IGNORED

Weight loss support thread #2

Knottygirl

I’m a little scared about my weigh in tomorrow. We’ve been in Sydney for 3 days. (Shake it off, shake it off!!) I am quite proud that I didn’t totally throw caution to the wind; I kept tracking my WW points and tried to make the most sensible decisions I could, while still eating where the kids wanted to- like Slim’s Original Burgers! If you count the activity weekly points, I managed to stay in points, as we did a lot of walking and stair climbing. If you don’t count the extra points from activity, I totally blew it- lol!

But I’m proud of myself for my mindset. Instead of throwing all caution to the wind, which had the potential to totally derail me, my mindset has stayed solid, which means I made sensible choices. So when DD wanted to try Baskins and Robbins, I got one scoop only. Sure, it was still a whopping 19 points, but at least I didn’t get 2 scoops!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Fruitmincepies
2 hours ago, Bornagirl said:

My problem with almonds, is if I have them in the house, I don't end up with any in the house, they're all in me.

I can resist some things, but nuts are a particular weakness.

You could try adding almond meal instead - it’s not much fun to eat by itself, but blends into things very easily. 

• Like 2

Bornagirl
6 hours ago, Fruitmincepies said:

You could try adding almond meal instead - it’s not much fun to eat by itself, but blends into things very easily. 

Good thinking, I do have almond meal, thanks.

dianalynch

@Bornagirl thanks for the food tips, I’m basically eating high protein yogurt with berries for most lunches (something a bit more substantial a couple of times in the week), dinner, and a snack…I’ve lost 1.5kg quite quickly (a week) although I think about 1kg of that is real….and I’ll try to knock off the remaining weight within about 6 weeks. The later in the day  I leave it to eat, the better I seem to manage.  

my clothes are sitting better already…it’s motivating. I’ll treat myself to a new outfit or two when I reach my goal. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

UnknownUser

Weigh in for me today. I was 66.6kg at the start of the month and I am 63kg now. I did do a mid way weigh (and was 64kg) after changing my routine a bit. So still heading in the downward direction! 

I’ll continue along with the status quo for another month and then reassess what I do once I reach maintenance mode. I am really liking the sound of adding a fruit smoothie (thinking açai, banana or mango, yoghurt, chia seeds and almond meal) thanks to all these earlier suggestions. Thanks. That may be enough to allow me to maintain target weight but continue with my activities. 

• Like 7

Bornagirl
5 minutes ago, dianalynch said:

@Bornagirl thanks for the food tips, I’m basically eating high protein yogurt with berries for most lunches (something a bit more substantial a couple of times in the week), dinner, and a snack…I’ve lost 1.5kg quite quickly (a week) although I think about 1kg of that is real….and I’ll try to knock off the remaining weight within about 6 weeks. The later in the day  I leave it to eat, the better I seem to manage.  

my clothes are sitting better already…it’s motivating. I’ll treat myself to a new outfit or two when I reach my goal. 

Great news!

The Perform YoPro higher proten are on special at Woolworths this week, so I got one of each to try. (20g per tub)

As yoghurts go, they're not my favourite, but my favourite only has 5g per tub, and these certainly make a change from Cottage cheese every single bloody day.

I've actually had three days 'off' - not stuffing my face, but for a few reasons eating more than I have been, and am half a kilo up, which is what I expected, and remind myself how thrilled I'd have been with this weight two weeks ago.

We've still go three weeks till we leave for South Africa, and the first week is independent, so I can work on keeping room for the food fest of the following days.

It's funny, I feel like most of my adult life I've felt as though I'm not doing my body justice as I didn't eat breakfast, and now it's all the rage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CrankyM

I was still at 62.7 two days ago. Which considering I've been on a carb fest is... interesting. I've been trying to balance my craving for carbs with protein, like for diabetes. So, yes, yesterday I had pasta, but it was also balanced with tuna, a bit of cottage cheese and peas and a not huge serve. I know why I'm craving carbs, it's the pre-af cravings. (And earlier in the week it was turkish bread but I had it with a lentil/split pea tomato dahl)

I don't mind the YoPro high protein yoghurt or the chobani equivalent, but mainly because they are not sweet. But also not super sour like Greek yoghurt. My favorite yoghurts, despite having the greek label are not that big on protein.

Oh and have always hated breakfast. I never used to eat until recess when at school. And then it was usually just a snack. Lunch was more first real meal of the day. And I still often do this and don't eat until 11/12.

