IGNORED

Scam alert: Taylor Swift tickets

Scamwatch

Scamwatch

Published

24 Jan 2024

Summary

People wanting to buy Taylor Swift tickets should be cautious of scammers selling fake tickets through compromised social media accounts.

Background
Scammers are targeting Taylor Swift fans with fake ticket sales through social media, ahead of her Eras Tour in February.

Over 270 people have reported being scammed this way, with NSW and Victoria affected in particular.

This scam activity is expected to increase leading up to Swift's Australian concert dates in mid-February.

How to spot this scam

• You receive a social media message or see a post offering Taylor Swift tickets for sale from someone you think you know. 
  • They might have a story about why they can’t go to the concert and are selling the tickets 'at cost'.
  • They may try to rush you to buy the tickets and transfer them money, referring to the high demand for tickets.

Examples of the scam

Screenshot of Taylor Swift social media ticket scam. Message reads 'Hello Swifties, We have 4 extra Taylor Swift tickets for Accor Stadium' and includes ticket details and directions on how to contact the scammer
Screenshot of Taylor Swift social media ticket scam. Message reads 'Hello everyone. I'm selling my 4x Taylor Swift tickets for Melbourne' and includes directions on how to contact the scammer through private message

Read the full article at www.scamwatch.gov.au

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• STBG 2

• amdirel

• Hills Mum Bec

• lozoodle

Top Posters In This Topic

Hills Mum Bec

I have seen so many posts in my FB groups from people claiming to have Taylor Swift tickets for sale.

There are people who bought up big on tickets who now realise that it is an expense they can't afford. I know someone with buyer regret who feels so awful spending so much money on what was essentially a whim.

There will be some legitimate tickets for re sale. 

21 minutes ago, Hills Mum Bec said:

I have seen so many posts in my FB groups from people claiming to have Taylor Swift tickets for sale.

Me too. Thankfully all the comments they get so far are sarcastic and having a laugh, because they know they're scams. 

3 hours ago, STBG 2 said:

There are people who bought up big on tickets who now realise that it is an expense they can't afford. I know someone with buyer regret who feels so awful spending so much money on what was essentially a whim.

There will be some legitimate tickets for re sale. 

I spent thousands and have zero regrets ❤️

• Haha 1

Advertisement