IGNORED

Scam calls about pathology results

RynandStompy

RynandStompy

DH nearly got caught out yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

He missed a call while we were at a funeral, only noticed while we were parking at home. It was a NSW number which he was going to ignore as we're in Vic , but he figured he'd play the voicemail.

Clear voice, Aussie like accent. A message for (name) to please return this call about pathology results. Professional sounding message.

We'd thought scam, but by coincidence he'd had two sets of tests this week so he figured what if there was an testing issue and he didn't want to stew on it over the weekend if they closed at 5.

So he called the number. He said it sounded like he was being rerouted before a guy randomly answered. Suspicions fully up, DH just said he missed a call and was calling the number back, gave no clues or name. The person responded a bit oddly so DH hung up, more annoyed at himself for validating his number was live. 

Anyway - he'd been one of many recently with data stolen from the recent Medisecure hack, or it could be another phishing source.

Regardless I thought would put the warning up as the smooth Friday afternoon timing of this one could catch more offguard. Especially if the recipient lives in NSW

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Thanks 7

Mooguru

Oh geez, I'd probably Fall for that 😳 so thanks for posting.

Eta: if he's recently had a test, I'd probably contact the actual pathology place just in case there's a security issue on their side. It might be coincidence but....

Edited by Mooguru
  • Like 1

Seayork2002

Dh and I have been getting scam calls regularly in the last few weeks me daily and sometimes a few times a day

I also get toll fine texts which look really genuine, well if we had a car anyway 

I only answer for people I know, we don't have a landline any more 

DrowninginPlushies

I had to think hard a couple of weeks ago when I received an Aus post failed delivery text, wanting me to go to a website to put delivery details in. I'd literally just had an email from a courier company that they'd tried to deliver my parcel & failed.

It would have been very easy to fall for, as it's timing was perfect as often courier companies use Aus Post as we're regional.

I only avoided because my rule is to login directly/use the app rather than click on links. Nothing, so I ignored the text. Parcel was delivered next business day. I've since had another of the same text.

It's getting so hard to tell the difference!!

• Like 1
  • 100 1

DragonsGrace

Can’t speak for all pathology’s but where I work (making multiple calls per week to pts) we are not allowed to leave messages for ppl or even disclose where we are calling from without identifying we’re speaking to the right person. We can’t confirm that the intended pt will be the one to listen to the message and it’s a breach of medical privacy to disclose that someone may have had tests done. You should be able to call the patho directly (Google search them and call the results or general inquiries line). Where I work is regional nsw so not the biggest but even we’re open on the phones til 10pm and have someone to answer the phone on Saturdays and Sundays during the day too. Most large pathologies are 24hrs

• Thanks 1

Mooguru
3 hours ago, DragonsGrace said:

Can’t speak for all pathology’s but where I work (making multiple calls per week to pts) we are not allowed to leave messages for ppl or even disclose where we are calling from without identifying we’re speaking to the right person. We can’t confirm that the intended pt will be the one to listen to the message and it’s a breach of medical privacy to disclose that someone may have had tests done. You should be able to call the patho directly (Google search them and call the results or general inquiries line). Where I work is regional nsw so not the biggest but even we’re open on the phones til 10pm and have someone to answer the phone on Saturdays and Sundays during the day too. Most large pathologies are 24hrs

How do people know you're not a scam if you can't identify who you work for before they fully identify themselves?

• Like 1

DragonsGrace
3 minutes ago, Mooguru said:

How do people know you're not a scam if you can't identify who you work for before they fully identify themselves?

All we ask is are we speaking with Joe Bloggs, if they say yes then we identify ourselves straight away and then I (the way I’ve found works the best) confirm their dob (I give it to them, I don’t ask for it) and did they have tests done with us on x date. Most people are ok with their name being given instead of being asked who they are. Maybe less than 1 in a hundred calls I might get someone who is cagier and refuse to confirm who they are and in those cases I just advise them I am unable to state where I’m calling from for “medical privacy” but I can as soon as I know I’m speaking with the right person and then they usually confirm their Id. Less than 1% of those cases does the person continue to refuse and then I’ll just tell them I can’t continue the call and ‘have a nice day’. Our phone number isn’t a hidden number so if anyone has any problems they usually then call back to a menu that states who we are. It’s a legal requirement that we don’t identify ourselves coz if for example a dad answers the phone and we say “I’m calling from Y Pathology are you John Smith” but the son had tests done then we’ve just let someone who has no legal right to know that his son has had some form of pathology testing done. It’s much better to be vague and risk not getting the info needed than violate someone’s right to privacy. 

• Like 3

Laridae

I had one which may or may not have been our internet provider. They called me and said they were and then wanted me to provide my date of birth so they could confirm who I was. They called me by my name.

I told them no, don"t be ridiculous, you called me, I'm not going to prove who I am, and they were, oh but we need to know you are the account holder. And I'm like. Security 101 guys, don't give out your personal details to randoms calling you. Told them they could send me an email.

If it was genuine, they should know better.

Edited by Laridae
  • 100 1

Advertisement