IGNORED

Australia's top baby names for 2024

everybump

everybump

Oliver and Isla are the most popular baby names.

Oliver is the top baby boy name, continuing his 11-year reign across Australia. For Generation Alpha, the generation born between 2010 and 2024, Oliver has been the top baby boy name for all but four years of Gen Alpha.

Isla, after contending in the top 5 for many years, makes a reappearance as the number one baby girl name. She knocks Charlotte off the top position.

The top ten baby boy’s names remain unchanged though shifting rankings as Hudson, Theodore and Luca gain in popularity.

Lily, Hazel and Harper make an entrance in the top ten for the girls eclipsing Ella, Grace and Willow from the year prior.

Top-10-Gen-Alpha-Baby-Names-2024.webp

https://mccrindle.com.au/article/top-baby-names-2024/

None of those names were on my list when I was choosing.  Must not be too on trend - not that I care

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

Oliver was on my list - 20 years ago but I hate the nickname Olly😛 A friend just had a boy and named him Oliver but known as Olly and another friend has a teen also known as Olly.

Prancer

Yeah, I am not into popular so would tend to avoid anything on the list!  DH chose the middle name of the eldest and that is on the list.  Not sure if it was in the top 10 18 years ago!

My somewhat unpopular name when I first started TTC 15 years ago is now too popular! Such a trend setter. Not many DS's age (10) but lots of babies. 

• Haha 1

Yogaalaates

Gen Alpha? Can I put a vote in for a Generation Optimus Prime?

• Haha 2

Ernegirl

It feels like these names have been on shuffle for a decade.

• Like 3
  • 100 1
  • Haha 1

Lesley225
6 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Oliver was on my list - 20 years ago but I hate the nickname Olly😛 A friend just had a boy and named him Oliver but known as Olly and another friend has a teen also known as Olly.

I keep reading that as Oily so don't like that shortening.  

• Haha 2

onetrick
33 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

It feels like these names have been on shuffle for a decade.

I feel like the boy names haven't changed at all, but I think Hazel is fairly new for the girls? I remember liking it as it was the name of a character in a book, but DH wasn't a fan. 

I taught an Isla in senior high school 10 years ago and hadn't heard the name before then- she had to tell people how to pronounce it!

I crossed out any name in the top 20 as I had a popular name (guarantee someone else on here has the same name as me if they were born in the 80s) and it annoyed me. 

I have 2 nephews and both have names on the list, though.

We know a lot of Ollie's though and all are known by another descriptor- little Ollie, prep Ollie etc. 

• Like 1

Blueskies12

Gah I thought I was original. I just like and pick the common names!

Edited by Blueskies12
  • Like 1

little lion

Interesting how the most popular boy name is way more popular than the number one girl name.

• Like 1

Lesley225

I think that's because people are much more staid or less adventurous in naming boys so less change or variation.  

Advertisement