• Like 3

Bornagirl
21 minutes ago, CrankyM said:

I was still at 62.7 two days ago. Which considering I've been on a carb fest is... interesting. I've been trying to balance my craving for carbs with protein, like for diabetes. So, yes, yesterday I had pasta, but it was also balanced with tuna, a bit of cottage cheese and peas and a not huge serve. I know why I'm craving carbs, it's the pre-af cravings. (And earlier in the week it was turkish bread but I had it with a lentil/split pea tomato dahl)

I don't mind the YoPro high protein yoghurt or the chobani equivalent, but mainly because they are not sweet. But also not super sour like Greek yoghurt. My favorite yoghurts, despite having the greek label are not that big on protein.

Oh and have always hated breakfast. I never used to eat until recess when at school. And then it was usually just a snack. Lunch was more first real meal of the day. And I still often do this and don't eat until 11/12.

It's interesting about the Greek yoghurts.  I read somewhere that the Greek yoghurts are the highest in protein.  My Yalna greek yoghurt has much the same protein as my beloved Caramelised Fig (a lot less sugar of course, but that's another topic).  When I read that, I had visions of eating the plain yoghurt with some cinnamon sugar, or a bit of honey, so that's a bit disappointing.

CrankyM

@Bornagirl I like the Farmer's Union or Jalna Greek Vanilla, but both are only 5-6g protein. The chobani one is a nice alternative but my damned local supermarket rarely carries it (13.3g/160g serve).

• Like 1

Etcetera

Woolies stopped stocking our favourite yoghurt and brought out their own version which I refuse to buy. I've found it occasionally in NQR and have started using it to make my own. I find the Greek yoghurts a bit too tart.

I go through phases of needing to eat breakfast or I feel sick but mostly I try to hold out until about 11am. I do have a cup of tea when I wake up though.

Made delicious Turkish Mezze last night and couldn't be stuffed working it calories so just chucked 400 in my app and went to bed. Worked out the recipes this morning and it came to about 330 so pretty happy with that. 

Lunch out with friends tomorrow. I've downloaded the menu and there's a nice roast pumpkin and spinach salad with your choice of protein so that sounds perfect. 

• Like 2

Fruitmincepies
4 hours ago, UnknownUser said:

I am really liking the sound of adding a fruit smoothie (thinking açai, banana or mango, yoghurt, chia seeds and almond meal)

Add some spinach - you don’t notice the flavour, just the colour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Etcetera

Spinach is the best in smoothies. Doesn't make it look the best if you have blueberries - the purple and green turn into swamp sludge. Delicious and nutritious though!

Edited by Etcetera
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

CrankyM

Am I the only one not particularly fond of smoothies? I think it’s a texture issue. 

Edited by CrankyM

I hate smoothies.

I have also stagnated in the weight loss front as I have been imbibing calories of an alcoholic nature. Fucking stress. Good news is I haven’t gained.

• Like 2
  • Care 3

Bornagirl
10 hours ago, CCABW said:

I hate smoothies.

I have also stagnated in the weight loss front as I have been imbibing calories of an alcoholic nature. Fucking stress. Good news is I haven’t gained.

With hindsight, I think stagnating can be good for your body.  I had a week including a few days with alcohol, and a few days eating a 'normal' amount of food.  Theoretically, my calorie count for the week was below what I'd need for maintenance weight for the week, but that's not the way it works when losing.   This morning I'm exactly the same as I was a week ago, and am really happy about that.

• Like 4

dianalynch

I had a ‘normal’ day of eating yesterday and today am sitting at 67kg, I’m happy with that as I’ve lost a genuine kilo. Now for the next one! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

How is everyone going? It is a cold day here and I am hungry. This is so frustrating, because this is what leads to my weight gain every winter. I need to move to FNQ.

Anyway, I look so different now, in a good way. Most of the frumpy look is gone. Here's to hoping I do a better job over winter this year. Historically, the data does not indicate future success. I know what to do: make a huge pot of soup and eat that when I want to snack. Reality can look quite different, though.

• Like 2

Bornagirl
6 hours ago, banyan said:

How is everyone going? It is a cold day here and I am hungry. This is so frustrating, because this is what leads to my weight gain every winter. I need to move to FNQ.

Anyway, I look so different now, in a good way. Most of the frumpy look is gone. Here's to hoping I do a better job over winter this year. Historically, the data does not indicate future success. I know what to do: make a huge pot of soup and eat that when I want to snack. Reality can look quite different, though.

