IGNORED

The Block 2024

Dusty

Mrs Claus
32 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

And don’t forget the bad plastering.

honestly, its impossible to get a good tradie in Melbourne anymore, and they’re in Phillip island, so I’m not surprised.

Most of the tradies aren’t local. 

Chocolate Addict
1 hour ago, Mrs Zee said:

I really hope R and H win this series. They have to be the most genuine and considerate people. 

Is there a rule against other teams pitching in to help other houses? 

Other teams can pitch in but I think it was a time factor with the  bathroom, they needed to basically pull it apart and redo it, the waterproofing takes ages to dry, it was Friday and room reveal is 2 days later. They couldn't physically do it.

• Like 2

That tiler is clearly brilliant. Perhaps he isn't suited to a pushed time frame but at least we would know it is done properly so I would hire him. Let's face it the time lines forced upon them is not going to create the best outcomes.

We have had no issues finding great tradies at all. You just have to do a little background on them. 

• Like 3

I hate the way that The Block can potentially destroy the business of someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it. I would imagine if they find it hard to get trades is is because of this.

My GF's son was a landscaper up at Gisborne, he has a successful business but he was treated like rubbish. He'd never do it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Other teams can pitch in but I think it was a time factor with the  bathroom, they needed to basically pull it apart and redo it, the waterproofing takes ages to dry, it was Friday and room reveal is 2 days later. They couldn't physically do it.

I didn't mean in time for the reveal, I am hoping they pitch in and help them get it done at some point. Or instead of drinking at the pub, why don't they help their fellow contestants? I understand it's a competition but I couldn't enjoy my night out knowing others near me were so stressed and stretched. 

3 hours ago, STBG 2 said:

I hate the way that The Block can potentially destroy the business of someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it. I would imagine if they find it hard to get trades is is because of this.

My GF's son was a landscaper up at Gisborne, he has a successful business but he was treated like rubbish. He'd never do it again.

I loved that R kept saying he recognised he was a good guy and great builder, it just didn't fit in with the way the block operates. I had so much respect for him in that moment.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

7 hours ago, STBG 2 said:

That tiler is clearly brilliant. Perhaps he isn't suited to a pushed time frame but at least we would know it is done properly so I would hire him. Let's face it the time lines forced upon them is not going to create the best outcomes.

We have had no issues finding great tradies at all. You just have to do a little background on them. 

DH (yelling at the tv last night):  Instead of whinging, get off your arse and carry in the tiles that don't need cutting!

• Like 1
  • 100 1
  • Haha 1

LemonMyrtle

I didn’t watch the full episode, but what there a reason why two of the ensuite bathrooms had the switches on the outside of the room?? That’s so unusual in Australia (stock standard in Korea). Why would the electricians have done that? Is it because all their (ridiculously large) showers ended right at the door frames and they didn’t think to run the cabling to the other side of the door? 

LemonMyrtle

Oh and what’s with all the tiny towel rails, and so close to the toilets!! In one house I swear a large towel would dangle in the bowl. 
Im guessing they are those heated posts, so the towel would dry, but I need more than that. We have a tall ladder heated towel rail in our ensuite, and it houses 2 towels, the bath mat, occasionally a hand towel, and also a shower cap or two. Where do their bath mats dry?? This is Phillip island, it’s cold, bath mats don’t just dry on the ground. 

• 100 1

LemonMyrtle
2 minutes ago, Meepy said:

Yep, a 10 with the light switches on the outside.  Garbage.

I agree, but they were always going to win this week though. I could have predicted it at the end of last week. The judging is rigged. 

• 100 1

6 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

I agree, but they were always going to win this week though

I didn't think they won, wasn't it House 2 that won this week? Courtney & Grant? By half a point?

I came in right at the end - what was the alleged problem with Mimi's room?

LemonMyrtle
1 minute ago, qak said:

I didn't think they won, wasn't it House 2 that won this week? Courtney & Grant? By half a point?

There were two who had the switches outside the room. 

DD and I were saying it'd be good if the judges went in blind not knowing anything about the teams. They seem to have preconceived ideas about them before they even see the first room.

