IGNORED

What's a (unusual/off the beaten track) place you'd like to travel to?

Zeppelina

Kiwi Bicycle

A friend grew up on Norfolk Island ( met him in Singapore). He says its fabulous and a totally overlooked part of Australia. I have also read travel reviews which seem to back up what he says.

My neighbour went early this year and I admit her FB photos were stunning.

Anne Bonny
2 hours ago, Bornagirl said:

I wanted to go to one of them, too, when we went to Ireland, but my husband was still (understandably) concerned about his record of sea-sickness, so I said we should go halves, and I get my way with one or the other.   (We did Skellig Michael - and his sea sickness had gone.)

My (presumably convict) relatives on Dad's side were from County Clare.  Mentioned this in another thread. We went to the pub with the family name, bloke running it now still with the name, then we forgot to pay, we'd had such a long, interesting conversation with him.  He ran after us in the carpark with a huge grin on his face saying 'now I know we're related - you forgot to pay'.

Have you seen 'The Banshees of Inisherin'?

Not as yet. It didn't get a very long run in cinemas up here and I missed it after getting very excited seeing the trailer when we went to see Women Talking. My brother saw it and told me he didn't really "get it" then when I explained it was a metaphor for The Troubles was like "Why did no one tell me this before I went, it would have made a lot more sense"

• Like 2

I definitely want to go to Komodo and the Faroe Islands. Both look wonderful. Any of those North Sea islands intrigue me. In Iceland I learnt there is really no better landscape than one without many trees. 

• Like 2

MerryMadigralMadge

There’s an Australian woman I follow on Instagram who is doing the big walks around the world, in her 70’s. Her trip to the Faroe Islands was stunning. 

she’s about to do the Via Podiensis walk, age 72 - something to aim towards. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Chocolate Addict

Someone mentioned Mauritius , I have been, a long time ago and can confirm it is beautiful and the people are lovely. Although I hate tropical islands it is quite likely I will go back. My best friend is a celebrity there. :)

I would like to go to Iceland. Maybe if it wasn't so crazy expensive I would like to fly over Antarctica. :)

• Like 1

Less a place than an experience. Orcas and the Northern Lights. So anywhere between Scotland and Scandinavia. There’s an orca pod up there which are genetically distinct.

Can confirm that puffins are adorable and Skellig Michael profoundly amazing, that monks could exist in such a remote and hostile environment (they had to bring their own soil!) enduring great Atlantic storms.

The Blasket Islands are another interesting place, all the people left for the mainland in the 1960s and their houses are preserved. It’s the only place I’ve ever seen scores of seals surfing in on the tide 😃

I find deserted places fascinating, like quarantine stations and valleys flooded for dams. There’s something eerie and time-printed about it.

• Like 2

Bornagirl
3 minutes ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Someone mentioned Mauritius , I have been, a long time ago and can confirm it is beautiful and the people are lovely. Although I hate tropical islands it is quite likely I will go back. My best friend is a celebrity there. :)

I would like to go to Iceland. Maybe if it wasn't so crazy expensive I would like to fly over Antarctica. :)

I'd love to see Antarctica, too, but yes, crazy expensive, and I'm influenced by environmental opinions on people visiting.

My husband 'wintered over' at Mawson in the early 80s, and we have pics of the penguins just hanging around the humans there, zero bother.

IMG_7227.jpeg

• Love 9

Bornagirl
38 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

Can confirm that puffins are adorable and Skellig Michael profoundly amazing, that monks could exist in such a remote and hostile environment (they had to bring their own soil!) enduring great Atlantic storms.

We were incredibly fortunate that our first ten days in Ireland were gloriously warm (they called it a heatwave, lol), and it was like that when we went to Skellig Michael.  The next day the weather turned and all of the trips for a full week were cancelled. By then we were up at the Cliffs of Moher, and the weather was appropriately foul.  As we got to our car the bloke in the next spot, just getting out, muttered to us 'this had better be worth it!'.

I can only imagine what it would have been like on Skellig Michael for the monks during that sort of weather.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Quisby said:

Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands. Maybe I can squeeze it in as part of the 2026 Scotland trip I'm toying with.

I was always fascinated by Jersey because of the zoo/Gerald Durrell, turns out my 4th great grandfather went to Jersey and established an incredible garden which I now also want to see. I have a story living in my head which involves the garden but I would like to see it in person first lol.

I have always wanted to go to a bunch of tiny remote island places - Comoros, St Helena, Pitcairn Island, Rapa Nui (Easter Island). Too much Thor Heyerdahl in my formative years I fear.

I would like to go to Mustang in Nepal. 

On the island theme again, not really off-the-beaten track as such just a long way from Perth I would like to go to Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland, particularly to St Pierre and Miquelon. The Shetland Islands and the Isle of Mull in Scotland - Treshnish Islands as I have some ancestors from there.

Again not off the beaten track because Black Forest but Hinterzarten is a tiny wee village up in the Alps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterzarten And also Pertisau in the Austrian Tyrol because of the Chalet School 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Bornagirl said:

We were incredibly fortunate that our first ten days in Ireland were gloriously warm (they called it a heatwave, lol), and it was like that when we went to Skellig Michael.  The next day the weather turned and all of the trips for a full week were cancelled. By then we were up at the Cliffs of Moher, and the weather was appropriately foul.  As we got to our car the bloke in the next spot, just getting out, muttered to us 'this had better be worth it!'.

I can only imagine what it would have been like on Skellig Michael for the monks during that sort of weather.

Oh I hope you got to see the great height of the Cliffs of Moher. The visibility around the coasts goes to pot in heavy rain.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle
21 hours ago, Quisby said:

Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands. Maybe I can squeeze it in as part of the 2026 Scotland trip I'm toying with.

I grew up watching Bergerac the TV series.

Bornagirl
31 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

Oh I hope you got to see the great height of the Cliffs of Moher. The visibility around the coasts goes to pot in heavy rain.

Yes, we did, ta.  Visibility was fine, temp was yuck, wind was up, rain was at times horizontal, but visibility in between was fine.

I was rather glad that my husband had chosen Skellig Michael over the Aran islands (which had originally been my preference).

• Like 1

The Catlins.  Very south east coast of NZ. Bush. Beach. Waterfalls. Penguins. Seals.

If you are looking for any of

A) fancy accommodation 

B) guaranteed good weather

C) reliable network coverage 

D) guaranteed/reliable supply of every food you like

E) other people

Do not look in the Catlins. 

If you are looking for quiet, rugged exposure to nature in bite sized pieces (half an hour or less to walk to so many stunning waterfalls), crashing waves, stunning views, then this is where to look.

Telling you because the family holiday home is now being sold so I guess I don't need to keep "NZ's best kept secret" anymore.

• Like 4

GrannySmith

Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and any remote islands. I love off the beaten track and abandoned places.

We did a walk at Lake Toya in Japan that took you past the abandoned buildings, and roads after a volcanic eruption in 2000, it was really interesting. 

• Like 1

I like to go and see animals in the wild.  Have been to Komodo and the dragons were amazing.  I now want to see puffins.

• Like 2

Bornagirl
22 minutes ago, Meepy said:

I like to go and see animals in the wild.  Have been to Komodo and the dragons were amazing.  I now want to see puffins.

Put Kruger on your bucket list.   The most incredible experience.

Not sure I could ever visit caged animals again, apart from sanctuaries. 

• Like 1

My dream is to go to Green Gables. Prince Edward Island Canada. 

I’ve been a fan of Anne of Green Gables since I was a child as was my mum.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Advertisement