IGNORED

The Block 2024

Dusty

11 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I just read about it. However I don't agree with the artitect about parents wanting bedrooms near kids. Most of the houses being sold near me are touted " private adult retreat" or " multi generational living" which is what people want. A separation of parents areas to other bedrooms. Like how downstairs masters are a thing. So sorry, so-called-expert, I actually think you are wrong in your thinking. Little kids are only little for so long, and then parents want their privacy back!

There is a difference between being away from and being at the opposite end of a huge house though and that is what these 2 tiny rooms would have been.

Kiwi Bicycle

Well this here is pretty much the norm house design wise now. The master on the ground floor and everyone else upstairs. I don't disagree that The Block house design she was suggesting wouldn't of worked, I am more saying the architect is wrong, people do want parent/ other bedroom separation. I have seen houses with a parents wing on one side and the rest of the bedroom on the other with the living area in the middle. Other single level designs have the naster at the front of the house and the other bedrooms at the back.

image (21).jpg

Screenshot_20240814_111218_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Well this here is pretty much the norm house design wise now. The master on the ground floor and everyone else upstairs. I don't disagree that The Block house design she was suggesting wouldn't of worked, I am more saying the architect is wrong, people do want parent/ other bedroom separation. I have seen houses with a parents wing on one side and the rest of the bedroom on the other with the living area in the middle. Other single level designs have the naster at the front of the house and the other bedrooms at the back.

image (21).jpg

But that's more a standard home, rather than a holiday home. I think he's right that people don't want their guests' rooms tucked in with the kids rooms, it is far more sensible to have their guests in a separate wing and family rooms together. 

And like others have said, there's a big difference between those floor plans and the block houses. Down the opposite end is very different to their proposed layout that has it as a distinctly separate wing.

Our master is at the opposite end of our long house to the kids rooms and that's fine for day to day living. Whenever we have guests staying, I wish it was different though. I worry about my kids disrupting them overnight or waking them too early. 

I hope Paige has had a chance for some self reflection and doesn't think she's being portrayed unfairly, some honest acceptance of her atrocious behaviour would serve her well.

• Like 2

Chocolate Addict

If I was staying with friends I wouldn't want to be woken by their kids or worry that I would wake their kids.

That last plan is pretty normal, but they are all on the same floor. I wouldn't like the parents downstairs, kids up. If a kid has a nightmare they can't come to you, because you would (hopefully) have a baby gate at the top of the stairs. You would need a baby monitor or cameras everywhere.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

And now I want potato chips… darn you Grant!

Edited by Dusty

I’ve started watching.  Will see how they go.  They usually go on and on and everyone argues all the time.  Gets a bit boring.

We watched some last night, so today I went back and watched the first episode.  The make friends look good value.  I am struggling with the guy whose partner just had the baby.  I thought it was a bit odd last night that he was on a show right when the baby was due.  But then by watching the first show today, they had been doing IVF for 9 years.  So you spend 9 years trying hard for a baby, spend a few days with it after the birth and don’t see it for months?  I can’t imagine waiting 9 years then having something better to do.

• Like 2

I thought he said that their last IVF failed and that was it, as no more embryos to transfer.  And then out of the blue, a pregnancy.  When his wife/partner phoned him on site, she said that she was going into early labour. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Prancer said:

I’ve started watching.  Will see how they go.  They usually go on and on and everyone argues all the time.  Gets a bit boring.

We watched some last night, so today I went back and watched the first episode.  The make friends look good value.  I am struggling with the guy whose partner just had the baby.  I thought it was a bit odd last night that he was on a show right when the baby was due.  But then by watching the first show today, they had been doing IVF for 9 years.  So you spend 9 years trying hard for a baby, spend a few days with it after the birth and don’t see it for months?  I can’t imagine waiting 9 years then having something better to do.

I don't think they didn't plan it that way but are taking the opportunity that has arisen to try and set themselves up for the future. His mate even said if he can help them financially by doing well on the block he will be happy. I think he's fabulous, seems like he has overcome an awful upbringing and is a decent genuine guy. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

I don't think they didn't plan it that way but are taking the opportunity that has arisen to try and set themselves up for the future. His mate even said if he can help them financially by doing well on the block he will be happy. I think he's fabulous, seems like he has overcome an awful upbringing and is a decent genuine guy. 

I agree, I feel this is true friendship for Ricky and Hayden. He alluded to the fact that there had been significant financial trouble due to the 9 years of IVF and his aim was not for himself but to help his mate.

I am pretty sure he will be allowed to visit his baby as I think they live in near Frankston which is quite a quick trip.

• Like 4

Chocolate Addict

We haven't watched last nights episode yet but I did wonder what the thought process was with the baby situation. Did the baby come very early? They obviously made the decision that he would do the block in the time that the baby would be due. Was there a plan b with the show? someone to help while he was away or his loss would be at their expense?

I wouldn't be happy with my partner leaving straight after baby was born, even if they live 10 minutes away. I am guessing they have a great support system in place.

