IGNORED

Booktopia enters voluntary administration

everybump

Book Grocer is a local Melbourne family.  Started with remaindered books and getting into shops which were waiting for tenants, so easily packed up and moved.  Very clever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Crombek

We have a gorgeous independent bookshop locally that our entire region seems incredibly protective of. It's atmospheric, has a great selection, promotes local authors really well and has the most amazing family running it.

They work so hard and are the best people to boot. I'll only buy my physical books from them (unless they're exclusive editions) even though it does cost more. 

• Like 4

Rosie28
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

QBD is better than Kmart or Big W. At least the staff actually deal with books and you can find one at the counter. And the shop is kept tidy.

Don't try and kill the chain some poster might onky have access to. QBD at least stock back list, lots of topics and doesn't just cherry pick like Kmart and Big W do.

And trying to be Costco? Really? Costco is a warehouse! With lots of crud in it. Yes, QBD picked up Australian Geographic line, but at least they are an actual bookstpre. Not a frigging warehouse. And you don't need a membership to step in the store, unlike Costco and their door police.

I’m not trying to kill anything?

But I’m also not going to shop there, I don’t find it to be a pleasant shopping experience and I don’t rate their range. I had no idea about the membership situation but that doesn’t appeal to me at all either. 

• Like 1

Rosie28
36 minutes ago, Crombek said:

We have a gorgeous independent bookshop locally that our entire region seems incredibly protective of. It's atmospheric, has a great selection, promotes local authors really well and has the most amazing family running it.

They work so hard and are the best people to boot. I'll only buy my physical books from them (unless they're exclusive editions) even though it does cost more. 

My suburb just got a new bookshop and the excitement was so wonderful to watch! The owners are lovely and although the space is small the selection is well thought out. I’m finding any and all excuses to visit them. 

• Like 4

Kiwi Bicycle
Just now, Rosie28 said:

I’m not trying to kill anything?

But I’m also not going to shop there, I don’t find it to be a pleasant shopping experience and I don’t rate their range. I had no idea about the membership situation but that doesn’t appeal to me at all either. 

Sorry, kill was probably too harsh a word.

Maybe " diss"?

Some people have limited options on what is available. I and outer Eastern Melbourne and have the choice of Dymocks, QBD, Robinson's  ( which is so tiny), Kmart, Big W and ONE children's bookstore that's independent nearby. It's  a drive into Kew, Camberwell or such to get to any other independents. 

It's  a big stretch to say QBD is horrible and Costco like. It's a bookstore. It's not cluttered with stationery, toys, nick nacks etc. It actually does it's job well. You may not like it's idea of a loyalty scheme, but it's optional.

• Like 2

Quisby
Posted (edited)

QBD is the only local bookshop to us and they are absolutely fine. It's a big store and reminds me exactly of Dymocks of old (which we used to have but closed down yonks ago). They have always been prompt with any enquires and orders of books (specifically children's books) that I wanted, to the point that they are often quicker getting it in than me placing a Booktopia order online and waiting for delivery.

But next week I'll be visiting my three most favourite bookstores.

Scorpio Books in Christchurch (a Christchurch institution that survived the quakes and came back better than ever) and their children's bookstore Telling Tales which is just directly opposite the main store. So in one and then the other. 

Scorpio Books - https://neatplaces.co.nz/places/christchurch/culture/scorpio-books

Telling Tales - https://neatplaces.co.nz/places/christchurch/culture/telling-tales

and then Smiths Bookshop. Originally started in 1894 by Mr A.D Smith. Now that's longevity for you. :)  Was for many years in Manchester Street but the quakes took care of that location so they moved and reopened out of the CBD. Such a brilliant book shop for second-hand and rare books. I just love it. https://thetannery.co.nz/stores/books/smiths-bookshop/

Edited by Quisby
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Kiwi Bicycle
10 minutes ago, Quisby said:

QBD is the only local bookshop to us and they are absolutely fine. It's a big store and reminds me exactly of Dymocks of old (which we used to have but closed down yonks ago). They have always been prompt with any enquires and orders of books (specifically children's books) that I wanted, to the point that they are often quicker getting it in than me placing a Booktopia order online and waiting for delivery.

But next week I'll be visiting my three most favourite bookstores.

Scorpio Books in Christchurch (a Christchurch institution that survived the quakes and came back better than ever) and their children's bookstore Telling Tales which is just directly opposite the main store. So in one and then the other. 

Scorpio Books - https://neatplaces.co.nz/places/christchurch/culture/scorpio-books

Telling Tales - https://scorpiobooks.co.nz/tellingtales/

and then Smiths Bookshop. Originally started in 1894 by Mr A.D Smith. Now that's longevity for you. :)  Was for many years in Manchester Street but the quakes took care of that location so they moved and reopened out of the CBD. Such a brilliant book shop for second-hand and rare books. I just love it. https://thetannery.co.nz/stores/books/smiths-bookshop/

Oh I loved dealing with Scorpio Books, always nice and polite when they rang for special order info.

