IGNORED

Cost of living #3

Blueskies12

39 minutes ago, magic_marker said:

Optus Fail.

200gb of free data.

That's nice.

What are you going to give customers on "unlimited" data?

yeah, big of them I thought, given that would cost them very little, and significant numbers would get no benefit.  Doesn't give some of the businesses their turnover back.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gumbette said:

Apparently her parents pay the fees, but wouldn't you help them with a house deposit first?

To me security of tenure esp with young kids is far more important than private schooling.

• Like 5
  • 100 4

4 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

To me security of tenure esp with young kids is far more important than private schooling.

Because it’s nothing worse than living in a car and trying to go to a private school. 

My dad's grandmother loaned him a deposit in the 60s to buy a house. He was a blue collar worker and she wasn't rich. But she wanted to help my dad get a property.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:38 PM, Lesley225 said:

That’s what I thought too!  Current years schools fees at close to $50k would go a long way towards a home deposit.  I was stressed seeing them move, never mind actually being in the situation. 

Edited by Gumbette
  • Like 2
  • 100 2

16 hours ago, MerryMadigralMadge said:

Also, my youngest sibling only paid off his HECS debt at about 35, and that was before the hikes in HECS - if I had that kind of money to pay towards my child's education, it would be directed at her tertiary education or supporting her in early adulthood, to be able to enjoy tertiary education etc. 

We're in the privileged position that DH's parents are wealthy and they offered to help pay for the kids' school fees. We said "thanks but no thanks" as we had decided not the send DS to the extremely high fees school DH went to (and a hard no to sending DD to the sister school). But since they are keen to contribute to grandkids education we have suggested that they contribute to HECS fees instead. I'm horrified at how much they are and disgusted at the political stratification if fees for different types of courses. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, magic_marker said:

I’ve been asking myself this question today.

How loud were the Boomers when interest rates were at 0.1?

How excited were home buyers that interest rates were at 0.1?

The tables have turned and now the media want to be upset with the Boomers.

Thats kind of shite.

that is a really interesting point.

and take that one step further where people who can spend should not do so to help inflation. Many of those in that situation were struggling when interest rates were so low. Now they are actually getting some money now that interest rates are back at a more normal level. So quite possibly spending for the first time in a while

• Like 2
  • 100 4

I just changed internet providers.  Wasn’t going to but I had a notification that our plan would be going to $90 per month.  Swapped to a plan which is $75 per month with Paramount + included and 25000 woollies points.  Happened almost immediately and my internet is faster already.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask you you changed from and to, @Meepy?

Ours just went up to $90 too. We are with Optus, but I keep harassing DP to have a look what else is out there. We typically have Paramount+ too at an extra cost.

Thanks!

eta....the reason I nag DP to do it is that it’s all in his name, so I can’t cancel the old plan, he has to do it.

Edited by BECZ

We just changed to Superloop for our broadband and because Optus was getting rid of my great grandfathered Virgin mobile deal ( $10 extra per month) I changed my mobile to them as well. Bundled together, you get $5 off your broadband per month, up to $ 15 ( so 3 mobile numbers). It's $69 per month.

DH is in IT and works from home. It was the best deal he could find from a provider he trusts won't fold. 

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle
  • Thanks 1

We went from iprimus to origin.  We had to ring them to change something on our modem and it was so much better speaking to someone working from Morwell who understood my accent, rather than iprimus who put me through about 5 different people, none of whom could understand what I needed.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

A lot of tins and packets there, more than i'd buy.  But no real snacks.  People ate less.

Can't have been here in Australia.

I think our currency was different until 1966.

• 100 1

We used pounds shillings and pence till 14/2/66.

More likely to be American (esp as I can't recognise any brands) but perhaps changed so people could understand the currency now?

1 hour ago, Lesley225 said:

A lot of tins and packets there, more than i'd buy.  But no real snacks.  People ate less.

I keep telling myself that the best way to save money and have a lower environmental impact is to eat less (because I definitely eat more than is strictly necessary to support my health). I’d also fit into my smaller clothes which would further contribute to both those goals. But it is much easier to say than to do.

Edited by Bjh
  • 100 6

6 minutes ago, Lesley225 said:

Yeah not a lot of fresh fruit and veg.

Snacks would've been made, I'd imagine. A big packet of sugar there. I'm sure just like now there were other ingredients in the cupboard.

I think those black boxes middle front are eggs? Thats a lot of eggs! Must've been eggs for breakfast all round.

I can remember way back when of not having snack food at all.

Home made desserts.

And if we got a treat it was a 20c lolly bag.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, magic_marker said:

image.thumb.png.f08fe64c701a53dcab1ecc8e12da0274.pngWaiting on a part for my time machine. Probably cost me more than $12.50

She looks chuffed. After enduring shortages in the war and there may still have been rationing too, I think it extended beyond WW2 IIRC?

I think contemporary food shopping is starting to align more with the Thirties, unfortunately.

• Like 3

My grandparents’ snacks: bread and jam, banana sandwiches, cold meat sandwiches. Scones with butter only. Lots of tea and homemade cakes and puddings.

• Like 5
  • 100 1

42 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

Yeah not a lot of fresh fruit and veg.

Snacks would've been made, I'd imagine. A big packet of sugar there. I'm sure just like now there were other ingredients in the cupboard.

I think those black boxes middle front are eggs? Thats a lot of eggs! Must've been eggs for breakfast all round.

People tended to have a veggie patch and some fruit trees in their yard back then too.

The extra eggs would have gone into baking as well.  

• Like 6
  • 100 1

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

People tended to have a veggie patch and some fruit trees in their yard back then too.

The extra eggs would have gone into baking as well.  

My grandmothers both had huge vegetable patches and fruit trees. Lots of jams and preserved fruit/ chutneys were stored away. And both grandmothers  worked full time during the week, one as a seamstress, the other at a mattress factory. Weekends were for looking after the garden, washing clothes and other chores and baking. Oh and going to church. Later on lawn bowls and the RSA were their social outings.

• Like 8

Agree that there was snacking, just different snacking.

A lot of old cookbooks would reflect that. There's also lots of diet guides from the time that lay out "a healthy day's meals for a growing boy" and so on. Lots more homemade cakes, breads, tinned fruits. 

I am fascinated by the two big bags of salt though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magic_marker said:

image.thumb.png.f08fe64c701a53dcab1ecc8e12da0274.pngWaiting on a part for my time machine. Probably cost me more than $12.50

Has nobody commented on the two packets of salt? And is that butter on the left (to bake the snacks that are missing)? It's an odd assortment of food looking at it with my 2023 lens on.

Advertisement