IGNORED

School shooting in the US

LunaFreya

I read the headline and thought - gee, that’s the first one in a while, then realised it’s because they’ve been on their summer break. 

Not much to say as nothing ever changes. So sad for all those involved, and those who want change but are against so much opposition.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Seayork2002

America the land of the free? excpet if you do not want to be a victim of a gun crime

The majority of Americans support gun control legislation. Unfortunately, the majority of elected officials (especially REPUBLICANS) do not. I don't see this issue getting any better as long as Republicans hold so much power in state legislatures and Congress. It's really tragic. 

• Like 2
  • 100 4

The frustrating thing is that I do think that equal if not a majority of US citizens want better gun control, but … those who don’t are a mix of vocal, wealthy and powerful.

Just another reason why this election is so important, at all levels of government.

As an aside, this shooter is 14 …. 14!!! I have a 14 year old DS and it just boggles my mind what has gone wrong for this 14 yo to carry out a school shooting (the motivation and also the gun access). I shouldn’t, as he has murdered people, but the adult me feels a bit sad for the child he was before becoming the monster who did a school shooter.

• Like 2
  • 100 5
  • Crying 1

Julie3Girls

They are saying he is going to be tried as an adult.  I’m torn about it, because at 14, he is still such a child, and I can’t imagine it, but he killed people, so what can you do …. I just hope they are going after whoever gave him access to a gun as well.

I have a friend who lives in the US not far away, she shared a post from someone trying to locate a student at the school, he is autistic and they thought he had wandered away during the evacuation, with an update that he is one of the deceased … I cannot imagine what the family is going through. 

• Crying 13
  • Sad 1

Seayork2002
26 minutes ago, Sass78 said:

The majority of Americans support gun control legislation. Unfortunately, the majority of elected officials (especially REPUBLICANS) do not. I don't see this issue getting any better as long as Republicans hold so much power in state legislatures and Congress. It's really tragic. 

They just need to get rid of the guns

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

Someone besides this child needs to be held responsible.

Were the guns secured at home adequately?

How did he obtain them?

Adults need to suffer immediate consequences.That would be a start.

There is precedent for  this:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/michigan-school-shooters-parents-seek-a-lesser-punishment-for-role-in-not-preventing-attack

• Like 3
  • 100 1

VictorineTheCatLover

Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers.

On another note...THIS IS A CHILD!!!! On what planet is it ok to charge and treat him as an adult??!! Despite their abhorrent gun culture I am sure there will be laws around the safe keeping of firearms which the ADULTS are required to abide by. Charge the parents because they sure as shit broke the law!

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle
1 hour ago, Julie3Girls said:

They are saying he is going to be tried as an adult.  I’m torn about it, because at 14, he is still such a child, and I can’t imagine it, but he killed people, so what can you do …. I just hope they are going after whoever gave him access to a gun as well.

I think because it's multiple times he shot that makes it an adult crime. If he shot one person and then dropped the gun, yeah, that more a child. But to continue shooting and possibly reloading and/or using a second weapon, that's adult in thought and intentions.

I heard this on the radio today.  I asked my 15yo how many more school shootings needed to happen before they would do something about gun control.  He reckoned nothing will ever change.  

I imagine pretty much every single parent must be so worried that they are sending their kids to school with a constant worry they will be shot.  On first thought, you think they would all be for gun control.  But then how many would own guns themselves?  I assume these shooter kids get guns from their parents.  

• Like 2

purplekitty
23 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I think because it's multiple times he shot that makes it an adult crime. If he shot one person and then dropped the gun, yeah, that more a child. But to continue shooting and possibly reloading and/or using a second weapon, that's adult in thought and intentions.

It’s just the typical US ‘tough on crime’ BS.

Let’s be seen to be doing something instead of dealing with real solutions to a problem.

Thoughts and prayers.

• Like 7

purplekitty
2 minutes ago, egg said:

Quick - better ban some more books!

Blame a minority or take away womens’ rights.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Seayork2002

I do wonder what charges can be brought on their parents, I am speaking generally but it is not as simple (depending on the gun) to pick up one and shoot without a lot of practise and the throwback can be intense

• Like 2

MerryMadigralMadge

That school is in the district represented by Mike Collins GOP, which he won in a 65-35 result. 

this was his campaign ad - they just keep voting for their own demise. 

• 100 1
  • Sick 7
  • Angry 2

MerryMadigralMadge

The head bow at the end, to say grace….hypocrisy Christianity, on show. 

• Like 1
  • 100 4

Kiwi Bicycle

Well there's more than just the parents to take blame now. He was known and questioned about possible threats last year. But authorities took his and his father's word that they were false.

The suspect was questioned last year by law enforcement last year, along with his father, after authorities received “anonymous tips about online threats to commit a school shooting”, according to FBI Atlanta and the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

At the time, the suspect denied making the threats online and his father made assurances that his son did not have access to weapons that were stored inside the house.

Authorities are investigating how the suspect managed to get the weapon into the school today.

• Crying 2
  • Angry 6

Chocolate Addict
3 hours ago, Seayork2002 said:

They just need to get rid of the guns

That will never happen. Even it it did, you can always access guns if you really want to. Just look at the gang wars in Australia, plenty of guns out there illegally.

They absolutely need to change the gun laws and have a gun amnesty etc.. but those with the guns are hell bent on their amendment rights there is no way they will give them up without a fight.

• 100 2

I say this often, but I'm on another forum that came from a long ceased published magazine that we then made into our own forum, similar to EB. E-known these beautiful people since we were teenagers, about half of us have kids and it breaks my heart to see threads about what they think of when looking at schools. Bulletproof windows, no classroom doors that lead outside, rooms to hide in, security gates, metal detectors. Most of the kids have bulletproof backpacks. I'd say all the school aged parents on there have had messages from their kid's school at some point about a gun threat being made.
There are things I never have to think about in my fortunate little Australian world and I wish they didn't have to either.

• Like 6
  • 100 3
  • Crying 4

It’s very sad, and yet again I had a conversation with DD this morning about how lucky she is to be Australian.

I was just on the DM website and a classmate was saying how the shooter just got up and left class like he normally did, and cue comments about how is this acceptable (to have kids roaming without bathroom passes etc). Which actually reminded me of the recent eb thread which touched on absconding from class. It’s insane that a lone kid wandering school halls is potentially a threat.

I wonder if more parents of shooters were prosecuted for enabling the crime would we see pressure exerted on the real problem: the gun laws. But I’m not at all hopeful that it would. I’ve said on here before that if Sandyhook didn’t change hearts and minds, I struggle to think what would.

The little panel of students and teachers (including a Sandyhook teacher) who spoke at the Democrats’ National Convention were the most sobering and affecting speeches of all, I really thought. But it never seems to make a difference because of the obsession with possessing weapons.

Very sad for those kids and their communities.

• Like 7

A friend of DD's moved to the US for her parent's work a few months ago. They started the school year this week again.

I don't think I could move to the US and send my kid off to school there. i just couldn't. No job is worth risking my kid's life every day, just trying to get an education. 

• Like 4
  • 100 6

Kiwi Bicycle
13 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

A friend of DD's moved to the US for her parent's work a few months ago. They started the school year this week again.

I don't think I could move to the US and send my kid off to school there. i just couldn't. No job is worth risking my kid's life every day, just trying to get an education. 

A mum at DS's school has done exactly this. Once her oldest hit school age, she and her husband left their high paying jobs and came back to Australia.

She was in security consultation-as in schools and businesses.

• Like 4

Advertisement