IGNORED

Parents jailed over Michigan school shooting

Darryl

The parents of a Michigan teen who shot and killed four classmates have both been sentenced to at least 10 years in prison, after a jury convicted them of manslaughter in a rare case of parents being held responsible in a school shooting.

Jennifer and James Crumbley, Ethan Crumbley's parents, were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter after prosecutors presented evidence of an unsecured gun at home and indifference toward the teen’s mental health.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-10/jennifer-james-crumbley-sentenced-over-michigan-school-shooting/103688212

• Like 1

ContentedFleur

1. good, because they are culpable. 
2. the 15 year old is sentenced to serve life with no parole?!? At 15? Crikey. 

• Like 4
  • 100 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ContentedFleur said:

1. good, because they are culpable. 
2. the 15 year old is sentenced to serve life with no parole?!? At 15? Crikey. 

Crazy isn't it?  Plenty of room in prison for everyone but no changes to gun laws 🤦‍♂️

• Like 8
  • 100 5

Lesley225
1 hour ago, Darryl said:

Who the hell buys a handgun for their 15 year old?  Complete morons, that's who.

Their depressed and disturbed 15 year old.

Edited by Lesley225
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • 100 4
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2

Chocolate Addict
3 hours ago, Darryl said:

Who the hell buys a handgun for their 15 year old?  Complete morons, that's who.

From what I have seen, kids a lot younger get them too. It is a rite of passage.

I like this idea. Might wake people up to the realities of what is going on around them.

• Like 3

Ernegirl

JHC, there’s a ringing endorsement for an American childhood. Guns and embryonic cells have more protections than women and children.

I know this kid pulled the trigger, but I feel so sorry for young people put in this situation. Literally put in harm’s way, with access to lethal weapons during the years of teenage angst and identity crisis. And vulnerable to gun crime at their school desk. It is woeful, and only getting worse.

• Like 7
  • 100 2

MerryMadigralMadge

I’m currently in Finland, and there’s a lot of coverage of a school shooting here, where a 12 yo killed one student and wounded others, after bringing a gun to school. 

Here, children under 15 cannot be criminally responsible so there will be no charges etc, just social services intervening etc. 

• Like 2
  • Surprised 2
  • Crying 3
  • Angry 2

Ernegirl
3 hours ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

I’m currently in Finland, and there’s a lot of coverage of a school shooting here, where a 12 yo killed one student and wounded others, after bringing a gun to school. 

Here, children under 15 cannot be criminally responsible so there will be no charges etc, just social services intervening etc. 

It’s an interesting exercise to look at the minimum age of criminal responsibility around the world. The UN has benchmarked 14 as the absolute minimum age. The divergence around the world is quite surprising.

• Like 1

Not Escapin Xmas
13 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

It’s an interesting exercise to look at the minimum age of criminal responsibility around the world. The UN has benchmarked 14 as the absolute minimum age. The divergence around the world is quite surprising.

yeah well it's 10 in Aust so we shouldn't be feeling too smug.

• Like 5
  • 100 5
  • Crying 1

I just hope so much that this decision will make other parents stop and think before they buy a gun for their kid. 

• Like 1

Ernegirl
1 hour ago, Not Escapin Xmas said:

Oh absolutely. It’s an issue that seems to be sidestepped here each time it’s brokered.

• Like 2

Having read about this a bit more, it’s absolutely tragic. The child has serious mental health issues and reached out to his parents for help numerous times.

As did the school. 

The parents not only did nothing to help, they bought him a gun! I truly think they hoped he would use it to sui*%#e.

I am so glad the parents have been jailed.

Obviously the boy did an awful thing (and now multiple other families are suffering) but he really was failed by his parents.

• 100 5
  • Crying 3
  • Sad 1

Kiwi Bicycle
4 hours ago, Not Escapin Xmas said:

So the 10 year old murderers of James Bulger in the UK shouldn't of been sent to jail in the UK? They just needed counselling and intervention? 