I think they are seeing this as an opportunity to try and pay for the IVF and set themselves up.  It would be hard but if they can make some money out of it, could be worthwhile.  Not that much different to parents that have to go away for work.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dusty said:

@Chocolate Addict I think you’ll enjoy last night’s episode.  Ricky is already a stand out and hey fish thongs… what can I say 👏 👏 👏 

His adoration of Shelley was super sweet.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

His adoration of Shelley was super sweet.

Very sweet and from what I could gather quite genuine 🥰

Shelley seemed quite flattered too

#wholesomeforthewin

• Like 1

Hills Mum Bec
On 14/08/2024 at 10:43 AM, Kiwi Bicycle said:

image (21).jpg

I think there is abig difference between having the kids on the ground floor and the parents upstairs and vice versa.  I get wanting to have a bit of distance from your kids bedrooms but I would not be comfortable at all with young kids downstairs and our bedroom upstairs.  I would be more comfortable if our bedroom was downstairs with the kids upstairs but still not ideal.  We live in a 2 storey house with all of our bedrooms upstairs.  When the kids have had friends sleepover in the past and they have wanted to sleep on the loungeroom floor I have not been comfortable as I worry that if somebody was to break in then the kids are downstairs with an intruder and we would be upstairs not being able to hear what is happening or kids could sneak out without us hearing.  Maybe irrational thoughts.

Anyway, Paige is absolutely awful.  Nobody has been rude to her they ahve just had differing opinions or in the case of the Kingsman people, time is of the essence in getting measurements so that robes can be made so very rude of Paige to expect them to change their schedule just to suit her.

• Like 4

I wouldn't love kid's bedrooms downstairs and the parent's room upstairs if they're teens. Makes it too easy to sneak out unheard!

Kiwi Bicycle
16 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I wouldn't love kid's bedrooms downstairs and the parent's room upstairs if they're teens. Makes it too easy to sneak out unheard!

Then they need an electronic door lock like we just installed. Sends an alert to the mobile each time it's opened. If you use thumb prints, it tells you if it's user 1 or user 2. Security stays on the windows so they only open so far, another lock on the back door and it's a bit hard to sneak out nowadays.

• Like 1

Righteo, what did we think of the first reveals, and do we ask ourselves “is it Instagramable?!”

My favorite was Courtney and Grant’s bathroom, it was lovely, the only thing that wasn’t to my taste was the stone on the vanity, I felt it clashed with the other tiles, but what do I know…

Chris from TLC interiors is doing his recaps again,  it’s a funny little read.

https://www.tlcinteriors.com.au/news-media/the-block-2024-main-bathroom-reveals/

enjoy ☺️ 

• Like 5

Hills Mum Bec
8 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Righteo, what did we think of the first reveals, and do we ask ourselves “is it Instagramable?!”

My favorite was Courtney and Grant’s bathroom, it was lovely, the only thing that wasn’t to my taste was the stone on the vanity, I felt it clashed with the other tiles, but what do I know…

Chris from TLC interiors is doing his recaps again,  it’s a funny little read.

https://www.tlcinteriors.com.au/news-media/the-block-2024-main-bathroom-reveals/

enjoy ☺️ 

I really dislike the word "instagramable".

The TLC Interiors recaps are the highlight of my week during Block seasons.

I also loved Courtney & Grant's bathroom.  That black bathroom was hideous.

@Hills Mum Bec I dislike the word too, it’s why I said it, sometimes I can’t help but take the piss 🥴

Chris’s reviews are a highlight of my block weeks too, he’s so funny.

I did like Ricky & Hayden’s bath too, having the lip looks very functional.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Chocolate Addict
2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Is that the vanity that was marble with really dark/black in it? It didn't match or compliment the rest of the room. The room was nice except for that.

I think they were too nice with Paige and ?'s room, it wasn't finished but they still got sixes? how?

The black bathroom wasn't as bad as I was expecting, was fun to see the expensive black toilet paper make an appearance again. 😛 Her artwork is lovely, I will give her that. :)

They all went over budget, some by over $10k and Courtney spent cash not bucks so not sure how they are going to recoup that money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Is that the vanity that was marble with really dark/black in it? It didn't match or compliment the rest of the room. The room was nice except for that.

Yeah that’s the one, I was surprised the judges liked it, Chris on TLC interiors loved it too.

Paige’s partner’s name is Jesse and for the life of me I do not understand how they couldn’t finish the room considering Jesse has a trade, but in fairness I really don’t know what I’m talking about other than be an owner builder over 25 years ago…

I did like Kylie’s own art as well, I particularly didn’t like the body vase though. Again just personal taste.

Not Escapin Xmas
5 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I did like Kylie’s own art as well, I particularly didn’t like the body vase though. Again just personal taste.

I agree. The body vase was flouro pink and too small. If it was magenta, quite a big bigger and with actual flowers or foliage, it would have been much better. Was just too small/silly for the bathroom.

• Like 3

Not Escapin Xmas

Oh, and 'instagrammable' is bullshit. So is the incorrect use of the term 'materiality'. Just 'sayin'. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Advertisement