IGNORED

Scales

Odd-1-Out

Odd-1-Out

I bought a cheap set of scales to track my weight loss. Problem is, everywhere I move them there is a 2kg difference give or take when I stand on them. This then makes me question their accuracy even left in the same place. What scales is everyone using to track their progress?

We have whitings ones, they’re great. You really do get what you pay for with scales I find. 

• Like 1

WaitForMe

We have Withings too, I do love the features but there is one issue with it. Our bathroom is small and the kids get water everywhere, and the scale is not waterproof to splashes at all. We had to replace it. It now lives in the bedroom and gets a little forgotten about. But it does seem to be accurate and consistent, and I love that it shows a graph over several days and uploads to my phone.

However, my Tanita scale that I replaced, survived our bathroom for about 15 years before I decided on upgrading. It was also very consistent and seemed accurate.

18 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

We have Withings too, I do love the features but there is one issue with it. Our bathroom is small and the kids get water everywhere, and the scale is not waterproof to splashes at all. We had to replace it. It now lives in the bedroom and gets a little forgotten about. But it does seem to be accurate and consistent, and I love that it shows a graph over several days and uploads to my phone.

However, my Tanita scale that I replaced, survived our bathroom for about 15 years before I decided on upgrading. It was also very consistent and seemed accurate.

Mine lives in the bathroom and seems fine with splashes etc. It’s a glass one and i don’t even bother to dry it off…I will now though!

Fruitmincepies

You can use a level to find a level location in your house which should improve the accuracy. Bathrooms tend to be uneven so the water will drain away, so are often not good locations for scales. Also a hard surface, carpet is no good. If you leave it in one spot, you can check the accuracy over a period of time by weighing the same thing (not a person, something that won’t change weight) and see if it varies. 

(There is every chance you know all this and have done it, but I feel it’s worth a mention just in case, before you go buy more scales)

• Like 1

Greenbean

I used the work at a gym/weightloss centre and we'd advise people to weigh themselves on a somewhat similar and consistent basis. eg before a workout OR after a workout. If the weighed before one week and after the week after it wasn't a like for like.

So choose a time of day (eg before breakfast but after a 💩 as an example) and measure at that same time.

I used to weigh myself a few times during a shift for interest (these were very fancy scales) and they'd fluctuate quite a bit depending on when I'd eat lunch or go to the loo

• Like 1

Advertisement