IGNORED

Baltimore bridge collapse

Chocolate Addict

Kiwi Bicycle

Yeah, there needs to be concrete protection baffles on the main piers into the water. There must of been near misses in the past. 

A major slip took out a road in NZ in Jan 2023 and had to basically build a bridge over the slip. They opened it on 20th December 2023 after extensive planning and 24/7 staff onsite. 3 months before scheduled and on budget. It is a truly amazing project in the middle of nowhere. So things can be done.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/509517/coromandel-highway-reconstruction-lauded-as-blueprint

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

I think the bridge was already old so I'd bet money they've got plans etc already drawn up somewhere.

Just had a look - construction started in 1972, completed in 1977 so not really so old when you consider the Sydney Harbour Bridge is 40 years older again.

• Like 5

Laridae

Having the bridge out may not cause that much havoc to traffic. There are other bridges.  31k per day sounds like a lot but to put it in perspective, the Tasman Bridge is 73k per day and Sydney Harbour Bridge is 160k per day (just cars/trucks etc). 

The shipping channel being blocked may cause more problems.

Edited by Laridae
  • Like 5
  • Surprised 1

Kiwi Bicycle
1 minute ago, Laridae said:

I suspect they will have that cleared within a week. Just need some barges, some divers with cutting torches and cranes.

• Like 1

pelagic

The Hobart bridge is undergoing strengthening soon. There are major concerns with the size of ships and a big ship could easily take it out again. The scheduled building won't really change that - ships are huge now and it would still be quite easy to hit one of the supports. They really should pull the port back to before the bridge and use the rail infrastructure there if they want to avoid another ramming. 

• Like 4

Dadwasathome
1 hour ago, Laridae said:

Having the bridge out may not cause that much havoc to traffic. There are other bridges.  31k per day sounds like a lot but to put it in perspective, the Tasman Bridge is 73k per day and Sydney Harbour Bridge is 160k per day (just cars/trucks etc). 

I saw an estimate of $15-25 million per day for the bridge being out and channel impassable.

• Surprised 2

Chocolate Addict

Biden just said the Federal government will totally cover the cost of rebuilding.

I just saw the full video with the cars zooming across, I bet those people are buying lotto tickets.

What I did find a bit weird is that the spokesperson (not sure if he was local gov or what ) said it was deemed an accident and not proof of terrorist attack.

That never even crossed my mind. Weird way to try and kill not a lot of people.

• Like 3

Over and out
2 hours ago, Tinsel said:

Just had a look - construction started in 1972, completed in 1977 so not really so old when you consider the Sydney Harbour Bridge is 40 years older again.

and not that different to West Gate

• Like 1

Bornagirl
44 minutes ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Biden just said the Federal government will totally cover the cost of rebuilding.

I just saw the full video with the cars zooming across, I bet those people are buying lotto tickets.

What I did find a bit weird is that the spokesperson (not sure if he was local gov or what ) said it was deemed an accident and not proof of terrorist attack.

There would have been a lot more cars on the bridge if there’d been no mayday warning, but I take your point.  I guess there would have been plenty happy to spread conspiracy theories if he’d not proactively denied it.  

• Like 2

ContentedFleur
50 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

There would have been a lot more cars on the bridge if there’d been no mayday warning, but I take your point.  I guess there would have been plenty happy to spread conspiracy theories if he’d not proactively denied it.  

There are people spreading conspiracy theories ALREADY. 

Talk of a convoluted plot. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2

Rosie28
1 hour ago, ContentedFleur said:

There are people spreading conspiracy theories ALREADY. 

Talk of a convoluted plot. 

There are probably people who think it wasn’t even a real bridge. The stupid is astonishing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bethlehem

Oh there also the ones blaming diversity and gay people? Gods wrath apparently. 

• Confused 1
  • Angry 4

Rosie28

I’d say “Christ on a bike!” to that but it would probably set them off on conspiracy theories about jesus returning on a bicycle.

• Haha 12

IamtheMumma
3 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Reddit has a number of conspiracy theories going already. It was the photos that made me go googling to see what had happened. Also its some how a racially motivated attack. I don't understand the details on that one.

That shop folded quicker than wet paper. Surreal. I was watching the last of the cars go past. From the straight on view, the ship looked like it was going to hit while the cars were still crossing. Horrifying. 

One must seriously consider the mentality or the mental health of those whom need to speak of conspiracy theories.

it sounded like a very serious incident where all on board or on shore did their upmost to ensure that minimal lives were lost.

• Like 2
  • 100 2

Petal71

Watching the video upthread of the simulation of that ship under the Tassie bridge, it makes you wonder how many near misses there are around the world on a daily basis. Maybe best not to know. It is still mind boggling that the energy in such a slow-moving collision is enough to bring down a massive bridge.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

I also think we should look at limiting the size of ships - bridges are fixed infrastructure, boats are able to be changed.

• Like 7
  • 100 1

LifesGood

1 hour ago, Petal71 said:

It is still mind boggling that the energy in such a slow-moving collision is enough to bring down a massive bridge.

I'm fascinated to find out more about this aspect - I'm sure there will eventually be some expert analysis and investigation. 

Not so interested in the conspiracy theories and armchair professionals.

• Like 4

LemonMyrtle
36 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

I'm fascinated to find out more about this aspect - I'm sure there will eventually be some expert analysis and investigation. 

Not so interested in the conspiracy theories and armchair professionals.

These ships are hundreds of thousands of tons of weight moving along a very low friction surface (the water) almost nothing can stop them once their engines cut out and they lose steering. A PP mentioned bridge-protecting fenders, but even those would have to be impossibly large and expensive to truly protect a bridge from a collision like this one. Generally they’re just to deflect an errant ship to the correct path, not to stop a ship.

at my last job, airbags in large trucks were being discussed and rolled out. One of the arguments for not needing an airbag in a truck is, that they weigh so much, and once moving, nothing short of ramming front-on into a cliff face will actually cause the truck to lose enough momentum, fast enough, for an airbag to even deploy. Of course, there are other situations, rollover etc, where an airbag is desirable. But as far as “how are trucks different to cars”, just the massive difference in momentum is incredible.

now, imagine a container ship, which is carrying the equivalent of 1000-5000 (I’m guessing) trucks, plus the ship weight. I’m surprised the ship stopped at all and didn’t simply run across the pylon and keep going. I guess it was going pretty slowly. 

Edited by LemonMyrtle
  • Like 10

CrankyM

@LemonMyrtle yeah, um I’ve seen what happens when a road train can’t stop on time. They take a loooooong time to slow down properly or will end up rolling and causing a massive amount of carnage. (I’ve actually driven off the road a couple of times because I’ve seen one barrelling up in my rear vision mirror and no way I speed up or them slow down in time). The baffles on the bridges wouldn’t have stopped this. Maybe redirected a small amount of the kinetic force but… ports should really be based somewhere that doesn’t requires these massive ships to go under bridges. 

• Like 8

Sancti-claws

That is the problem with ports - metropolises tend to grow around them.

• Like 8

pelagic
19 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

It would be a very effective terrorist attack if your purpose was to cripple the city. You don't really have to kill people to totally stuff up an area. Even making an airport close for a day by leaving a suspicious ticking bag somewhere is very disruptive to a city. So I can see why the possibility was considered. 

• Like 4
  • 100 2

Sugarplum Poobah
23 hours ago, Chocolate Addict said:

Baltimore is America's biggest port -- terrorism can be massive economic disruption rather than killing people

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sugarplum Poobah said:

Baltimore is America's biggest port

I just read 17th?!

image.png.01fdff71cf9b0eb174dfcd950262cfad.png

Advertisement