While we are talking NZ Bookstores, my staunchly independent 2 in Auckland were The Women's Bookshop ( and Carole is still running things! Wow) and Time-out in Mt Eden who changed hands ( and had the shop cat as part of the sale) is still going. 

https://www.timeout.co.nz/aboutus

https://www.womensbookshop.co.nz/pages/6115-AbouttheShop

• Like 1

Yogaalaates
Posted (edited)

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/article/2024/jul/06/bookshops-will-never-die-thats-why-i-bought-one-on-gumtree-five-years-ago-and-were-still-here

As the world grows more hostile, binary and inflamed, we look to books to remind us of life’s complexity and grey areas, of wonder, learning and expansion. They open our minds, soften our hearts, ground us, connect us and free us.

I refuse to believe books and good bookshops will ever die. They are a human rather than commercial interest. As long as we’re here, we will need to read: to collect and share and discuss books is one of the great joys of life.

Edited by Yogaalaates
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

TinCat
Posted (edited)

I love a good bookshop, but they are a luxury for a lot of people. 

If I go to the local shopping centre, want to buy books for birthdays or Christmas and the choice is between KMart and QBD, my wallet is much happier with the KMart visit. 

I know this doesn't help bookstores stay alive, but my bank account is a big concern for me and I'm sure plenty of others. 

Likewise with Booktopia, it's hard to use them when Book Depository were always cheaper and no postage. 

It's really sad because I think we only have one bookshop left locally - a QBD.  But they're still more expensive than the likes of KMart.

Edited by TinCat

Kiwi Bicycle

In case you were wondering how Kmart et al get such low prices, this is how they do it ( former book distributor here).

1. They buy in such massive bulk. Like an independent *might* order 100 of a best seller ( and you are taking a risk if it's an unknown author) with a top up on pre orders and reordering later after release. The big guys are taking 10,000 copies plus.

2. So the book distributor takes the hit in the pocket due to bulk.

3. They also might get hit with the shipping as well. Some chains will want you to parcel out the order and send direct to store. Thankfully most do also have a central hub warehouse you ship to.

4. They cherry pick. They don't hold back list, they only buy new releases, they don't reorder a title after 8 months.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ernegirl
1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

In case you were wondering how Kmart et al get such low prices, this is how they do it ( former book distributor here).

1. They buy in such massive bulk. Like an independent *might* order 100 of a best seller ( and you are taking a risk if it's an unknown author) with a top up on pre orders and reordering later after release. The big guys are taking 10,000 copies plus.

3. They also might get hit with the shipping as well. Some chains will want you to parcel out the order and send direct to store. Thankfully most do also have a central hub warehouse you ship to.

4. They cherry pick. They don't hold back list, they only buy new releases, they don't reorder a title after 8 months.

That sounds similar to how Tesco etc used to run their system in the UK.

A big thing that used to influence bestsellers 20 years ago AFAICS was tv book clubs. Oprah, Richard and Judy (UK) etc. They’d review a book, create the demand and bang, it was retailing in the supermarkets for peanuts. I think Tesco even had its own book club at one point.

Not sure how discount book sales are going in the UK now. There certainly used to be lots of Bargain Books type stores in town centres.

We have an independent bookstore (the prices run from $ to $$$), a QBD and a Kmart.

I love the secondhand bookstores in bigger cities. It’s for the unexpected choice as much as the price.

• Like 4

Kiwi Bicycle
14 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

A big thing that used to influence bestsellers 20 years ago AFAICS was tv book clubs. Oprah, Richard and Judy (UK) etc. They’d review a book, create the demand and bang, it was retailing in the supermarkets for peanuts. I think Tesco even had its own book club at one point.

Not sure how discount book sales are going in the UK now. There certainly used to be lots of Bargain Books type stores in town centres.

Oh yeah, the bookclub effect. It would really throw you off if it wasn't something considered a " bestseller" type book. Then you were scrambling at the publisher, who also has been caught shirt and having to order a reprint months early!

Discount book shops will always be around. Publishers and distributors often have " remainder" stock, stuff that hasn't had a reorder in 12 months, so they want to quit the stock at almost cost. The bookshop buyers would come to the warehouse to browse to buy up stock. It's the stuff you see on the tables at QBD in the middle of the mall. Dymocks would do it too, along with books that the distributors didn't offer sale or return options on. 12 month stock is pulled from the shelf, written off and repriced to move,

• Like 2

Ozgirl

Is that still the case? I swear i saw Nag's book on the bookshelf in Big W.

Admittedly that's a new York Times best seller... But still. 

Mooguru

Oh yeah, it often happened at the book store I worked at that kmart would be selling books cheaper than what we could get them from the publisher for. I remember one rep quietly telling us to just buy it at kmart when there was a wait on publisher stock. 

• Angry 1

Seayork2002
49 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

That sounds similar to how Tesco etc used to run their system in the UK.

We have an independent bookstore (the prices run from $ to $$$), a QBD and a Kmart.

I love the secondhand bookstores in bigger cities. It’s for the unexpected choice as much as the price.