Proper blind judging, not knowing who's had a baby, who lives where, just walk in the room and judge it on its merits. 

• Like 6
  • 100 2

Kiwi Bicycle
28 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

Oh and what’s with all the tiny towel rails, and so close to the toilets!! In one house I swear a large towel would dangle in the bowl. 
Im guessing they are those heated posts, so the towel would dry, but I need more than that. We have a tall ladder heated towel rail in our ensuite, and it houses 2 towels, the bath mat, occasionally a hand towel, and also a shower cap or two. Where do their bath mats dry?? This is Phillip island, it’s cold, bath mats don’t just dry on the ground. 

Here's the towel posts my parents put in. I can confirm they are the best at drying your towel. Much better than a ladder heated towel. The entire towel gets dry.

Bath mats get hung off the edge of the bath ir over the shower screen.

But yeah, very close to the toilet.

Here's the Block bathroom. Sorry the parental photo won't rotate.

image.thumb.png.27279a74e69e47fb8a11e80fc3b22eeb.png

20230814_201201.jpg

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle
  • Like 2

Ooh they're quite long. 

I wish we had room for some. Our bathroom is so stupidly designed we dry our towels over the shower(easier to get them once we're done anyway). 

The camera lens on the first photo has the toilet roll so far away that I'd have to get up and go for a walk to reach the paper. At least, I hope it is the camera lens and not the design.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mrs Claus

As a local I found it quite bad form that Grant named and shamed our local glass company when it was his fault. The owners/workers at that company are the nicest people and I hope this doesn’t effect their business

• Like 5
  • Surprised 2
  • Angry 1

Having towels hanging so close to the back of a toilet makes me hope that this is an only female buyer.

• Haha 6

H2 I don't like the checkerboard pattern, I don't like the bench pattern, and i dont like the green basins on the bench.

H5 I find the wall tiles too heavy/drab in both bathrooms and I don't think it will age well.

I love a beige house, but i'm not loving these bathrooms.

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

I hate the marble bench and shower inset in I think the winning team? I don't like marble in general but it didn't match or contrast nicely. If I had to choose then the one in Kylie's shower was better.

They need blind judging or get rid of Shayna, or both.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

4 hours ago, qak said:

The ensuite was just a massive waste of space. I think they said the shower was 2.5m deep and wide, so why not put a bath in there or actually make use of the space.

The door opened almost into the glass shower screen so you had to open the door completely to enter the bathroom or you'd hit the glass. 

Shayna said the beach trinkets had reached the point they were overdone and kitschy.

Marty - whose feedback im quite enjoying - said something like they had the biggest budget, best position and most space for the ensuite. They should have had an unbeatable room yet they didn't make good choices to utilise any of those in a positive way.

Edited by Mooguru
Edited because it's late and I'm not coherant
  • Like 1

Shayna is grinding my gears more than she ever has in previous years. Her taste is her taste but she expects us all to want and like the same things.

Just because it is near the beach doesn't mean it has to have a cookie cutter beach vibe.

• Like 2
  • 100 3

LemonMyrtle
23 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

Shayna is grinding my gears more than she ever has in previous years. Her taste is her taste but she expects us all to want and like the same things.

Just because it is near the beach doesn't mean it has to have a cookie cutter beach vibe.

Me too. She is the one that has missed the mark, she has no idea how people use Philip island. It’s not just a beach town. People live there. And for a large part of the year you’re not swimming every day, you’re sitting back with a glass of wine, going on walks, enjoying the view. A gas log fireplace and a cosy reading nook is more appropriate than a beach vibe.

my favourite judge is still Marty Fox this year.  He seems to know the market and what will and won’t turn off buyers.

• Like 2

LemonMyrtle

So haw far behind the build, is the TV show airing? I wonder whether these recent storms have affected The Block, and how far construction had proceeded when they hit. It’s been a few days of horrendous wind in a row. If they weren’t at a proper lock up stage, they would have been in big trouble. But I’m assuming they would be almost complete by now? 

Advertisement