In March 2010, a call was made by England's Children's commissioner Maggie Atkinson to raise the age of criminal responsibility from ten to twelve. She said that the killers of James Bulger should have undergone "programmes" to help turn their lives around, rather than being prosecuted. The Ministry of Justice rejected the call, saying that children over the age of ten knew the difference "between bad behaviour and serious wrongdoing".[76]

• Like 1

Prancer
4 hours ago, Ernegirl said:

I was shocked to find a case in Australia where a 14yo was jailed and won’t be released.  Even worse he had just been placed in Departmental Care.  That system was certainly a let down!

• Like 1

MerryMadigralMadge

It’s always interesting to read about how different societies and judicial systems react - a 5 yo girl was killed by two 6 yo boys in Norway in the following year to James Bulger - they have retained their anonymity, there were no mugshots, charges, arrests etc. Obviously, 6 years old is different to 10, but the result would have been the same, as Norway also has a 15 yo age of criminal responsibility, but there were so many differences in how society, parents, government etc responded. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/mar/20/norway-town-forgave-child-killers

• Like 5
  • Crying 1
  • Thanks 1

Seayork2002

I do wonder how many victims parents are gun supporters themselves, not just this shooting but the many other shootings.

Nothing will change their unless everyone wants change 

• Like 4

Prancer
26 minutes ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

It’s always interesting to read about how different societies and judicial systems react - a 5 yo girl was killed by two 6 yo boys in Norway in the following year to James Bulger - they have retained their anonymity, there were no mugshots, charges, arrests etc. Obviously, 6 years old is different to 10, but the result would have been the same, as Norway also has a 15 yo age of criminal responsibility, but there were so many differences in how society, parents, government etc responded. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/mar/20/norway-town-forgave-child-killers

That was a really interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.  I do think the media have a lot to answer for.  I know the way they report suicide has been restricted, and we certainly had a case where I live where youth suicide increased and the media were seem as having a role in the increase.  And whilst the media cannot publish names of youth criminals, there are plenty of rogue fb pages around that will tell you their name.

Buying a 15yo a gun just sounds absurd!  But at the same time, I am so glad I live somewhere that it does sound absurd.  

• Like 3

LunaFreya
7 hours ago, Seayork2002 said:

I do wonder how many victims parents are gun supporters themselves, not just this shooting but the many other shootings.

Nothing will change their unless everyone wants change 

I remember after the Columbine shooting back in the 90s one of the victims were an NRA family. The dad protested an NRA conference and told the media that if the shooting had not happened he and his son would have attended as members 

If you’d like anything to blame about how the culture towards guns got fucked up,  blame the NRA. They used to be all about hunting and sport shooting. Which I don’t agree with but it’s a darn sight better than the libertarian, 5th amendment route which they were pushed down 

• Like 6

MaryanneK

I didn't realise the parents had bought him the gun! I just wonder at what point though this kind of culpability will have to spread to the gun industry - I mean if you can literally buy a gun at the supermarket over there with no background checks or anything, does it really matter that the parents bought it for him when it's that easy to get hold of a gun anyway? Or do you have to be 18? Plenty of school shootings by under 18s? So if the parents are guilty of manslaughter for putting the gun in his hand, why aren't the gun manufacturers or sellers also guilty for the same reason? 

• 100 1

BornToLove

When the mass shooter is a minor, they got the guns because they had access to unsecured guns in their home. If the shooter is an adult, there is not much stopping them from buying a gun once they decide to carry out a mass shooting (depending on the state, there are some waiting periods). 

One set of parents being convicted isn’t going to do much. Maybe in Michigan, parents will lock their guns properly, but this strategy has to be applied in every instance where a minor shot someone because their parents didn’t secure their guns across the country if it’s going to have impact. 

• Like 3

s_mdn v2.0
12 hours ago, Ernegirl said:

Oh absolutely. It’s an issue that seems to be sidestepped here each time it’s brokered.

Totes legal to strip search children on suspicion only too.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Advertisement