I used to work at WH Smith's years ago and I visit the store every time we go back and last time it was like one of those discount bookshops, Waterstones was nearly the same, and our favourite local bookshop to the inlaws also 

It was sad to see bug ateasr they are still there

• Like 1

nightmarish
4 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Sorry, kill was probably too harsh a word.

Maybe " diss"?

Some people have limited options on what is available. I and outer Eastern Melbourne and have the choice of Dymocks, QBD, Robinson's  ( which is so tiny), Kmart, Big W and ONE children's bookstore that's independent nearby. It's  a drive into Kew, Camberwell or such to get to any other independents. 

I'd love that sort of limited option! 🤩 My "local" bookshop is the library selling their old/donated stuff, and 45 minutes away there is a small independent and a second hand store. It's an hour and a half to my nearest chain store and that's a Colins, no idea how they compare to others. Online is really my only practical option, although occasionally I will fluke find a book I need locally.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Kiwi Bicycle
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ozgirl said:

Is that still the case? I swear i saw Nag's book on the bookshelf in Big W.

Admittedly that's a new York Times best seller... But still. 

There is exceptions, for ultra popular books. Like take Aaron Babley's The Bad Guys, they have the entire series. But then take Cat Kid Comics by the Dog Man author. They are only stpcking the two latest ones.

Big W has a Top 50 books I think, which they review every year, which they stock throughout the year. However most other books move on. The Tik Tok sensation The Plated Prisioner series by Raven Kennedy? All gone. Such a bestseller too 2 years ago. Sarah J Maas- The Court of Thorns and Roses series will stay, but that's because a Hulu mini series is in the works, so more book sales.

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle
  • Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle
12 minutes ago, nightmarish said:

I'd love that sort of limited option! 🤩 My "local" bookshop is the library selling their old/donated stuff, and 45 minutes away there is a small independent and a second hand store. It's an hour and a half to my nearest chain store and that's a Colins, no idea how they compare to others. Online is really my only practical option, although occasionally I will fluke find a book I need locally.

Yeah, I realise I have it " good", but I am pretty much Melbourne suburbia. We should have more choices. And I really feel for yourself people in more outer areas, becuase it just decreases big time. That's why I try not to disparage anyone who takes the chance and stocks some books.

When I used to stay in rural North land, NZ for the summer break ( so 5 weeks) as a kid, we shopped at the local charity shop for stuff to read. One of the best hauls we got was one day at the recycling depot at a local school, just after Xmas, the cardboard recycling skip was overflowing and everyone had piled stuff beside it. The truck pulled up as my mum and I were unloading, so we helped the driver reload the skip after he lifted it, with everything on the ground. It took 2 extra lifts. He had a stash of paperbacks he had rescued from a store which he gave us as thanks. Best reads ever!

• Like 1

Ozgirl
13 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Big W has a Top 50 books I think, which they review every year, which they stock throughout the year.

Ah that makes sense!

• Like 1

Zeppelina
On 03/07/2024 at 8:01 PM, Kerilyntaryn21 said:

I order all my school's library books through Booktopia and have about 20 on back order.  I'm on long service leave, so we'll see what arrives whilst I'm away for term 3

Have you tried Wheelers? We use them at our school and they have always been great - both prices, range, and customer service. Added bonus, you can get them to cover/contact the books before they get sent out (you pay for it of course, but it's reasonable).

Kerilyntaryn21
3 hours ago, Zeppelina said:

Have you tried Wheelers? We use them at our school and they have always been great - both prices, range, and customer service. Added bonus, you can get them to cover/contact the books before they get sent out (you pay for it of course, but it's reasonable).

No i haven't,  will look at that when i get back from lsl

• Like 1

Yogaalaates

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-07/booktopia-nicola-moriarty-michael-brissenden-hannah-diviney/104065866

“Booktopia has had a very important place in the Australian literary scene," Brissenden says.

"It's Australian-owned, and it supports Australian titles and Australian authors.

"And many authors have been supported by Booktopia over the years and have used the whole Booktopia experience as a valuable marketing tool."

"It's a hard market out there for books at the moment given the cost of living," Diviney told ABC News.

"Books aren't necessarily high on people's priority list in terms of purchases.
"I was pretty shocked and then pretty confused because Booktopia is where I know a lot of people get their books from and without them, obviously, we will rely more on indie bookstores.

"But that kind of poses an accessibility issue."

Diviney, who uses a wheelchair, buys most of her books online.

"I find that easier than physically going to bookstores, whether it's because of the time and the organisation that that takes to have a carer come with me, or to figure that out.

"Or depending on the bookshop itself, it might not be super accessible because often bookshops will be quite narrow, so I might be able to get in the door. But once I'm in the door, I kinda can't move around too much without disturbing the books and creating chaos."

Greenbean

As a speedy reader now in my 40s, I'm drowning in books. There aren't enough bookshelves in inner city living to deal with my collection. I've been giving away in bulk for years - local op shop, neighbourhood book library box thing, the library at work, giving to family and friends and I'm still surrounded in books.

So it's an e-reader for me now and I borrow 10+ books at a time for my daughter at the library. I want to support local bookshops, I just cannot store any more books. 

• Like 3

Advertisement