IGNORED

Booktopia enters voluntary administration

everybump

Aust-27
On 04/07/2024 at 11:49 PM, Basil said:

I think this is pretty accurate.

I read that Booktopia invested millions in a new automated warehousing system.  I assume it was in an effort to emulate Amazon's delivery system.  They couldn't get the numbers required to cover the cost of the new investment though.

I haven't purchased from Booktopia with my own money, for over 10 years.  I was really annoyed with their 'in stock' which turns out to not actually be in their stock but supposedly in stock with their supplier/publisher.  Something that was supposed to arrive in three days (with extra paid for express post), would end up taking over two weeks.

I stopped buying from them years ago for the same reason. 

• 100 1

Aust-27
10 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Honestly had a grumpy pill today?

Was going to say the same. But also add settle petal 😄 

• Surprised 1

Yogaalaates
10 minutes ago, Aust-27 said:

Was going to say the same. But also add settle petal 😄 

Sometimes the right thing to do is say nothing.

Fruitmincepies

Just a reminder to keep things on topic and play the point, not the person. 

FMP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kerilyntaryn21
On 06/07/2024 at 9:24 AM, Seayork2002 said:

I used to work at WH Smith's years ago and I visit the store every time we go back and last time it was like one of those discount bookshops, Waterstones was nearly the same, and our favourite local bookshop to the inlaws also 

It was sad to see bug ateasr they are still there

I'm in UK at the moment.  My 19 year old would like her to get some adult colouring books.  Do you know which location would have a large selection.  I tried to do a click and collect for the 3 she wants but can't due to the 2 part authority, eg when they send to phone it doesn't work

Rosie28
9 minutes ago, Kerilyntaryn21 said:

I'm in UK at the moment.  My 19 year old would like her to get some adult colouring books.  Do you know which location would have a large selection.  I tried to do a click and collect for the 3 she wants but can't due to the 2 part authority, eg when they send to phone it doesn't work

Maybe try Daunts?

• Like 1

Bornagirl
On 06/07/2024 at 10:33 AM, Rosie28 said:

QBD is horrible. The problem I had with Booktopia was similar to a PP- they weren’t the fastest or the cheapest. Often took 2 weeks to deliver books they had listed as “in stock”. I’d rather spend the extra to wait 2 weeks for my local bookshop or Hill of Content to order a book in if they don’t have it in stock, and I’m lucky to be able to afford the extra few dollars. 

I had similar at one stage.  Ordered a book for a birthday, added another few for the sake of it, and the ones I didn't need arrived quickly, but not the birthday book.   I did put me off.

Bornagirl
52 minutes ago, Kerilyntaryn21 said:

You're not with Telstra prepaid by any chance?  You could get a 3 x day international allowance for $10.

Seayork2002
1 hour ago, Kerilyntaryn21 said:

WH Smith's should but also any of the million Pound shops, Yorkshire Trading, B&M 

Kerilyntaryn21
14 minutes ago, Seayork2002 said:

WH Smith's should but also any of the million Pound shops, Yorkshire Trading, B&M 

Ok,  just wondering if you knew which WHSmith is a large bookstore, the ones we've seen basically have magazines, stationary and food 

Kerilyntaryn21
47 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

You're not with Telstra prepaid by any chance?  You could get a 3 x day international allowance for $10.

No, im not sure which one 

Seayork2002
19 minutes ago, Kerilyntaryn21 said:

Ok,  just wondering if you knew which WHSmith is a large bookstore, the ones we've seen basically have magazines, stationary and food 

It depends really even some of the main ones in towns seems to be changing, one thought is ones at railway stations may have a little more variety, the one I worked in was on 2 levels and had a big book section but all the ones I have been to across the UK and I have covered most counties over the years have had mix of magazines and books etc. 

