IGNORED

Elon Musk

Yogaalaates

Ernegirl

I hate all the satellites among our constellations. It feels like sacrilege.

• Like 8

Kiwi Bicycle
4 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Do these baby mama's find him attractive or like the idea of the hefty child support?

Some he has acted as " sperm donors" for ( with Shivon Zillis from Neuralink), and so he acknowledges he's the father, but I wonder if he has some agreement signed that he doesn't pay any child support to them. 

I suspect it's not looks, but " IQ" they are wanting.

• Sick 2

LifesGood
8 hours ago, Greenbean said:

I think he has *some* visionary ideas and ambitions. I also think he's loony. I tipped him into the loony scale after he made the comments about the diver who rescued the Thai kids. I don't follow X or twitter so don't see all his crazy comments but not shocked to hear of any of them after that.

But if I had to choose my "least worst" billionaire between Elon and Rupert Murdoch I'd choose Elon. But that's only if I had to choose. 

That was the same point I realised what a knob he he is.

As to your 'least worst' choice there , that's like one of those 'if I had one bullet and was in a room with them' questions. I'd shoot Elon because Rupert has already done most of his damage. Or myself to get away from both of them.

Romeo Void
10 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Thats sad if it turns out to be true. But Neuralink is still pretty amazing, which was my point. 

It would be nice if the people we hate or dislike, and for often valid reasons too, are also incompetent or even just average but its not how it works.

So what I'm hearing is that he's awful, but we'll hold our noses and tolerate it because we like what he does.  This in stark contrast to JKR who is also awful but we're not interested in anything she does anymore.  

Romeo Void
8 hours ago, Greenbean said:

But if I had to choose my "least worst" billionaire between Elon and Rupert Murdoch I'd choose Elon. But that's only if I had to choose. 

I actually think he's the most dangerous.  He's got some pretty wild ideas and doesn't give a fuck about anything standing in his way. Can you imagine if one of his space ideas comes up against a little bit of science that says 'don't do that, it's dangerous for the planet' and he won't be stopped?   At least Rupert sticks to earth level fuckery.

• Like 3
  • 100 4

Romeo Void

When I heard about Elon having a trans child so much clicked into place in my head.  The purchase of Twitter always seemed such an odd choice, but it being the home of 'wokeness' and Elon still smarting from his child going against his wishes,  I can completely see how he could have swung the blame onto the source of wokeness. Twitter. He was angry and decided he was going to take it over and bend it to his will.

• Like 2

MaryanneK
8 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

So what I'm hearing is that he's awful, but we'll hold our noses and tolerate it because we like what he does.  This in stark contrast to JKR who is also awful but we're not interested in anything she does anymore.  

He's much much more awful. She's taken a controversial view about a single issue, albeit a view that many people share. Musk was to sperm-seed a new colony on the moon!! He promotes the most awful scum on twitter, has actively promoted hatred towards his own trans kid (JKR doesn't even come close to that, she's said she actively supports and respects the rights of trans people) and thinks that because he's rich he should have the right to have a say in almost anything, from cave rescue to government policy. He's a psycho.

• Like 6

WaitForMe
8 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

Nah thats not what I mean, I'm not suggesting anyone should hold their nose. I was talking more about the nuances and complexity of people but I realise now this isn't the thread for that. 

Hasn't anyone just absolutely hated someone at work and just desperately wanted them to suck but they are actually really good at their job.

MaryanneK
10 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

I actually think he's the most dangerous.  He's got some pretty wild ideas and doesn't give a fuck about anything standing in his way. Can you imagine if one of his space ideas comes up against a little bit of science that says 'don't do that, it's dangerous for the planet' and he won't be stopped?   At least Rupert sticks to earth level fuckery.

Laughed so much at this 'earth level fuckery" - hilarious. And what a depressing low bar, like oh at least trump is only fucking up the planet not the whole universe 

• Like 3

LifesGood

Slightly off topic:

On EVs, we have decided to hold off buying one (any brand, but it would never be a Tesla) for a while yet as they are currently depreciating much faster than hybrids and ICEs due to the rapid introduction of new brands and models, plus the massive improvements to the technology including batteries. A new EV purchased in 2 years time will be vastly superior to the ones on the market today, also cheaper to buy and won't lose value as fast. Our next car purchase will most likely be a plug-in hybrid.

