IGNORED

Cat with asthma

HoneyBear

HoneyBear

Has anyone else had a kitty with asthma?  What has helped?  
When we got her from a rescue she was extremely malnourished and underweight, and had a sensitive stomach.  Two years later now she is a healthy weight, on regular Advance dry food, but now recently developed asthma.  The vet gave her a steroid injection and ventolin, but the steroids can have side effects with their kidneys, so looking for other ways to help her.

I am going to try her on a sensitive dry food (she prefers dry food).  But any other ideas or tips?  
She is literally my baby.

• Care 2

Mooguru

Not personally but a friend had a cat with allergies so my understanding was avoiding the allergen fixed the asthma. So can't hurt to try the sensitive food and hopefully that helps if it's a similar cause.

From memory it's more likely to be an airborne thing though, so fireplaces, mould  dust etc.  I'm pretty sure my friend's cat it was a change in Kitty litter that was the issue. 

Jenflea

I've seen videos of cats who use a nebuliser, they get used to it, especially if they get a treat afterwards. Plus one guy said his cat realised she felt better after using it so didn't fight it as much. 

HoneyBear

The neighbour behind us has a wood heater that blows right into our house, I feel like the chimney isn’t high enough.  I feel like it is probably the cause of the cats asthma and my more transient asthma. 

It’s really frustrating that in suburban areas approved for higher density living (eg blocks around 200-300 sqm) people can have wood heaters.  

Kitty is okay for now but I will have to maybe buy another air purifier. 

I had a cat with allergy induced asthma. We needed to take all the precautions you would take for a human with dust mite allergies, especially vacuuming regularly with a HEPA filter (or tearing up carpet…) given how close their faces are the the floor. Any cat bedding (whether actual cat bedding or the things she chose as her bedding) needed to be washed regularly in hot water. We had also been letting her into an enclosed part of the garden when we were out there and the vet recommended against it due to pollen.

Advertisement