Waterstones and Folyles maybe able to help but again these dont seem to be what they used too, well Waterstones anyway

I think I saw some in M&S from memory weirdly near the stack of chocolate covered custard creams

• Like 1

Crombek

So I've just been directed to this interesting piece of information that Booktopia had to pay a $6 million fine to the ACCC last year. That's pretty huge. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/booktopia-to-pay-6m-for-misleading-statements-about-consumer-guarantee-rights

'Booktopia admitted that from at least 10 January 2020 to 2 November 2021, Booktopia made misleading statements in its online Terms of Business that consumers were only entitled to a refund, repair or replacement if they notified Booktopia within 2 business days of receiving a product that was faulty or not what they ordered.

Booktopia also admitted that its Terms of Business contained misleading representations, by stating that consumers were not entitled to a refund for digital products such as eBooks for any reason, including if the product was faulty.

Booktopia also admitted that it made misleading statements to 19 individual consumers in customer service calls by advising the consumers that it did not have an obligation to provide a refund or replacement if the consumer had not notified Booktopia within 2 business days of delivery, even if the product was faulty.'

• Angry 1

Yogaalaates
Just now, Crombek said:

So I've just been directed to this interesting piece of information that Booktopia had to pay a $6 million fine to the ACCC last year. That's pretty huge. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/booktopia-to-pay-6m-for-misleading-statements-about-consumer-guarantee-rights

'Booktopia admitted that from at least 10 January 2020 to 2 November 2021, Booktopia made misleading statements in its online Terms of Business that consumers were only entitled to a refund, repair or replacement if they notified Booktopia within 2 business days of receiving a product that was faulty or not what they ordered.

Booktopia also admitted that its Terms of Business contained misleading representations, by stating that consumers were not entitled to a refund for digital products such as eBooks for any reason, including if the product was faulty.

Booktopia also admitted that it made misleading statements to 19 individual consumers in customer service calls by advising the consumers that it did not have an obligation to provide a refund or replacement if the consumer had not notified Booktopia within 2 business days of delivery, even if the product was faulty.'

That was reported here too  https://theconversation.com/booktopia-australias-biggest-online-bookseller-is-poised-for-collapse-that-doesnt-mean-bookshops-are-in-trouble-233975 They reckon they lost a lot of customers over it. 

Lunagirl
On 11/07/2024 at 11:13 AM, Exp said:

I found it eventually. It’s not in the resources which is where I kept looking because of the way the mail was worded. There’s a link in the PDF circular to customers. 

IMG_4534.jpeg

Thank you so much. I missed this until today, but have now filled out the form. 

I know the odds of getting anything back are low, but for sixty seconds of my time, it's worth a shot.

I've also raised a dispute with my bank as I paid via credit card.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Kerilyntaryn21

Thanks for the update.  Wonder what happens with items that were on order, it doesn't really say specifically 

"The announcement of a new owner has several immediate upsides. With solvency assured, Booktopia can now resume trading. Even though the as-yet-undisclosed sale price does not cover the company’s current debts, reactivating operations reanimates the business’s revenue stream, which may bring relief for publishers who’ve supplied stock and customers with outstanding backorders. 

All current staff will be retained and there are plans to recruit an additional 100 staff, potentially including some laid off two months ago. "

https://theconversation.com/well-placed-for-growth-booktopia-has-been-saved-by-an-online-electronics-store-which-plans-to-invest-millions-237028

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Kiwi Bicycle
On 05/07/2024 at 8:33 AM, Kiwi Bicycle said:

It's back on the market. Sold in Nov 2022 (and was posted on EB then as well) for $ 2.2 mill. Now on for $ 2.8- 3 mill with no changes. I saw it the other day in my real estate stalking and realised I had seen it before. Some quick Googling confirmed it.

The market has softened. I am not sure they will get that big a jump in price. Other properties in this area have had price reductions.

Reviving this thread purely as there's an update in this house. (25 Coltain St,  Vermont South, Melbourne with a library with spiral staircase. There's been a thread in this house before)

It obviously didn't sell in July, was taken off market and just reappeared today.

Asking price $ 2.4- 2.5 million.

Massive drop from the $3 mill wanted in July.

Called it, prices have dropped!

Advertisement