IGNORED

Israel-Palestine conflict

nom_de_plume

nom_de_plume
4 minutes ago, ImperatorFuriosa said:

Isn't it always boiling over again?

It's certainly always simmering along. Occasionally boils over. 

• Like 2

It’s quite a significant attack.  They have reportedly taken hostages from Israel back into the Gaza Strip. 
It also shows that high tech surveillance did not work on this occasion to pick up on the preparations for such a large scale surprise attack.

• Like 2

So sad today for the innocents whom have been affected by this. May peace come to them soon but based on history it may be a long time coming. 

• Like 5

So upset by this after being there for the first ten days last month.  Very interesting when you see and hear about the bigger picture and realise all acts don't make headlines, but they have the same end result.

When deciding whether to spend our last two weeks: Israel and Occupied territories/more of Turkey/Romania & Bulgaria, we decided on Israel as we figured that was most likely to be the place we might not be able to get/would be wise to avoid  in the coming years.

Little did we know how soon that would happen.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 2
  • Sad 9

I don’t even pretend to understand all the ins and outs of such a complicated region. But it did seem to me there was relative stability in recent years? This seems well beyond what’s been the usual recent simmering tensions. It seems to have been a coordinated and targeted attack? I do not see things settling down anytime soon. I have no doubt Israel will take swift and harsh revenge.

So so sad for all innocent civilians involved.

And as someone else stated - the very last thing our world needs is another active conflict.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

So upset by this after being there for the first ten days last month.  Very interesting when you see and hear about the bigger picture and realise all acts don't make headlines, but they have the same end result.

When deciding whether to spend our last two weeks: Israel and Occupied territories/more of Turkey/Romania & Bulgaria, we decided on Israel as we figured that was most likely to be the place we might not be able to get/would be wise to avoid  in the coming years.

Little did we know how soon that would happen.

That must be a confronting moment for you.  No doubt they have now stopped flights.  It’s such a small area too.  The size from Newcastle to Wollongong, someone told me, so the impact will be felt by everyone there.

This situation is terrifying. My SIL’s family live there, currently safe in a shelter, but have an 18 yr old doing his compulsory military service.  And it’s been going on for so long, it’s horrendous for all the innocent people to have to live this way

and there is so much that isn’t being shown in the media as well.

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Care 9
  • Crying 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Iamferalz said:

That must be a confronting moment for you.  No doubt they have now stopped flights.  It’s such a small area too.  The size from Newcastle to Wollongong, someone told me, so the impact will be felt by everyone there.

I had a look at the Turkish Airlines site, and the only thing they're saying is that flights can be refunded regardless of fare type (with timing considerations). We booked cancellable flights (for little more than non cancellable, surprisingly).  Tel Aviv's a long way from Gaza (edited, originally accidentally said West Bank) in terms of rockets etc.

My understanding has gone through the roof, but is still just the tip of the iceberg.  It definitely gives me a chance to read the news through different eyes though.

Even just practically, when they talk about Jerusalem (no fighting from either side at this stage) I know what they're talking about when they reference the Al - Aqsa mosque, which I'd never heard of until then, and had no idea it was one of Islam's top three holy sites.

No idea if Intrepid will go ahead with their tours, we were in and out of the West Bank like a yoyo, each time fairly quick, but I should imagine those checks have probably become more thorough.

That said, West Bank is a long way from Gaza, and we can't even enter Gaza (something I didn't know).

Edited by Bornagirl
Meant to say Tel Aviv's a long was from Gaza.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, nom_de_plume said:

It's certainly always simmering along. Occasionally boils over. 

I think it is way worse than a simmer.

The world averts its eyes for political reasons.

• Like 6
  • 100 1

Dadwasathome
23 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

Apart from the military intelligence embarrassment I can’t see how this evil attack benefits Palestinians.

Especially when it see most of the world siding with Israel under Netanyahu's awful authoritarian leadership. I support a two state solution, but I support neither Hamas or Netanyahu.

• Like 10
  • Crying 2

8 minutes ago, Dadwasathome said:

Apart from the military intelligence embarrassment I can’t see how this evil attack benefits Palestinians.

Especially when it see most of the world siding with Israel under Netanyahu's awful authoritarian leadership. I support a two state solution, but I support neither Hamas or Netanyahu.

It's an amazing failure of a world class intelligence service.

Couldn't be better for Netanyahu.

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

One side hits, the other side hits back more savagely.

Remove men from this situation and there actually might be peace. No one wants to see naked women paraded around or dead kids in parents arms.

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

The world also does little because there is nothing they can realistically do to improve the situation.  

• Like 5
  • 100 6

Dadwasathome
14 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

It's an amazing failure of a world class intelligence service.

Couldn't be better for Netanyahu.

I hadn’t considered that type of conspiracy. I’d want evidence before supporting it, but Netanyahu has had a difficult year trying to cement his authoritarian rule.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

The world also does little because there is nothing they can realistically do to improve the situation.  

It's a mess going back to decisions made decades ago.

However,there are strong political forces, in the US particularly, that make moving forward to try and manage the situation very difficult. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dadwasathome said:

I hadn’t considered that type of conspiracy. I’d want evidence before supporting it, but Netanyahu has had a difficult year trying to cement his authoritarian rule.

It seems far-fetched to me but Mossad isn't incompetent by any means.

I've been surprised by many things the last few years that seemed totally impossible.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

It seems far-fetched to me but Mossad isn't incompetent by any means.

I've been surprised by many things the last few years that seemed totally impossible.

I wonder also whether Mossad was both distracted by the internal turmoil with the mass protests against watering down the Israeli Supreme Court powers and also thinking that because Israel was starting to be accepted by some parts of the Arab world they the focus wasn’t as great anymore?

Still, I think something like what Hamas has done must have involved years of planning.  

• Like 1

There's some talk that intelligence and military was moved to the opposite side of Israel against Mossad advice.

US intelligence must have been asleep as well.

Trump might have royally fucked to up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

There's some talk that intelligence and military was moved to the opposite side of Israel against Mossad advice.

US intelligence must have been asleep as well.

Trump might have royally fucked to up.

Genuine question - what does Trump have to do with it?

• Like 2

Advertisement