<Resume Elon-bashing now>

• Like 2

Romeo Void
7 minutes ago, MaryanneK said:

Laughed so much at this 'earth level fuckery" - hilarious. And what a depressing low bar, like oh at least trump is only fucking up the planet not the whole universe 

We've all read too many scary science fiction books that seemed batshit crazy that turned out to be true to ignore the shit Elon gets up too.  There's no one thing I can point a finger at and say 'that, that is dangerous' but when you've got a Space Cowboy launching fucking CARS into space for shits and giggles 😳.  He's so far ahead of the game technology and ideas wise than the entire world,  there is literally no one to stop him.  It bothers me that most of the discussion around him is just 'oh he's a bit crazy' but ultimately he's seen as benign.  To me he is potentially the most dangerous person on the planet at this minute.  He is a morally aberrant man with almost unlimited resources, and behaviors and ideas that are at a high school boy level.

• Like 8

Greenbean
52 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

That was the same point I realised what a knob he he is.

As to your 'least worst' choice there , that's like one of those 'if I had one bullet and was in a room with them' questions. I'd shoot Elon because Rupert has already done most of his damage. Or myself to get away from both of them.

Yes, I didn't wish this to come across as a compliment that "at least he's better than Murdoch". It's more that "I think he's as bad as Murdoch". The smidge better is only pedantic because I like *some* of his tech ideas

• 100 1

Romeo Void

The impact of rolling out a technology without enough thought and planning is something we've all experienced, with the Internet.  The tole extracted from children and women in particular, is incalculable and continues to this day.  Would we allow a daycare centre to open that endangered it's young people? No. Yet somehow this dangerous product was launched on us with zero care and we've spent the last 20 odd years trying to sort the mess out. 
I fear this is how Elon would operate, launch some *thing* that he's dreamed up, and the next couple of generations will be left with the ramifications. I wouldn't put it passed him to block out the sun with his bloody satellites and sell us back access to sunshine. (Yes over dramatic, but you get my point 😆)

• Like 3
  • 100 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Thats sad if it turns out to be true. But Neuralink is still pretty amazing, which was my point. 

It would be nice if the people we hate or dislike, and for often valid reasons too, are also incompetent or even just average but its not how it works.

I think that Musk has the money for people to think for him.

Appliances that are similar to Neurolink have been in development for years, I am not sure he is personally responsible for all these wonderous inventions. 

That said it could be a wonderful product if it is proven to be successful, it is early days yet.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

1 minute ago, STBG 2 said:

I think that Musk has the money for people to think for him.

Appliances that are similar to Neurolink have been in development for years, I am not sure he is personally responsible for all these wonderous inventions. 

That said it could be a wonderful product if it is proven to be successful, it is early days yet.

Agree with this. And his personality traits mean that he will stop at nothing to get something done once he's made his mind up, no matter how much it costs or who it might hurt in the process  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

The impact of rolling out a technology without enough thought and planning is something we've all experienced, with the Internet.  The tole extracted from children and women in particular, is incalculable and continues to this day.  Would we allow a daycare centre to open that endangered it's young people? No. Yet somehow this dangerous product was launched on us with zero care and we've spent the last 20 odd years trying to sort the mess out.
I fear this is how Elon would operate, launch some *thing* that he's dreamed up, and the next couple of generations will be left with the ramifications. I wouldn't put it passed him to block out the sun with his bloody satellites and sell us back access to sunshine. (Yes over dramatic, but you get my point 😆)

I can't seem to break into the quote to split it.

The internet isn't a product that got launched. It grew out of the (western) worldwide academic network, which grew out of the the US *military* network. There were toxic areas and toxic people when I started using it in 1988. That's where I learnt the phrases 'don my asbestos underwear' and 'flame war'. But I refuse to throw away a technology I can use for 'good' just because other people use it for 'evil'. To me it's akin to saying we shouldn't let the printing press loose in the world because Hilter published Mein Kampf. Because there have been toxic pamphleteers that spread anti-semitism. Etc. 

