IGNORED

Centrelink hcc and gas/electricity discounts…

Hotchocolate

Hotchocolate

I chose to have my ftb a+b paid at the EOF last year due to my fluctuating income. I got a hcc which gave me discounts on gas & electricity.

Centrelink has now recalculated my income and I have to repay some money, which is fine. But do I also need to repay the discounts I received on gas & electricity last year?

I already paid them last year and I’ve spent 2 hours on the phone with them trying to find out.

Bornagirl

I have no idea, but I can tell you one thing.  Don't volunteer, with either of them.

Calculate the discounts you received last year, and try to put 10% (or whatever) of that away each pay period so that you've got something set aside in case at some point, reconciliations are done, and you are asked to pay back the difference.

Neither the government coffers (the rest of us) or the energy companies, are in such poor state that someone on a marginal income should need to worry about this.

So ...maybe you end up with more net cash that someone who declared up front.  Life is swings and roundabouts and our social support system is such that most of us go through periods of receiving, and periods of giving.

• Like 4

I don't believe so as there is a year delay in qualifying.

Ie Charlie was born 14 July. On that date i earnt low enough to qualify for the energy rebate, BUT I don't get it til the next tax year. So it's based off last year. And if this year i earn too much i lose it next year, and still get it this year.

HoneyBear

How would the gas or electric companies even know?  It’s not like Centrelink feeds them info.

• 100 1

CrankyM

As far as I know you don't have to repay them. HCC is assessed annually, unless you put in your income at a much higher rate. Unless it's coming up in their system as inactive (like the pharmacy) I would just assume you don't have to pay it back. Also the HCC qualifications have two amounts. An amount under which you initially qualify and an "ongoing" amount which is higher. About a 3k difference over 8 weeks for a single parent with 1 child.

• Like 1

Advertisement