IGNORED

Weight loss support thread #2

Knottygirl

I do think genetics play a part too.  I have my dad's side's body makeup, whereas my mum (who is 65) can lose weight if she even puts in a tiny bit of effort and she's been post menopausal for a long time now.     She's been going to the gym about as long as I have this time and has already lost 10kg, lol.    So annoying!  Not even changing her food!

Years ago (and I was in my early 20s...so have to bear that in mind) I did stay on 1200 cals, and I did find you get used to the amount of food.  I remember vividly getting full trying to eat a kfc burger!     

It's frustrating watch my friend make the same mistakes but it's everyone's own journey....we're all on it cos we've made mistakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone tracking? I was reminded again this week how I have not let go of the demons of my past. The scales all of a sudden went up a whole kilo over my baseline aim and it made me so upset. This went on for two days, then in the afternoon of the second day it went down that kilo and has been like that for two days now. Bang, my mood improves. How stupid is that? Rhetorical question. I know it is dumb.

On 22/08/2024 at 12:31 PM, banyan said:

How's everyone tracking? I was reminded again this week how I have not let go of the demons of my past. The scales all of a sudden went up a whole kilo over my baseline aim and it made me so upset. This went on for two days, then in the afternoon of the second day it went down that kilo and has been like that for two days now. Bang, my mood improves. How stupid is that? Rhetorical question. I know it is dumb.

I think we've all been there, heh.  I mean, I weighed during my period and was still upset it was a kg higher.

I'm doing okay, just hard to hear about people losing like, 20kg in two months when I have lost around 5kg.  

I knew it would be slow but kinda not THIS slow.  I go to the gym 5 x a week (my fitness has definitely improved), and i usually add in a second walk most days, so around 10-12k steps per day.  I stick to around 1600/1700 calories.   I started at 76 kg, today I was 71.3.

• Thanks 1

Yay, weighed this morning and I've finally hit 70.9.   900 more grams and I can reward myself for hitting my first goal as I will have lost 6kg. I wanted to book a PT but made myself lose at least 6kg by myself first.

Haven't been this weight since 2014.

Edited by Tess32
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

70.4 this morning, so looks like I'm losing about half a kg a week at the mo.  I did go out to dinner one night last week and had to have kfc on Father's day (don't ask) but still lost the half a kg!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLLY have reached my first goal, out of the 70s, into the 60s.  I am now 69.7, lowest weight I've been for many years I think!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I’ve lost 2.5-3 kg in 2 months. Not particularly fast weight loss but I am eating around 1800 calories a day and trying to exercise most days. I probably need to do more on the diet side. Have at least 10kg to go.

1 hour ago, Elfie34 said:

I’ve lost 2.5-3 kg in 2 months. Not particularly fast weight loss but I am eating around 1800 calories a day and trying to exercise most days. I probably need to do more on the diet side. Have at least 10kg to go.

That's heaps in a short time, I think we're just used to hearing ridiculously quick amounts.  Better to be slow and steady.  I have about 10kg to go as well, I'm doing 1500 cals a day now (but I'm short).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tess32 said:

That's heaps in a short time, I think we're just used to hearing ridiculously quick amounts.  Better to be slow and steady.  I have about 10kg to go as well, I'm doing 1500 cals a day now (but I'm short).

Yeah unfortunately the early loss through water, given we’re eating differently, is counted as ‘loss’ when it’s only fat loss that matters. 

• 3 weeks later...

Weight loss is so strange.  I stalled for two weeks but then this week I have lost 500gm overnight one night and 500 another for a total of 1kg this last week.  I have really upped my activity (5km every day walk plus gym) so not too surprised but it's nice to feel it pay off after this much effort!    Now at 68.7 after starting at 76kg.

• Like 2

LifesGood

Well I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy but I've lost 2kg in 2 weeks following elective surgery on my feet. No I didn't have my feet amputated so I suspect it's a combination of muscle loss due to forced bedrest and a lack of appetite. Currently 55.7kg. 15 months ago I was 68.5kg.

• Like 1

Bornagirl
35 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

Well I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy but I've lost 2kg in 2 weeks following elective surgery on my feet. No I didn't have my feet amputated so I suspect it's a combination of muscle loss due to forced bedrest and a lack of appetite. Currently 55.7kg. 15 months ago I was 68.5kg.

I had an adrenal gland removed - one of the best days of my life, cured 20 years of significant illnesses. Major surgery in terms of length and delicacy.

I picked the wrong person to joke with though. The endocrine surgeon was brilliant but ... banter wasn't his thing.

When he came to tell me the pathology results he said it weighed 6.5 grams.

I said 'all that for 6.5 grams!'.  He didn't laugh. I was mortified.

Bornagirl
37 minutes ago, LifesGood said:

On the muscle loss, yep I can definitely tell the difference in my body at the same weight, fit vs unfit.

Advertisement