Yes it amplifies their voices. It also let's me hear that children are dying of a new virus in Darfur from a reputable journalist.

The sun bit - a Dyson sphere perhaps? Yes there is a technology imagined that would do just what you say - capture all the sunlight and we'd need to access sunlight artificially. 

I'm not entirely happy about the Starlink network. But who am I to tell people in other parts of Australia and the world that they shouldn't have the access to technology that I have. 

I don't like that we will have competing networks. Duplicating and taking orbits. But nor do I want the UN or some worldwide  government body running a satellite network.

Nor do I want to be forced to use the one CCP/China is putting up, and knowingly leaving a space debris problem that is going to make it harder and harder for anyone to access space.

Do I really want Elon being the one that gets us to the Moon, or Mars? Well I'm not that keen on Jeff Bezos either (the guy behind the New Glenn rockets). But I sure as hell don't want China to beat us there.

To me that's the big problem with Elon. I don't like him personally.  But like Murdoch he can put a good team together and get stuff done. That's why we talk about them. I'd work for Gwynne Shotwell - COO for SpaceX and the person that actually makes the company work (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell) as long as I never needed to deal with Elon.

And given western governments wouldn't  be in the game if it wasn't for the privateers, I have to support the privateers or the CCP or Russia get the technology field to themselves. With *no* EPA, *no* safety scrutiny, *no* one in their governments giving a damn about the fall out.

Kiwi Bicycle

I think however that Musk has the vision for what he does? He's basically the backer/ investor for the projects he sees as worthwhile. Like Starlink has brought the internet and communications to places not previously reached. Richard Branson is probably quite like him, but without the weird ego ( although Richard does have an ego, but then again you do have to have self belief to succeed).

We also know diversified systems are best, so as long as monolopplies don't happen, it's kind of a necessary evil.

MaryanneK
2 hours ago, Romeo Void said:

We've all read too many scary science fiction books that seemed batshit crazy that turned out to be true to ignore the shit Elon gets up too.  There's no one thing I can point a finger at and say 'that, that is dangerous' but when you've got a Space Cowboy launching fucking CARS into space for shits and giggles 😳.  He's so far ahead of the game technology and ideas wise than the entire world,  there is literally no one to stop him.  It bothers me that most of the discussion around him is just 'oh he's a bit crazy' but ultimately he's seen as benign.  To me he is potentially the most dangerous person on the planet at this minute.  He is a morally aberrant man with almost unlimited resources, and behaviors and ideas that are at a high school boy level.

Agree totally. Up to a certain point it's like "oh that funny crazy eccentric genius, doing his eccentric billionaire stuff" and then it goes past that point and becomes dangerous, because the lack of grip on reality and the lack of morals and the boundless ego and ambition have a very scary side. Just like trump. We were all laughing till we weren't 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, LaFoom said:

I can't seem to break into the quote to split it.

The internet isn't a product that got launched. It grew out of the (western) worldwide academic network, which grew out of the the US *military* network. There were toxic areas and toxic people when I started using it in 1988. That's where I learnt the phrases 'don my asbestos underwear' and 'flame war'. But I refuse to throw away a technology I can use for 'good' just because other people use it for 'evil'. To me it's akin to saying we shouldn't let the printing press loose in the world because Hilter published Mein Kampf. Because there have been toxic pamphleteers that spread anti-semitism. Etc. 

Yes it amplifies their voices. It also let's me hear that children are dying of a new virus in Darfur from a reputable journalist.

The sun bit - a Dyson sphere perhaps? Yes there is a technology imagined that would do just what you say - capture all the sunlight and we'd need to access sunlight artificially. 

I'm not entirely happy about the Starlink network. But who am I to tell people in other parts of Australia and the world that they shouldn't have the access to technology that I have. 

I don't like that we will have competing networks. Duplicating and taking orbits. But nor do I want the UN or some worldwide  government body running a satellite network.

Nor do I want to be forced to use the one CCP/China is putting up, and knowingly leaving a space debris problem that is going to make it harder and harder for anyone to access space.

Do I really want Elon being the one that gets us to the Moon, or Mars? Well I'm not that keen on Jeff Bezos either (the guy behind the New Glenn rockets). But I sure as hell don't want China to beat us there.

