how easy they are to make from things you can buy at bunnings.  They're not much to look at, but they work in a pinch.  Cops seem to be confiscating them in my town every month - and that's just what is reported.

• Crying 1

I remember when I was really little, looking at my pop’s gun cabinet.  I don’t even think it was locked.  We were just told not to touch.  Their long term neighbour ended up getting dementia and had an episode resulting in him waving a shot gun around and I am not sure if he was threatening to shoot himself or my pop.  My pop intervened and it was all fine, but he could have been shot.  So hard to imagine these situations now given the level of gun control in the country.  Stuff can still happen, but it’s certainly harder.

LifesGood

How many of the families and teachers of that school voted for the Republican representative of that district? Why is cognitive dissonance so prevalent in the US?

• Like 5
  • 100 2

I do not know how teachers go to school in the US.  Imagine knowing that this child has threatened to kill, yet you still have to teach them every day, knowing that the parent is not taking any responsibility or notice of everything they have been told. Same as the students - having to sit next to these people in class all day.
Their society is absolutely disgusting.  How they can see this as normal is despicable.

• Like 6
  • 100 2
  • Crying 1

Seayork2002
5 minutes ago, Meepy said:

I do not know how teachers go to school in the US.  Imagine knowing that this child has threatened to kill, yet you still have to teach them every day, knowing that the parent is not taking any responsibility or notice of everything they have been told. Same as the students - having to sit next to these people in class all day.
Their society is absolutely disgusting.  How they can see this as normal is despicable.

I went to school in the US a bt back in the 1980s and apart from the hand on the heart with the anthem thing everything else felt normal, same when my siblings went there in the early 90's for a bit although felt a little more odd

what crossed it over to insanity for me as early 2000s (not long after Sept 11 I think) was watching a short 5 mins news thing and everyone seemed happy on it, which I thought was terribly sad as it was was about happy smiley 5 year old or so kids being fitted for their new bullet proof backpacks that did it for me from that  point on
  • Like 1
  • Crying 1
  • Sad 2

MerryMadigralMadge

mind boggling that loads of American parents buy guns for their minor children for birthday and Christmas presents anyway, but to buy one just months after the FBI has knocked on the door about said minor 🤦‍♀️🤯

wtf

https://www.salon.com/2024/09/05/father-of-georgia-school-shooter-faces-charges-for-allowing-his-son-access-to-a/

The father of 14-year-old suspected mass shooter Colt Gray told investigators that he purchased the firearm used to kill at least four and injure nine more as a Christmas gift for his son in December 2023, a CNN reportalleges.

Per the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, 59-year-old Colin Gray was charged in connection to the Apalachee High School killing spree, with a source telling CNN that the weapon was purchased at a local gun store after law enforcement raised red flags.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Angry 5

And the username from the Discord site, which was how he was bought to police attention the year prior, was (allegedly) in Russian but translated to “Lanza”. This is the name of the Sandy Hook perpetrator. 

• Like 1
  • Surprised 3
  • Sad 1

Chocolate Addict

I have never understood why ANYONE needs a semi automatic/automatic gun. Pistol, sure, I don't think they should be allowed to carry but I understand home protection (even though most people end up not being able to it or it is used on themselves) but who needs an automatic machine gun? No one, unless you are in a war I guess.

Also, not necessarily in this case but all these shootings/mass shootings , what are the people who carry doing? Why are they not shooting back? Because they are all show I am guessing, most have probably never even fired a gun.

Even if they banned or did a recall amnesty just for semi/auto guns I think it would make a massive difference.

• Like 4

Advertisement