IGNORED

WDYT - parent payments to schools

Taffycat

Paddlepop
2 hours ago, Blueskies12 said:

Some of these fees are ridiculous. It’s like these schools know they are in privileged areas, can charge and do so to become seemingly more elite.

The public high school, in the city, has much higher voluntary fees than the local high school and it is harder to get into, and holds a higher reputation. Better school, really?

My DD’s state high school is in a privileged area. It’s $400/year, then elective subjects might add on costs on top of that. There is a $10k overseas trip for students doing a particular language immersion stream. There’s also an unofficial school ski trip in the winter or spring holidays that is apparently highly sought after with limited spots. Again, expensive. There are so many private schools in the area. There’s one literally across the road from it. 

I went to a meeting at school last night about the overcrowding at it. It’s already overcrowded and will get worse. It seems that more students than ever who are in the catchment for it are actually attending it and not private schools. That’s believed to be due to cost of living pressures. If it’s good facilities and good access to those facilities then this high school is not the one to choose. It falls way short on science labs, manual arts spaces, hospitality rooms, and music/dance/drama rooms. Also on library space and general classrooms. Technically it has enough toilets but the reality is different.

• Like 3

withintent
3 hours ago, Meepy said:

It makes me laugh when kids tell me they can’t afford the uniform whilst wearing a $150 hoodie and $200 runners.   

Funnily enough my kid got Nikes BECAUSE the uniform shop didn't accept the back-to-school vouchers (and there's only so much stationery we can stockpile..)

Over $800 student fees for public HS here, with up to $350 extra each for sport, music, dance, drama and umpteen excursions and incursions (and performance fees and compulsory t-shirt and then tickets -over $50pp - to watch the performance...). It adds up very quickly. 

DrowninginPlushies

Some of these fees are ridiculous! Almost all of DS's classmates are going on to the public HS (which I'd love as he could walk there!). 

I am wondering how a lot of the school families - including a lot of lower income single parent families - will be able to afford high school next year. Some are having to pay off the $220 school camp over several months until November.

Kimasa

So far this year I've paid:

Curriculum contribution: $87

District cross country (because DD qualified, not for all students): $9

Camp: $295 (we do not qualify for CSEF but I know our office staff are a whizz at getting the maximum you can out of that)

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle
21 minutes ago, DrowninginPlushies said:

Some of these fees are ridiculous! Almost all of DS's classmates are going on to the public HS (which I'd love as he could walk there!). 

I am wondering how a lot of the school families - including a lot of lower income single parent families - will be able to afford high school next year. Some are having to pay off the $220 school camp over several months until November.

There's grants true low income earners can get. So Vic has CSEF (camps, sports and excursions fund) which you can get $150 for primary and $ 250 for secondary, and apart from stationery and course expenses for ingredients etc, everything else is optional, you just only pay those. And if you talk to the school, they may even be waived or payment planned. Also charities can help with uniform and other costs ( even the school if they are like minded, our school keeps some second hand uniforms aside for those who truly cannot pay $ 5 per item).

• Like 1

Sincerely
On 13/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, Tinsel said:

DD's primary school (2005 -2011) didn't ask for aa voluntary payment as it was a low socio-economic, but we always made a donation to the school because we could afford to.

Her high school (same area) asked for a voluntary payment of about $70/year and we were happy to pay it.

In an ideal world, all public schools would be very well funded, but they aren't.  I think if you can afford to pay the fee OP, do so.

Donations are tax deductible if the ICSEA value of the school is less than 1000 (doesn’t have to be set up as a charity like private school building funds). Our primary school and high school both had ICSEA values between 1000 and 1010, so just missed out, otherwise, my overall tax deductions for donations to each school would have been five figure sums which I would have given as well. 

Moomintroll
1 hour ago, DrowninginPlushies said:

Kids aren't excluded from.school through inability to pay. How it's organised depends on the state. Some don't do anything at all if voluntary fees are not paid, some have schemes where the government contributes for low income earners who can't pay. Most schools will cover excursions and even camps for kids who genuinely can't pay. Very low SES schools often have money from somewhere to cover either everyone or those who can't pay. 

• Like 4

These type of fees are another way that there is inequity in our systems. :( 

(Disclaimer,  I'm a primary public school principal, currently working in a different role in the education department)

I wish there were no additional 'voluntary' fees, as it is just unfair - unfair between students and unfair between schools. Some of the fees described are ridiculously high. My school (previous to current job) was $50 per year for Prep, $30 per year 1-4, and $125 per year 5-6 - which includes the use of a laptop (1:1) for the year. 

Whilst the fees are helpful in providing more funding for schools to use, school have never been better funded. There really is enough money in most schools to do what they need to. The fees usually provide the additional resources.

Subject fees in high school are a little different, however high schools already do better than primary, with their textbook 'hire' schemes. 

One way I was told to look at these fees: The government provides the building, the teacher, the curriculum. Parents have a responsibility to otherwise provide what their child needs for learning. Not sure how I feel about that concept these days.

• Like 3

Advertisement