To me that's the big problem with Elon. I don't like him personally.  But like Murdoch he can put a good team together and get stuff done. That's why we talk about them. I'd work for Gwynne Shotwell - COO for SpaceX and the person that actually makes the company work (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell) as long as I never needed to deal with Elon.

And given western governments wouldn't  be in the game if it wasn't for the privateers, I have to support the privateers or the CCP or Russia get the technology field to themselves. With *no* EPA, *no* safety scrutiny, *no* one in their governments giving a damn about the fall out.

Interesting perspective. Personally I think it matters not a jot who gets to the moon first. I certainly don't think our future looks any more positive with the US or privateers laying claim to it.

The only glimmer forward would be to list the moon as a World Heritage site. But noones going to agree to that.

• Like 1

s_mdn v2.0

I am not convinced Musk is autistic,  rather he's a narcissist. If he's autistic, he's got comorbid NPD. Either way,  he's definitely the rich we should be eating. 

• Like 6
  • 100 1

23 minutes ago, Crombek said:

Interesting perspective. Personally I think it matters not a jot who gets to the moon first. I certainly don't think our future looks any more positive with the US or privateers laying claim to it.

The only glimmer forward would be to list the moon as a World Heritage site. But noones going to agree to that.

I would suppprt World Heritage for the moon in a heartbeat.

What worries me is the race for resources. From what I have heard the asteroid belt is the prize, to mine the mineral resources there. The obvious progression is Moon, Mars and then the asteroid belt. From the Moon it takes less energy to get to Mars than from Earth, and the asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter.

And whoever gets to the moon first can control the water on the moon. And hence make it much much harder for anyone else

I'd rather resources were shared across all nations. Will the US/privateers share? Not equally. Will China and Russia or whatever they become share? I won't hold my breath. I'd rather we send people who have some concept of democracy and rule of law than those raised without it altogether.

That's why the ISS was so important. We've spent years being able to work across nations at a scientific and academic level, even when the governments were at loggerheads. And now it's all breaking up back into race at all costs and reduced co- operation. 😞

That's why civil society matters and I'm all for calling out Musk, Trump, US evangelicals who support Trump, toxic masculinity et al. But I also don't want us to lose out to others who are just as toxic or worse and don't allow their people to call them out.

• Surprised 1

From what I've experienced up close and personal over several years, many parents of trans kids or kids exploring their gender identity often have to work through some big things (e.g. questions, misinformation, fear for their child's safety, addressing their own internalised prejudice or ignorance, etc) before they reach a point of acceptance and understanding. 

Some parents never, ever get to that point. 

There seems to be a lot of rage and resentment from many (not all) parents who refuse to accept that they have a trans child. That denial and rage can boil over, making the parent consumed with finding someone or something to "blame". This can not only destroy the relationship with their child, it can motivate a parent to get involved in wider anti-trans campaigning. Elon Musk is the "poster parent" for this. By his own admission, one of the big motivators in acquiring Twitter was so he could battle "wokeness" that supposedly "creates" trans kids. 

A parent who says, "My child is dead to me" when their child is right there - alive and thriving in their authenticity - is a special kind of hideous. 

I encourage people to seek out the recent interviews of Vivian Jenna Wilson. She is the young woman who Elon Musk still deadnames and misgenders as "the son who is essentially dead to me". 

Transphobia & White Supremacy are closely tied, so it's not surprising that his political views have taken a major shift to the far right. 

Edited by Sass78
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Anne Bonny
19 hours ago, Yogaalaates said:

12. He has also been outspoken about the ‘right’ kind of people needing to have more children. 🤮

That should count him out then.

• Like 1
  • 100 2
  • Haha 2

Anne Bonny
5 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Nah thats not what I mean, I'm not suggesting anyone should hold their nose. I was talking more about the nuances and complexity of people but I realise now this isn't the thread for that. 

Hasn't anyone just absolutely hated someone at work and just desperately wanted them to suck but they are actually really good at their job.

Thing is, it's become obvious he's not really that competent or even that smart. He's just really good at conning really competent and smart people to work for him, then he takes the credit.

• Like 3
  • 100 5

Advertisement