Cold foods are certainly not as appealing when it's cold. I eat salads.  I like salads.  But I don't LOVE salads.  Vege soup is great in cold weather, but I'm afraid I do love my chunk of sourdough with an inch of butter to go with it. 🤣

Brilliantly, until you take into account the fact that I've discovered I drop half a kilo the morning after a 30k bike ride. I'm thinking I might take Hydralite before our next ride.  I drink what I need, but I think what happens is that as my heart rate stays high)er) for hours after the ride, my skin is losing moisture overnight.  I might ask for aldosterone to be measured again if I'm going to keep up this exercise - last measurement was way below normal BUT that was soon after I had one removed and the other was suppressed. My weight tends to jump up about 400g the next day, so clearly it's only water loss.

We have a visitor for dinner tonight, and there WILL be wine, so I'm expecting to jump up before starting to drop again, which is fine. 

• Thanks 1

Bornagirl

Some useful bits of information here, but as so often happens, the black & white thinking about breakfast.

https://www.theage.com.au/goodfood/the-10-most-common-questions-a-dietitian-is-asked-about-food-20240301-p5f90k.html

While some fasting regimes have inadvertently suggested breakfast is not so important, from a metabolic and appetite regulation perspective, there is a lot to be said for including a protein-rich breakfast in your day within an hour or two of waking. Not only does a breakfast meal add key nutrients to the diet, it also helps to shift daily calorie intake towards the first half of the day, and helps to avoid the snacking and grazing that is associated with skipping or pushing the first meal of the day to late morning.

Um, the snacking & grazing happen to me WHEN I eat breakfast.   Inadvertent?  Nah, suggesting skipping breakfast is for those of us for whom it works.  If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.  The idea that there is only one way to eat and stay a healthy weight is part of the reason so many are not.  Just like the weigh yourself every day/ only weigh yourself once a month / never weigh yourself: do whatever works for you.

The only times breakfast lasts me for a long time, is places like a buffet breakfast, where I've already eaten the majority of my daily calorie needs, and I'm really quite full.

• Like 5
  • Care 2

CrankyM

I eat when I’m hungry. If I’m not hungry until 11 then that’s fine. It’s not a fad thing, I’ve been like this since I was a toddler (it drove my mother absolutely insane). Such a black and white view. Also if I eat breakfast, more then likely I will be grazing alllll day. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Etcetera

So I put on a kilo last week - no idea why - and have just now dropped below what I was. Very annoyed. I still have almost 7kg to go before I got healthy weight range and my goal is in 7weeks so that's not happening. Need to adjust my goal so I'm not constantly feeling like I'm failing. 

• Care 4

CrankyM

@Etcetera putting on random kilos is perfectly normal. Annoying, but normal.

So I am again losing some but very very slowly. But... a number of my favorite pieces of clothes are now loose and are either going to need alterations or to be replaced. That's made me a little sad as much of it is things I've bought a fair while ago. Not expensive, but clothes that are bright and fun and comfortable. I'm in a weird spot between sizes too, so new stuff feels tight, but a size up is too big.

But I also fit into a skirt I loved from 15 years ago and refused to give up (silk chiffon in cream and grey). My legs are looking fine with all my exercise (I need the weight to move from the waist and upper body. I'm looking a bit top heavy at the moment.)

• Like 2

Bornagirl
21 hours ago, Etcetera said:

So I put on a kilo last week - no idea why - and have just now dropped below what I was. Very annoyed. I still have almost 7kg to go before I got healthy weight range and my goal is in 7weeks so that's not happening. Need to adjust my goal so I'm not constantly feeling like I'm failing. 

Some people's weight loss seems to be in a straight downward line, but that does seem to be the minority in my personal experience.   I varied by 700g the other day.  Doesn't matter how much I hydrate, shower etc after a 30k bike ride (not in extreme heat, but twenties) I drop significantly the next morning.  Day after that, despite still exercising (4k walk plus gym, or yoga or somesuch) it will bounce back up again.

Totally agree that your goal needs to be achievable. My understanding is that (unless seriously overweight) it's difficult for the body to lose more than 1/3 - 1/2 a kilo of FAT a week, and anything else is lower blood volume (from eating differently) and/or loss of muscle, and you don't want either of those.

How often do you weigh yourself?  Did you weigh yourself at the same time as the previous week (best way is when you first get up after your first pee)?

I find people can vary enormously in how helpful the scales are - from every day, to not at all. Whatever works to be healthy.

Getting back on the horse. So after a month of starving but having alcohol calories I am now doing fast 800 again. This morning 69.6. I want to get to 65 by end of month if I can.

• Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2

Advertisement